Okay so I got the hardware...

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by NYCrooner, May 19, 2009.

1. NYCrooner

NYCrooner Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Okay I know this has been discussed here before but my OCD requests it's own audience. I've been a gamer since the 80's and a Mac fan just as long. I've never considered programming but the iPhone has really sparked something in me. Along with my brother we have years of html and photoshop experience but never software programming. So this is what I have...

1 - iphone 3G
    1 - ipod Touch
    1 - intel iMac (fresh out the box)
    2 - eager wannabe programmers (lol)

I'm fully aware that this is going to be a marathon and not a sprint, we're both cool with that. We're willing to invest money and time in learning what ever languages are needed to create apps. So this is what I need from you guys...

1. What are the various langauges we should learn and what do they all do?
    2. What software should I have on the iMac to get the ball rolling?
    3. Any recommendations on books or videos would be great?
    4. Anything I'm leaving out?

Thanks guys. Hopefully it'll be something that I can pursue and make something out of nothing.

2. kenlem

kenlem Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2009
    Mobile Orchard has a great podcast about where to start.

First start with the C Language then Object C and then the iPhone SDK.

Check Amazon for some pretty good books on beginning iPhone development.

3. nooobynick

nooobynick Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Stanford has an iphone development class and they are recording all of their classes and putting it in itunes U

4. ciretose

ciretose Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    Oregon
    You can also check out the Stanford CS193P "iPhone Application Programming" class web page (http://www.stanford.edu/class/cs193p/cgi-bin/index.php) - complete with slides, podcast (available through iTunesU), sample code, etc. If you've never done any software programming it might be a bit overwhelming, but there plenty of links throughout the podcasts to "where to find more info" on the topics discussed.

5. are you looking to make games or just apps in general?

6. ferret

ferret Member

May 19, 2009
    AP/PM
    Vancouver!
    Assuming you are making a game, I would also suggest researching and finding a great game engine. I am only familiar with Unity but there are some other good ones out there, with pros and cons of each.

Knowing what engine works for you and getting the most out of your use of it is invaluable to saving time down the road.

7. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    I personally go against using an engine, because sooner or later you will have to make your own engine, so may as well start with it. This site should help you a lot.

8. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

Nope, Unity does pretty much everything, so I won't need to write an engine ever. However I'd strongly recommend learning the basics first, and then using an engine later. Otherwise you are trying to learn two complex things at once, which most people don't do very well with.

--Eric

9. NYCrooner

NYCrooner Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Thanks for all the great info guys. I'm definitely interested in making games. Puzzle and strategy games are my main interest. I'll be checkin out all the tips asap.

10. indyraider4

indyraider4 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Well you need a good idea. I have an idea for an easy app to make, but can't find a dev to make something that small. After searching the app store with finals coming up, I have been eager to look for a flash card app, but none are any good. :(

Want I want to see in it, swipe left/right to flip card, swipe up or down of move to the next card/go back. double Tap to bring up menu. Options: different color cards, different color text, drawing (for diagrams) and ability to add photos from camera or album. Also saving them online to a public server would be awesome, (so I could save my cards online and let my friend use them too). If only, if only... :rolleyes:

11. NYCrooner

NYCrooner Member

Apr 16, 2009
    So help me understand one thing, do I need to learn C before I can learn Object C or can I go right into Object C?

12. JustinFic

JustinFic Well-Known Member

May 20, 2009
    Game Designer / Programmer
    Las Vegas, NV
    You can jump right in. Objective-C is based very strongly on C, so knowing C gives you a big headstart, but not knowing it won't screw you over. You can learn Obj-C and, in the process, you'll pick up C naturally as you go.

13. NYCrooner

NYCrooner Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Cool. Gonna pick up a couple of Objective-C books tonight. Any recommendations? Thanks to everyone for your help.

14. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

Stephen Kochan's "Programming In Objective-C" seems to be the most popular choice for people new to Objective-C. It is geared towards Mac-development rather than iPhone but as the two share a lot of libraries and developer-tools it should still be a good place to start.

I started with Kochan's book and then went on to "Beginning iPhone Development" from Apress.

15. NYCrooner

NYCrooner Member

Apr 16, 2009
    So I'm starting with the recommended Stephen Kochan's "Programming In Objective-C" book and I can tell you it's really an easy read. I'm glad I picked it up. So far all the early excercises have worked out fine but the program below doesn't seem to add up right and I can figure out why. I typed exactly what he has in the book and it's adding up wrong. Anyone spot the mistake??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. 99c_gamer

99c_gamer Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    In the nslog print line the second " needs to be before the variable names

This is one of those places where knowing c would help

17. NYCrooner

NYCrooner Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Thanks 99c. I eventually figured it out. To be honest it was completely just a lack of inexperience. The book does a great job of explaining this but I just need to train my eyes to pick up these things better.

18. 99c_gamer

99c_gamer Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    I wouldnt worry about that you'll be spotting syntax errors in no time.

iphone development is pretty easy it took me about 3 days to learn enough objective C to be up and running.
    The hardest part for me isn't the language. It's knowing about memory management, data structures, and 3D transforms and the like.