Universal Oceanhorn (by FDG Entertainment)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Nov 13, 2013.

1. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Not where I'd say you speak from.

2. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Far too early in the thread for this. We haven't even reached the price complaints yet. :p

3. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Said this in the upcoming thread, but was worried about this being way more exploration and less combat / puzzles (not a huge fan of exploration, tons of NPCs -- yeah I know I'm shallow). But I'll probably need to sneak out and get an iTunes card and get this regardless.

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Those didnt happen in one day.

5. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Ahahaha... With these premiums releasing today i wonder how many kids are going to cry about the price points?

6. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Ha, good point, I'll be nice. So anyone lucky enough to have had a blast on this yet?

7. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    This is easily likely to be the most expensive week in iOS gaming this year for many people (and rightly so), and hopefully the response will mark a turning point, with gamers willingly paying these higher asking prices and developers realising they don't have to hamstring themselves with $1 pricetags on everything. Pretty much every single one of the games coming out this week deserves that positive response.

8. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Great looking release. Great devs. No IAPs. Potential classic in potentially the best week of releases this year and there are spotfires breaking out already.
    Come on guys. This is a good news story

9. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Yes - nearly at the 10 hours mark. 34% completion, still plenty to do, utterly fantastic game.

10. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    This one has the potential for GOTY. Well vs XCOM but still the potential is there

11. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    !!!!
    Siiiiick!

12. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

That's amazing! It means that there's a lot of exploring to do and I love that. What a month for iOS Gamers :)

13. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Hey Echo, how is that soundtrack treating your lobes?

14. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Yeah, there's loads to explore and find. My time can be cut by about 3-4 hours for a normal person though - 2 hours because I explore every area fully before moving on, and 1-2 because I missed a character to talk to and ran around every area again...

It's really good. The music is always on point and creates an appropriate atmosphere. Boss fight music is amazing.

15. Edmilan

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    What?!! You're already 10hours into the game??!! *envy*
    Wish i was like 30mins in or something

16. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    How is the combat/puzzle/exploration ratio? Don't get me wrong I'm sure it's fantastic, but a lot of the gameplay video I've seen is mostly just wondering around.

17. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Personally, I wouldnt count ports unless the original came out the same year. But good call on having them both as part of your GotY list. XCom is the best tactics game i've played on the ipad, and Oceanhorn seems to have all the qualities a GotY game needs to be one.

18. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    But if the port never happened, maybe we would never played that game, so I think its fair... actually, some of my GotYs are ports: Bit.Trip Run!, Limbo, Boson X, ...

19. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    It picks up from the early game, but you won't be overwhelmed by enemies. The most I've seen is 5 cannon fodder enemies, or 3 strong enemies at a time. The combat is simple, but you're going to have to read the enemy attack patterns (unless they're the basic kind) and react appropriately. You wouldn't want to be careless in combat, or you will die. I certainly don't want to walk up to 3
    skeletal
    soldiers, no matter what.

I've never played Zelda so I can't compare, but there's a fairly even mix between puzzles and fighting. Enemies respawn some time after being killed though, so that inflates the combat part a little. I'd say the ratio is 40 puzzles - 60 exploration - 40 combat (yes, the figure is intentional).

20. Edmilan

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    Ok my 5 just rebooted. Maybe from constantly tapping on the kiwi link to the appstore every minute lol.