First day in the app store how much downloads is a good start?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Obg1, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Obg1

Obg1 Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Developer
    Hi All,
    My game is now over a day in the App Store
    and the download count for the first day is about 70.
    The price is 99c.
    Is that a good start for the first day, or from here it will only go down?
    Thanks

2. aTunaSashimi

aTunaSashimi New Member

Oct 29, 2011
    Is this for Noogra Nuts? I saw your other post about how you had 180,000 downloads in the Android market. In my experience, things will usually peak right at the start unless something is done to otherwise bring it back into attention(marketing, etc.). Its hard to say whether its a good start or not, that all depends on your expectations. Given that you have quite a few downloads on the Android market, I would think that over time you would ultimately generate a lot in the iOS market too.

Best of luck to you.

3. Obg1

Obg1 Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Developer
    Thanks for the quick reply,
    Yes it is for Noogra Nuts game, in Android it is free with inapp purchase,
    So it is expected that in Android I'll have more downloads.
    If the peak is at the start, is that mean I'll have just a few downloads per day?
    Is getting featured or being reviewed by a big blog the only way to do well in the App Store?

4. DodgerBlue016

DodgerBlue016 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    I create awesome paper airplanes that I will sell
    Here
    #4 DodgerBlue016, Feb 26, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
    If you released after New and Noteworthy was announced (which I think you did) and get into the N&N for next week, your sales should peak next week, when you have the most exposure. Generally you peak right when you come out (generally the first couple days, especially if you get N&N), and then also after major milestones, like a sale or big update....

Also have you tried putting a news article type thing that pops up right at launch in the Android version? Since you had a lot of downloads there, cross-advertising might help you a little bit...

[Note I'm not a dev, but I am an experienced consumer, and this is generally what I've seen most of the time]

5. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    Depending on when your game went live, you likely only had a partial day of sales recorded. So chances are you'll see better sales on the second day.

From there it depends on how much momentum you have, as you'll either continue to climb if you have good word of mouth and promotions or fall off if you fail to capture the attention of consumers.

The first week is the most important, so make sure you are doing as much promotion as you possibly can right now.

6. Obg1

Obg1 Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Developer
    Thanks for the good advices I'll keep promoting and use the Android users for cross promotion.
    Maybe they have some iPhone friends ;)

7. tipatat

tipatat Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Game Maker
    SF, CA
    here are my numbers:

70 for the first day seems pretty good with no mentions/reviews/ads spend. my numbers usually peak on the 2nd day as someone noted the first day is usually truncated. How was your 2nd day? It may also depends on the category of you game.

I released my 3rd game NomNomFace at $.99 and only got 3 sales the first day, and 11 the 2nd day, 7 the 3rd day. I did try and contact blogs/review sites and got no response.

I also just released a free version, and it's got 1000 downloads in the first 3 days but that translated to only 3 more daily downloads of the paid version. (over the usual 1-2 sales a day it settled down to)

Here's a link to the free version of NomNomFace in the Puzzle Family Game
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nomnomface-free/id504398586?mt=8

best of luck to you
    Tipatat
    www.gameface.me

8. steyrboy

steyrboy Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Senior Technical Artist
    Coral Springs, FL
    Our peak was the first week, and then after reviews/blogs.

Also, the new and noteworthy section has a lot of apps that are not new at all... Every time I check there are apps that have been around for at least six months there.

9. TheGreatWhiteApe

TheGreatWhiteApe Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Games Designer, animator, writer
    Melbourne, Australia
    Warm Up

Typically our apps get a small download the first day 50-200 then peak on the second or third days once the app is released globally. First days stats might not include all of the US yet because the app gets released at different times throughout the day around the world, eg., 10am everywhere.

Hope this helps.

10. Obg1

Obg1 Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Developer
    Well a week later, the game downloads are much lower from the 3 first launch days. It seems like it settles on ~10 downloads per day.

11. steyrboy

steyrboy Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Senior Technical Artist
    Coral Springs, FL
    Exactly how ours went without having more press coverage. Even then its just temporary spikes. I think to continue with great sales you need to climb the charts or really shell out some cash for advertising.