Similar game to one I'm working on released - any advice?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by kickflip720, Oct 4, 2011.

1. kickflip720

kickflip720 Active Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Hi guys

I'm after an advice and opinions.

I've been working on a game for the past few months (on and off as I have a full time job). I'm getting close to beta testing, but I just saw today that a similar game (flipship) has been released. I was absolutely gutted. Looks like we have gone down quite a similar path as quite a few key features of my game are also in the other game.

Similar features:
    -Space shooter
    -Tilt controls (like tilt to live)
    -Neon line graphics
    -Color flip mechanic

Gameplay and presentation is different, but there are quite a few similarities and I'm worried that my game will look like a copy of this other game.

Do I ditch what I've done and look for a new idea, make changes to what I've done or carry on and hope people don't draw too many comparisons?

Any comments welcome ...

Cheers
    kickflip

2. Manta Research

Manta Research Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Good luck. We had the same situation once where we were already months into development, and even though our product had MUCH higher production values, the core gameplay was the same and since the other guys came out first, they got the acclaim whereas we got labelled as "ripoff" and sold very poorly.

There's always the possibility that the competitor does not get much notice and if yours is a better product it may still do very well.

I got the same punch-in-the-gut today with a game that is using a very similar art style to our next game. It's a completely different game, but the art style is almost exactly the same and this one has been called out on its art style. Sigh. What can you do.. 500k apps, there's inevitably going to be comparisons... just release it and hopefully it does well on its own merits.

3. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    what have thoose titles in common..

angry birds, tiny wings, minecraft, call of booty 24.. ?

they are not unique.. they use game mechanics used before.. it does not matter..

if your product is better than your competition use that as leverage.. if its not.. well study your competition and try to make it better than their offering..

we have this situations many times before and now you got a chance to see how other would create a game with a similar feature set..

also in all honesty.. i would not break down a game into a lousy list of features.. and that its.. i assume there is more to a game that its feature list because if you only compare by a few characteristics i assume tons of games would be the same..

4. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    wouldn't really worry about it, if anything look to this as a positive. See what works about the existing/already released game, and what people like vs. what they don't like, don't understand, use this to tweak your own experience a bit. As for being called a ripoff, remember there are soooooo many flash-in-the-pan apps being released these days and memories are extremely short; that is, if something even registered in the collective subconsciousness to begin with! Just go make the best game you can, try to zig a bit where the other guy has zagged, get your app out, and support it the best you can while moving on with your life.

It does suck and I have experienced it as well, such a surreal day when I saw a game with "my unique mechanic" also using the same damned name got announced (and immediately) just as we were into heavy production. You know what happened, their game faded into the ether and ours (with a different name, of course) is still selling & relevant, a couple of years later :) Buck up!

5. kickflip720

Sep 5, 2010
    Thanks for the replies guys.

@Manta Research - I think you hit the nail on the head there.

@mr.Ugly - I was hoping you would comment. Man you have an opinion on everything.

@headcaseGames - Thanks for the support.

6. AlienSpace

AlienSpace Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Independent developer
    That's what I would do too. You really cant stop making your game just because someone comes out with something similar before you, so you might as well use the opportunity to learn what works and what doesnt and apply the knowledge. This will help you refine your game and avoid possible mistakes.

7. ddunham

ddunham Active Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Software Developer
    Tacoma, WA
    First, if you're only working on it part-time, will anyone remember this other game by the time yours is out?

Second, what makes your game fun? Do more of that. If it's those things, that's fine. You're not making the same game. What's wrong with being like Flipship, only better? You can learn from their mistakes.

There's a reason people lump games into genres, most of them are pretty similar to at least one other game. It didn't sound like you were going down a unique path, so you should still follow it.

8. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

Well now you know what the bar is... exceed it. What are their shortcomings? How are their graphics? If you can't put out something BETTER... then change gears. If you can, you're good.

9. ChunkoutGames

ChunkoutGames Active Member

Put it out there and try and do better than the opposition!

10. kickflip720

Sep 5, 2010
    Thanks guys for the positive replies. Just the pep talk I needed. :)