Mac App Store

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by thomalex89, Aug 1, 2011.

1. thomalex89

thomalex89 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    #1 thomalex89, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
    Has anyone had any success with the Mac App Store? I more interested in smaller developers and Indies.

2. ThunderGameWorks

ThunderGameWorks Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2009
    So you aren't interested in larger devs OR indie devs?

3. BravadoWaffle

BravadoWaffle Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Designer
    No, we are not interested in the valuable insights that anybody who has found success on the Mac App store could offer.

If you have found success, and thus become a large developer, please refrain from commenting here. Your knowledge and experience is useless to us.

We prefer only to hear sad sack stories of those who have made $500 or less on their apps and blame "luck" as the primary reason why we have not found any success.

:p

4. ImStrapped

ImStrapped Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2011
    ThunderGameWorks, I hope you sense the sarcasm here :)

5. thomalex89

thomalex89 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Let me rephrase that has ANYONE small or large have any success with the Mac APP store. Being that I am a small developer I would like to hear from them primarily, but if your large developer with some insight please feel free to chime in.

6. BravadoWaffle

BravadoWaffle Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Designer
    #6 BravadoWaffle, Aug 1, 2011
    No no no! That's not what we do here on the TA Developers forum! Thomalex, you are new so let me explain:

We don't "listen" to those who have made $1 million+ off their games on the app store, we don't want to hear their "advice."

We just want to tell them why they are wrong, and why their success and experience amount to nothing. They are just "lucky" and like to look down on the rest of us from their hilltop villas in their expensive suits as they sip mint juleps and twirl their mustaches arrogantly.

Hopefully you can get with the program here and join the herd. :D

edit: sorry, I will stop trolling now. I was actually wondering if the Mac App store was any good myself, so maybe I should shut up and hope somebody with something useful to add to the conversation steps in...

7. thomalex89

thomalex89 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    BravadoWaffle you're funny.

8. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

Deja vu. I'm sure this question came up recently? And I'm sure I gave the same answer.

I know of a couple of devs who reached the top 5 games on the mac store US. they were getting a few hundred downloads a day. So much smaller than the iphone app store.

9. yemi

yemi Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    #9 yemi, Aug 1, 2011
    The 1st time I let it go , as I know this was a direct shot at me. The 2nd time na , now I wont let it go your asking for it. Bravo believe's its all skill and no luck to reach the top of the appstore. He believe's games like doodle jump is vastly superior to the games below it , thats why its so popular. He believes there is some secret method to reaching high in the appstore and one day a successfull developer will tell us this secret.
    I believe you make a game as good as you can and if you dont succeed then make a better one. No matter how good your game is , its still luck to reach the top of the appstore. I believe in luck for apple to pick your game to be featured in new and noteworthy in the front page of the appstore. Just make the best game you can and market as hard as you can. This wont guarentee you success at all but give you a better shot. But somehow idiot developers think Iam off target and off base. They dont realize thier the stupid ones.

Attached Files:

10. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I'm not sure that's the realization to be made here...

11. yemi

yemi Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Ok well yeah there is favoritism that also plays a part too. So I guess in your mind my Flybird game is bad that's why it hasnt blown up yet . But if someone else made it , it would be a hit game. Let me show you how smart I am , go ahead and put on the front page that our game is bad and rate it 1 star. I know you wont , thats how smart I am.
    You keep telling these developers good games always rise to the top of appstore. Thats a slap in the face of developers who know they have a great game but just wasnt luckly enough to get noticed. So go ahead and review my game and tear it up to pieces with a 1 star . That way after these updates that we got planned go though and game blows up , you can look real smart.

Attached Files:

12. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

We only post about games we'd recommend to others.

13. yemi

yemi Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Really then what about this section here
    http://toucharcade.com/category/ratings/2-stars/

Well like I said even our game is great , you still wouldnt post it anyway. So do you recommend bad games to others? You said you only cover games you recommend but I see alot of 2 star ,2.5 star ,and 3 star catagories, should people buy those games? Like I said you wont cover it because of other factors like favoratism toward some and not others. Also of course you have to cover whats already hot , this is still a buisness I understand that fully.
    The only part I hate is you acting like everyone has a fair shot , which I know isnt the case. You just lied now and will say whatever becuase of the position your in. Best believe I can see right threw you easily, your arent as fair as a person as your claiming to be.

14. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

We review games we wouldn't fully recommend when they're noteworthy or otherwise have some redeeming quality to them that makes them worth checking out. I assure you, your game fits neither of those two categories.

15. yemi

yemi Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    More to the point you just changed your 1st statement , I thought you dont review any game you wouldnt recommend now your story fumbles and changes already.
    Since Flybird is so bad in your mind tell me here whats so bad about it ? I would love to here your list of whats wrong with my game?

16. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Uhhh, it's a horribly derivative (and not in a good way) bird-based cave flyer-esque avoidance game. I'm having a hard time coming up with anything other than that sentence to describe it. I'm not sure why you've decided to become so outspoken on these forums, you'd think with your torrid past of shilling and being banned you'd be a little less... Well, the way you've been.

17. yemi

yemi Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Iam willing to be cool and play nice with everyone. Iam following the rules now and trying to stay out of trouble but Iam not a punching bag either. So because I disagree with you I get a threat of being banned again , thats basically what your saying.
    So with all these years of journalism , thats the best you can come up with. What you basically said is you cant find nothing wrong , thats why your having a hard time finding something to write. Thatys why Iam so upset right now , cause as hard as I try being friendly in the forums , I know there are favorites. I know our games will never be covered cause we arent your favorite people , no matter how hard we try to be great members to the forum. No matter how much we try to contribute , its just not enough. Thats why Iam so upset.

18. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

If you make a good game we will cover it. There's nothing more sinister at play than that here, regardless of how much you want to disagree with me and read between the lines of what I'm saying.

19. yemi

yemi Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    #19 yemi, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
    Thats exactly why I asked whats wrong with the game , so we know what to improve. The answer you gave doesnt help , we need specific things to work on.
    Original version
    Was great but maybe too hard. 10 unlockable achivements and 1 unlockable charactor.
    1st. Update the next week
    Added firecoin power-up to even the difficulty and made changes to add to graphical appeal.
    2nd.Update has been uploaded for 6 days now. I added even more Achivements to unlock to add more lenght to the game.
    3rd update ....we are working 24/7 probaly why Iam cranky we are adding 3-4 more unlockable charactors to the game.

What else we need to do to get covered here? Thats what I need from you , thats what Iam asking you . We only got one review which helped sales but we need a review in this website. What else do you want to see in the game?

20. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

I think the point you're missing is that good game development doesn't amount to satisfying a checklist of features that it needs to have. The game is just fundamentally bad. You need to start over.