Is this website always meant for just iPhone gaming?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by arta, Apr 2, 2009.

1. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    What happens when the Palm Pre comes around? Is there a spinoff website of Toucharcade for that? Or will a separate section be made?

2. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    1) Wrong Forum
    2) Look at the tagline: Keeping you in touch with the latest in iPhone GAMING

3. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Yeah I know that, but "Toucharcade" always seemed to be about the iPhone only because the iPhone was the only real touchscreen gaming device that was out at the time. I was just making sure.

4. Phil_Synowiec

Phil_Synowiec Well-Known Member

You dont bring the words "Palm Pre" in here haha

5. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    You never know...

They may start a sister site called "PalmArcade...giving you palm even if you don't want it"

6. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Perhaps someone with an interest in Palm Pre gaming and apps will create a website for Palm Pre fans. :rolleyes:

Can't imagine Touch Arcade will devote a "separate section" to it. This forum has never catered to other handheld gaming devices or phones, and I'm hoping it never will...:)

7. darwiniandude

darwiniandude Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    The pre will not be a gaming platform, period. The SDK isn't native, apps are essentially web pages.

Plus, as a developer would you make a game for the iPhone audience who clearly buy games? Or the Pre with no user base?

Remember if you make an iPhone game it will run on iPod touch devices too.

Read about the Pre at www.roughlydrafted.com

8. monk666

monk666 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Palm Pre as gaming device. Ha, ha, HAHAHAHA.

Palm might be bankrupt before the devices even ship.

9. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Sigh, people had all types of technical reason why games wouldn't run well on the iPhone until people start doing them on jailbroken 1.1.4 phones. I remember arguing back in those days on the iphonehacks.com forums.

If Palm wants to allow super intensive games on the device to compete, they can, and they aren't as stubborn as Apple was last year, surely.

10. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    I agree with this. Who's to say that Palm or even Blackberry with their own stores won't get gamers to develop for those platforms. Palm could rejuvenate its store with the Pre, and Blackberry certainly has the capital to put into own store and do whatever they want. I think it would be naive to think that no one else besides Apple can do this. Marketshare may mean something now for Apple, but unless there is constant innovation, others will definitely be waiting in the wings.

11. darwiniandude

darwiniandude Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Yes but the blackberries and WinMo and Nokias all have different hardware. Pre will be unique.

The devs will continue to write for the biggest platform look at PC gaming vs Mac or Linux.

iDevices have a ~30 million install base as a head start over the other guys.

A teenager who can't buy a phone on contract can save for an iPod touch, knowing the games are much cheaper than DS titles. Plus they have Youtube and Facebook when on WiFi.

Sure there will be other devices, but it's going to be tough for them to compete, ESPECIALLY for gaming.

12. AchillesReborn

AchillesReborn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008

App store games took off because of the huge consumer base, and the ability to universially distribute games via the known, trusted and hugely popular itunes.
    The palm will have a far smaller consumer base, and will have nothing close to the `itunes monster` to help distribute the programs.

That`s not to say it wont get good games, or even great games. But don`t expect the scope or low price that exists for app store games.

13. pharmx

pharmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Blackberry still has substantial capital after the patent infringement case? I think they settled and had to pay $612 million dollars....only reason they weren't shut down was because too many government personnel were using blackberry devices, lol.

The Pre (and the other devices as well) might very well become decent gaming platforms, but to enjoy success like Apple has, they will need to come up with a system better than iTunes.

14. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    Hi guys,

The site's domain was chosen to be relatively generic. Not iPhone, not iPod, etc...

That said, the focus of the site is on iPhone and iPod Touch gaming and we have no plans to expand to other platforms. The value of the site is the focus on a single platform. I never saw the appeal of multi-platform gaming sites.

arn

15. Benegesserit

Benegesserit Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Palm trying to compete with iPhone for software development is like Mac trying to compete with Windows. Eventually a handful of stuff gets ported over, but if you want access to the latest software, with the highest likelyhood of being able to use it, you're getting an iphone.

16. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    #16 Big Albie, Apr 2, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
    I'm not disagreeing with anything that you're saying because right now that all makes sense. My point is more along the lines that change can happen faster than you expect. Having been out here in Silicon Valley for as long as I have, it doesn't take much for a company to stumble. While I believe Apple has the marketshare and the best app network system there is, other companies will be gunning for them. With Steve Jobs potentially leaving soon which is the rumor out here, who knows what direction the company will take. All you need to do is look through history books to see examples of leading companies who held the marketshare and revenue fall out of favor for a variety of reasons (e.g. change in leadership/vision, complacency, changing market preferences). It's easy to say that Apple is doing the right things now because they are, but it's just as easy to say that tomorrow will bring uncertainties that they may or may not be prepared for.

17. organerito

organerito Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    I agree.

People just decide that what was cool before, it is not anymore and they look for something else. There are very few companies that last 20 years on top.

18. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    I've noticed that even Chillingo and some of our beloved Iphone devs are also getting into the android app market.

19. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    I just learned about the Pre :eek: iWant !!!

When's the Pre coming out? I don't care what I have to pay, I have May and July holidays and the extra pay will cover it.

20. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    The application stores just keep popping up...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/04/02/BUO716QUFM.DTL

It's due out in June. The phone is looking pretty good in initial reviews.