Dj Player 44.99->Free

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by Greyskull, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Don't know if this is any good; not really familiar woth DJ apps, and the file size is tiny. Still, it's been out since 2010, and the lowest price it's ever been is 14.99...or17.99, I forgot. Supports midi input and midi mapping. There's also a free companion app by the same company, just search the company name.
    App info is currently processing and/or the app is not yet fully available for sale on the US App Store.

2. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Thanks for the post, but has anyone else who's grabbed this had a problem with the app loading your music library? Right now, I've got around 900 songs on my iPod, and the app only read 12 of them... =o/

I even kept it open while I was sleeping to see if it just needed time to 'load' tracks, but when I got up, I still only had 12 songs available from my library. =o/

3. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    #3 Greyskull, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
    Not to be simplistic, but have you checked if there is anything...different about those 12 songs? More complete metadata? Located in a different folder? In (or not in) a playlist? Bitrate? Just throwing out some stuff to see if anything might stick.

4. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Very sure. I rip all my files from cd in the same way, with the same program, with the same tagging, at the same bitrate, and have no playlists. =o/

Guess I could also add that I only have full albums on my iPod, and that the 12 songs seem to be pulled at random from my files...

5. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    From $45 to free? Did they really think they'd get sales with that kind of price tag?

6. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Considering it was released in 2009, and this is the first time it's dropped under $15, along with the amount of reviews for it in the AppStore... I'm guessing they're doing just fine. The crazy amount of updates, and pure professional and multiuse features they have that make it one of the best virtual dj programs I've seen yet (aside from my library issues)...

I wouldn't have felt ripped off in the slightest if I bought this. Especially if I still had my old tables...

7. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #7 JBRUU, Nov 30, 2012
    Still, if one has that kind of money to burn wouldn't a good DJ program for PC be a better option? (Not criticizing the fact that you wouldn't feel ripped off) Guess I'm just surprised that anyone would pay nearly $50 for a phone app, much less that that price was/is financially viable on the race-to-the-bottom AppStore.

8. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Guess it depends on what you need it for and what your setup is. I know plenty of DJs who have purchased iPads because of programs available and being fed up with their laptops, as well as DJs who ditched their iPads for laptops... All comes down to preference, but having a windows based laptop limits you for sure... I know I haven't seen anything that comes close to this for windows for any sort of reasonable price... While my DJ friends with Mac laptops seem to be rolling in high performance programs, most of which are a fraction of the price of similar programs on the PC...

=o/

Sure we could debate it for some time... Hell, I could debate it with myself for hours... =oP

9. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Hey...it's been out since 2010, with a few sales. Usually to 32.99 or so, once to 17.99. This isn't a "release at 999$, drop it to days later to free" thing.

10. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    #10 Greyskull, Nov 30, 2012
    Let's say a DJ is having a house party. Might be easier to bring along the ipod/ipad than the laptop. A crate of vinyl in your pants! (yeah, I know Traktor metadata isn't for the non-digital turntable DJ, but...ya get the point)

11. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    50 for a phone app? Have you checked some of the upper echelon multitrack recording apps?

Or for that matter, have you never bought Smurfberries ;)

12. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

Lots of prof features, read the manual. Have a look in the device's main settings and the DJ Player section. No automatic beat matching like algoriddim's djay. BUT latency-free (almost) with WiFi Audio. And the MIDI features of course.

Didn't figure out yet how to output stereo music (only mono here on iPad 3+4).

13. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    I know there is also a (currently free) companion app that goes with this; haven't looked at the features yet though.

Perhaps you need to use an iRig Midi; a camera connection kit for the ipad (allows midi out via usb); or something similar?

14. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Btw, the musicians of toucharcade was a good idea, but no one seems to talk there :/

15. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    meh... give it a while. It's not like we can all work on music 24/7 and create songs that are worth sharing every day of the week. =oP

16. repapermunky

repapermunky Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    This looks awesome. Thank you for sharing.

17. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Lol thankfully not.

18. repapermunky

repapermunky Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    I have the same problem. It seems that the songs it recognizes are the ones I purchased directly from iTunes, versus my songs from cd's. Other than the ones from iTunes, there are only 3 that it recognizes. I hope it gets fixed.

19. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    I love the idea!

I joined as soon as I saw the group, but tragically, Grad School is taking up all my free time... and my eating time... and my sleeping time... and my... well, OK, I do still shave and brush my teeth, but it's touch-and-go some days...:rolleyes:;):D

DBC

20. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    Hey! Thanks for posting this. I'm not a DJ, but I do enjoy these DJ apps.

I signed up for musicians of TA. It's just hard to write when I'm already on other forums for discussing iOS and Music.