looking for internships

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by justking14, Jan 28, 2015.

1. justking14

justking14 Member

Sep 8, 2014
    #1 justking14, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
    I'm a third year college student getting a degree in computer science and game's. I was hoping to make iOS games for a living after I graduated, but after two years and about 15 apps I haven't even come close to making a profit. I've read through dozens of tutorials on programming with xcode and making pixel art and my games are definitely improving, but I feel that I could use some experience working with a real company. Can anyone offer advice on finding an internship?
    A full list of my apps can be found at my Facebook page: Justking Games

2. yoethan

yoethan Active Member

Jan 29, 2015
    I'm on the same boat as you. I'm a 4th year student who is about to graduate. I was planning on making iOS games for a living too but I don't even have a completed game yet. Props to you for releasing 15!

3. racr

racr Active Member

Jan 4, 2014
    Self-employed.
    Europe
    Hey Justking14,
    I don't know you, but you should score at least 7 out of 10 in Objective-C, C or C++, Xcode. I hope you use some reliable framework, allowing you to reuse code for standard objects like sprites and text labels, without having to build those things yourself. Cocos 2D will usually do the job.

As for the internships, do you guys have some experience in networking. I mean spotting developer's circles and creating some professional relationships that ends in finding whatever you a looking for - new friends, job, internship...

4. justking14

justking14 Member

Sep 8, 2014
    #4 justking14, Jan 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
    I have a good deal of experience in xcode, swift, and spritekit, and I'm regularly improving my knowledge using courses on udemy and online tutorials. I do not have very much (or really any) experience in networking. I've also never worked with frameworks.

5. Modjular

Modjular Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    hm, you have a pretty solid skill-set it looks like. Good coders with actual game experience are hard to come by, so I feel like you're selling yourself short just looking around here.

Have you looked on Gamusatra?

It's a site for game devs and studios to help each other, and more importantly, for studios to find prospective employees, and for prospective people like yourself to find work. If you do make an account over there, I would stress the fact that you have already made games, because that's the one aspect that poeple look for the most, and that people usually lack.

6. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    For an internship you really need a physical location.

I know we take interns often by just them calling up and asking (there is then an interview to determine if people are happy to take them in addition to their current work).

My advice is look at who is local, call them up and be prepared to send a portfolio/resume.

7. Touchmint

Touchmint Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    Working for compaines is overrated! Do it on your own for true creative freedom. Then again I have no development schooling so even if I did want to work for a company Id have no chance.

8. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    It is a valuable experience. Depending on your age it can help give you direction as well. In general we get high school or early uni students. Once they get older they come and work for us!

9. Touchmint

Touchmint Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    Sorry I meant it a little sarcastically. I'm sure it's a very very legit experience. I would love to have done something like that.