App Mini-Reviews Extraordinaire

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by JCho133, Jan 21, 2014.

1. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #1 JCho133, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
    I decided to start this because I enjoy recommending apps in the "What to get?" thread. I plan to post my favorite games of the week and why every Tuesday, and also if there's a game I discover that I think is really special.

I'm not making this a place for flame wars over games, so don't try haha. I'm basically just going to be listing my opinion in hopes that someone will see it and look into the game. I'm going to do it for 3 weeks and see how it goes. I'll also probably do MY must get games of the month every month (imagine that haha) and perhaps do lists of genre favorites.

I just thought this would be a cool way to contribute to the community for those that value the opinion of an avid stealth, TBS, dual stick, strategy, sci-fi, survival-horror, shmup, and super-hard-minimalistic game loving gamer who appreciates a bit of tactical flavor in his games (I play fantasy games too) over the results of a weekly poll. So if you don't see your favorite game, don't fret. This is all me.

I'll be making my first post tomorrow.

Disclaimer: I am human and this is my opinion.

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Sounds good. It should be informative especially now that i am only spending $3-$5 a week from my usual $30 a week budget last 2013. :D

EDIT: Quick quiz: how many games do you buy each week? Do you buy most major releases?

3. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    #3 JCho133, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
    Actually only 1-3 as of recent (November was a different story). This week I spent only $2; Bardbarian and Lost Yeti. I don't have Shadow Blade or Castle Doombad yet. (I know, what is wrong with me?) Of course I've downloaded quite a few free gems as well. I really like to look into games and learn about them, and I don't have unlimited itunes money like you may :D So I tend to go for the great games that deserve more attention than to shoot money at every major release. Of course I usually get those too because they're great games as well heheh.

I'd also like to use this as a way to bring up some older games that I discover for the first time (I only became a really passionate iOS gamer early 2013, when H&C got me to join the forums, although I've been in iOS gaming since the iPod 2nd gen. Until summer 2012 I had always been an AppSpy user, but my discovery of how great TA is changed that).

Of course I'll be including prices as well (;

4. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Do you welcome discussion and secondary opinions? Your tastes are practically a mirror image of the kind of games I enjoy. Speaking of which, I probably should update the Quick Fun Super Hard list

Looking forward to your impressions

5. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    #5 JCho133, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
    Speaking of which, I should probably add that genre to my gamer description list! Haha.

And yes, of course! I'd like to keeping it calm and pleasant though. I like it the way it is now, with you guys coming in and asking some nice questions and maybe giving a little input on to how I could improve the thread. So no one coming in and telling me about how wrong my app choices are etc. etc.

And also no app recommendations. Haha I can assure you guys that if you know about it, then I know about it, and I'd prefer this not to become a kind of publicity spot. Just me, the games, and some quality discussion.

I'd like to also allow secondary opinions on apps, but then I feel like this thread would become like any other. I need to think about it how it could work

6. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Great idea. Only suggestion is if you can copy and paste some of your feedback directly in the respective games' thread as well so people who don't click on this thread can still get game feedback. Otherwise..look forward to your responses. :)

7. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Just to get you warmed up, what was your opinion on Lost Yeti?

8. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Good luck with the endeavour!
    And I am a bit envious, I have to admit. Wanted to do the same for a long while, but family and work don't even leave me with enough time to play through the few games I get (still need to complete Baldur's Gate I ...)

9. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    Do you accept IAP bombs here? :D Are you willing to pay $20 for an iOS game (FF6, Xcom, etc)? Do you tend to get far or even finish games without a leaderboard or achievements?

I'm guessing you'll be talking about Bardbarian tomorrow so I'll wait till then. :)

10. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Tops, I'll still definitely be posting on the forum threads, so don't worry (; I'd rather not copy and paste though.

Cygnet, you're just gonna have to wait a little longer, don't worry :)

Nullzone, :p

Echoen, I'll buy/download a game if a want it, simple as that :)

Now no more until later, I'd like to start the next page with my first post. I'm going to start it simple, and if you guys think it should be more in depth then let me know

11. zdn1042

zdn1042 Well-Known Member

May 10, 2013
    This is nice! Looking forward to your first review!

12. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    -__-

Ahh oh well. You had good intentions. Thanks! I should have it up soon. I haven't had much time today

13. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Good idea and I generally enjoy your posts, but why create this thread when you can post your thoughts over on the "User Reviews" section?

14. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    #14 JCho133, Jan 21, 2014
    Mostly because I'm not going to be reviewing, mostly just listing and giving a very brief description, what I like most about them, and what fans of other games would enjoy them. It's more suggestion/advice than reviews. Think of it as a micro-pseudo-blog so to speak. Plus more people will see it here.

Thank you for the input and kind words!

15. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    #15 JCho133, Jan 21, 2014
    Alright guys, here I go! (V=volume W=week)

JCho's App Opinions V1: W1 Jan 16-21

Total week cost: $2 (the cost will always be US)

Bardbarian
    Price: $.99 US $1.29 NZ €.89 £.69

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bardbarian/id766414929?mt=8

The game I have enjoyed the most by far has been the one and only Bardbarian. It's a perfect mix of action, strategy, and bullet hell. I like to call it the love child of Battleheart, Snake, and Colossatron. I also get some Shellrazer vibes from it as well. Perhaps it's the art style? I haven't really put my finger on it.

But really, if you like Battleheart or anything MikaMobile, I think you'll love this. There's upgrades out the wazoo as well as tons of unique party members. It also has a great sense of humor, and some great music if Metal is your thing.

For lovers of: Dual stick shooters, Battleheart, Kingdom Rush, horizontal shmups, upgrades, and games in general

Tap & Blast
    Price: Free

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tap-blast/id778814847?mt=8

Tap & Blast really surprised me this week. It takes the well known formula of barrel blasting that not many have been able to do really well, and makes it super awesome. My initial impressions were very very "Meh," but once you get past the tutorial missions is when things start to pop. The game starts to play around with multiple planes of play, so you're getting shot to the background, midground, and foreground which makes a really neat sensation.

That is all well accompanied by some nice cartoony character models as well as some very pretty environments. As you progress, things get pretty tricky, and you unlock special abilities for your character to use (on a cooldown. They're not boost you buy at the start of the stage).

There's several different types of barrels and obstacles, including a purple barrel where you drag your finger to aim in any direction (this one helps you find secrets in levels a lot).

For lovers of: Land-a-Panda, Donkey Kong Country, puzzles that require timing and precision, new takes on old ideas, fireworks, Run Roo Run, Galaxy Run

Lost Yeti
    Price : $.99 US $1.29 NZ €.89 £.69

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lost-yeti/id774933630?mt=8

Ok, Lost Yeti is waaaaay too cute. Just look at it's pixel art! It's a little yeti, collecting Popsicles! :)

I had seen Lost Yeti in the upcoming thread, and thought it was just another block pushing puzzler, but I was wrong. This is one of the most unique puzzle games I've played on iOS. You're tasked with moving columns and rows of ice blocks to create a path to for the yeti to get his Popsicles (like stars in any other game) and to the finish line/square. You'll also need to keep him away from spikes and enemies, because your little yeti is always moving. Difficulty raps up fast (those darn pigs!), and levels begin to require a lot of timing and thinking. It's definitely one of my favorite puzzlers. Of course it's amazing art and Yoshi's Island style level selection just makes it that much better.

For lovers of: Cute SNES graphics, Cut the Rope, Where's my Water, puzzles that require thinking and fast action.

Well that wraps up this week! Let me know if you ended up getting any of these due to reading this, I'd be interested to hear!

Also, any feedback is welcome! Let me know if the descriptions seem too much like reviews etc.

P.S., please don't quote the whole post when responding!

16. Why no love for Shadowblade? It's one of the best releases this week along with Bardbarian.

17. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Nice impressions. Definitely agree on Tap & Blast, seems like I really need to get Bardbarian and Yeti

One note: yeah I'm a stickler, but with tax, 0.99 games come out to $1.06, 1.99 to 2.14, 2.99 to 3.22, etc. Just for those who might be budgeting and/or need to make sure they have enough $$ left to get games.

18. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Thanks for that note, I almost solely buy my apps with iTunes vouchers so I don't have to deal with that. I'll remember that for next time

19. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    #19 JCho133, Jan 21, 2014
    I haven't bought it haha

Idea! I should put which games I have bought that week at the bottom. This should end confusion such as this

20. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I like the JCho format, especially the "For lovers of..." bit. Well done.
    I understand that if you move your address to Delaware there is no sales tax for online purchases. Just for those who might be budgeting and/or need to make sure they have enough $$ left to get games.