SOLAR WALK 3D -universal app. Free today (10/11/12)

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by snapb202, Oct 11, 2012.

1. snapb202

snapb202 Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2012
    #1 snapb202, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
    Not a game...
    But a gorgeous representation of our solar system and universe in 3D with lot's of facts and figures
    You can also look into the core of planets.
    Very interesting app for those interested in astronomy, children and people who like to read & know stuff

By the makers of Star Walk & Geo Walk - I never expected this to go free. It's a real treat :)

App info is currently processing and/or the app is not yet fully available for sale on the US App Store.

2. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

I've had this for a while now, and not only did I personally enjoy it, but it's been a fantastic visual aid and learning tool for my kids.

3. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Does anyone know if the content is Solarwalk is included in Starwalk? I ask because Starwalk is 5 bucks compared to the 1 dollar asking price for Solarwalk.

4. snapb202

snapb202 Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2012
    #4 snapb202, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
    No - different content - but they compliment each other - solar walk focuses on out solar system and planets- you can zoom in & out, see their orbits around the sun,their moons moons, their relative size & position etc. Star walk, on the other hand focuses on constellations - if you focus in a direction it tells you the constellation you are pointing at, the stars in it etc. pretty cool

5. tanithfirst

tanithfirst Member

Dec 6, 2010
    IT tech monkey
    Milton Keynes
    Not showing as free on the UK app store... I have Star Walk anyway and I love it, but my son is getting into astronomy now and this would be a great app to have to encourage him

6. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

They're completely different:
    - Star Walk is more of a stargazing app, with the perspective fixed on at your current position, helping you to identify stars/constellations/planets/etc.
    - Solar Walk lets you fly through the solar system in 3D and check out models of the planets and moons, along with their orbit and other misc. info.

Both are fantastic apps.

Another easy way to compare them, is to two popular open source programs on desktop computers:. Star Walk is like Stellarium, and Solar Walk is like Celestia.

7. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Well, the lite version, Solar Walk Saturn, is gorgeous, so this is a no brainer. Also the only app I know of that can be viewed in 3d on a 3d TV (which I have); not just anaglyph 3d (1950's tech).

BUT, I'm still waiting for it to show up as free. Appshopper says it is, but the itunes store doesn't.

8. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    I've wanted this for a while. Thanks for posting :)

Probably be just a minute or two. Shows free for me.

9. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Whoa, that was weird. I looked a minute ago, not free, read your post, and then looked again... free!;):D

DBC

10. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Downloading now!
    I'm a big astronomy fan and so is my family!
    Thanks!:)

11. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Superb app if you have any interest in astronomy whatsoever. I left a gushing review for Saturn Walk, I can't wait to try this.

...and if you have a 54" Samsung 3d Flatscreen, it looks glorious in 3d!

12. SpikeGuy

SpikeGuy Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    This looks so cool. Thanks for the heads up!

13. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Thanks to the OP! Awesome stuff!

14. AlienSEX

AlienSEX Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2011
    best app ever!!!!