iPhone Hexcells (by Matthew Brown)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, May 3, 2016.

1. TouchArcade Bot

TouchArcade Bot New Member

Feb 14, 2012

Hexcells

Matthew Brown
    Hexcells is an ambient logic puzzle game. Mark or clear all the orange hexes to solve the puzzle. The number in a black…
    $0.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Hexcells is an ambient logic puzzle game. Mark or clear all the orange hexes to solve the puzzle. The number in a black hex tells you how many adjacent hexes need to be marked. ◉ 30 brain teasing puzzles ◉ Interactive ambient soundtrack ◉ No guessing required Requires an iPad 2 or later to play.
    Information
    Seller:Matthew Brown
    Genre:Puzzle
    Release:May 02, 2016
    Updated:May 10, 2016
    Version:1.1
    Size:50.1 MB
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating: (2)
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

2. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Excuse ME, hello hello!! The Hexcells series is my favourite series of puzzle games. They're brilliant, clever, look great. Get them all now. I for one am happy to rebuy these games on iPad!

3. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    #3 ColeDaddy, May 4, 2016
    Last edited: May 4, 2016
    Absolutely love this game. I may buy the entire trilogy. In the first installment there are no timers. Does anyone know if this is true for the other two?

4. TheGreatEscaper

Oct 10, 2014
    #4 TheGreatEscaper, May 4, 2016
    Last edited: May 4, 2016
    No timers for the other two either, just beautiful puzzles. If memory serves me correct it displays the time you took to solve a level but nothing in the game depends on time. It's all about whether you make any mistakes or not.
    Edit: just rechecked, there's no reference to time at all. Just a pure puzzling experience!

5. ColeDaddy

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Got it. Thanks!

6. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    I wonder why they couldn't have made this one game with IAP for additional sections

7. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    I think it's just a matter of that show it was released on PC. First came Hexcells, then Plus and then Infinite. These are truly excellent puzzles and they are a joy to solve.

8. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #8 y2kmp3, May 5, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016
    Update: Rats! Misguided beat me to the question... Did not see it before I hit the post button.

Why three distinct releases? What are the differences between them? Can't they be combined into one?

9. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Really enjoying this. Bought all 3. Would rather have them be add on's but oh well I'll enjoy them nonetheless.

10. TheGreatEscaper

Oct 10, 2014
    Hexcells was released first on PC with a cool concept, but the puzzles weren't very difficult.
    Hexcells plus came out with super tricky puzzles.
    And then Hexcells Infinite came out with (technically) 100000000 puzzles.
    I suppose if you wanted they could all be grouped into one. I don't mind having different apps though and if it's the price that concerns you the series is well worth the total asking price. They're not huge apps either.

11. ColeDaddy

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    After playing a few levels I bought the entire trilogy. Casual, but challenging...and I don't even like minesweeper-genre games. Great stuff!

12. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Dont understand at all, nil, zero. Looks nice though it it has meaning. Maybe i need hallucinogens?

13. TheGreatEscaper

Oct 10, 2014
    Have you bought the game and do not understand the rules, or can you just not understand the rules from the screenshots?
    It's essentially a puzzle oriented Minesweeper crossed with Picross, with a few twists as well. There's never any guessing required. It can get very difficult.

14. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    It was just a convenience thing. No worries on cost or 3 small apps. The difficulty picks up after a while. A few times I made a mistake & then re-looked at the board & said of course. Once the reference numbers start to disappear you have to deduce from a few different hints it can be a head scratcher. I'm loving it. Oh & I hated minesweeper yet I'm really enjoying this series.

15. Breinstein

Breinstein Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I hope somebody can explain to me why, in the added screenshot I have to mark the left cell blue and not the one on the right ( looking at the 3 within brackets)? The brackets mean the cells have to be marked adjacent, but in my opinion in either option they are adjacent ? I am not a native English speaker so maybe I am not quite understanding the meaning of adjacent ? I thought it meant next to each other .

Attached Files:

16. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    You need to experience how each clue is unfolded to you. You know how minesweeper has a bunch of guesses? This doesn't. You can always figure out your next move by the information given to you. The puzzles get more complex, and you are given different types of clues as the game goes on.

But the reason why this game is so good, is it sometimes feels like there are no clues, but you have to truly analyze and think about what you are seeing. You are never presented wrong information, because if you mess up in clearing a tile you immediately know. It does not let you play a wrong move (however attempting to play a wrong move dings you, and you get less points).

Like most incredible puzzle games, it's about the experience of solving the puzzle. You cannot understand that from a screenshot (without understanding the rules).

17. indalico

indalico Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    ohio
    Only 1 cell to mark blue remains. All remaining yellow cells NOT covered by the {3} cell must turn black. The top cell in {3} has to be black as it's not possible to be connected by the other blues.

18. Breinstein

Breinstein Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Thanks:). How stupid of me to overlook this obvious solution .

19. TrencH

TrencH Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Mar 29, 2013
    I would be all over this if this came out for the iPhone. I love minesweeper and picross games.

20. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    #20 mzinn, May 6, 2016
    Last edited: May 6, 2016
    Well said. Perfect example of that is the screenshot above posted by Breinstein & explained by indalico.
    You can start to think the one to the upper right could be blue or the one to the lower left. But you have to think further & touch the top one knowing that it can't be blue because of the consecutive clue. Eliminating the top spot will give you the clue it can't be the one on the upper right. Sneaky game!