When is Blizzard going to throw it's hat in the iPad ring?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by scubi, Aug 1, 2011.

1. scubi

scubi Active Member

Oct 12, 2008
    I'm an avid player of Order and Chaos which is, in reality, just a pale WoW clone.

But I think it proves a valuable point that it can be done and money can be made off it. Sure Gameloft is all about squeezing as much money as they can from the in game store, but Blizzard has the fan base to really make it worth their while.

Come on Blizzard! Get off your butts and get us into Azeroth!

The iPad certainly has the power to do it as evidenced by the Order and Chaos game. (Yes, I know it's not as beautiful as WoW but it's a PC game and the iPad game world doesn't have to be the same as WoW. But Blizz knows it's stuff and I would gladly pay 2 or 3 dollars a month to have a game from the WoW universe.)

Let's get some others opinions as maybe Blizzard will start listening if we can make a big enough noise.

2. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #2 Vovin, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011

Simply put: this won't happen. Blizzard's already printing more than enough bucks with WoW, they're also too busy with their upcomming AAA titles (like Diablo 3).
    Blizzard isn't interesed in Apple and the Cheapskate Store. There's no real money in for them, at least not what they usually charge.

Even if they would port it, you would pay way more than 2-3 dollars. You'll have to pay the same amount of subscription fee as all the other WoW gamers, somewhat around 13 - 15 bucks a month, depending on how much you pay in advance. They would piss of all their other subscribers when the iPad owners only have to pay 20% from the money that they have to pay.

3. scubi

scubi Active Member

Oct 12, 2008
    I can see where you are coming from but I wasn't thinking WoW itself. I was thinking more along the lines of something based on the WarCraft Universe and similar to WoW. Not connected like an iPad client of Wow.

I also agree that the Itunes 30% profit sharing ("taking") would keep them at bay.

Ah well. I can dream.

4. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    yeah. not going to happen, at least not in the current way that things are run. If you've noticed, Activision has close to zero interest in the mobile market as it is (they are kind of the opposite of EA's attitude, really). For that matter I am a little curious why EA hasn't stepped up with some crazy hi-falutin' mobile MMO (well, maybe it's not too hard to understand why). Anyway, I am sure someone will step up with an honest effort (other than GL) at some point, but it's probably a ways off. I don't really think a fully-developed MMO can have the same success on mobile (in such an environment) as they would currently enjoy on the PC, for a number of reasons.