What is an 'arcade' game?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by willzeng, Jan 30, 2012.

1. I am really confused about the genre of 'arcade' game. Should it be an action game and be played in short segments? Could there be a definition?

I'm going to choose my app's genre. It is said 'action' is highly competitive. How about 'arcade' or 'adventure'?

2. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Well, what is your game like? Can't decide unless i know what it's about :p

3. It's a match-3 game (actually match-2) takes the Fruit Ninja style. Unless this time you are not a Ninja but a sorcerer. There are unlockable spells and upgrades, and the adventure is broken down to multiple short-term levels.

4. gkikola

gkikola Member

Dec 31, 2011
    I don't think there's an absolute, objective list of criteria to qualify something as an arcade game, but here's how I see it. An arcade game is a game in the same style as the early coin-operated games found in video arcades. Such games are characterized by being easy to learn, featuring fast-paced or frantic gameplay, having minimal story, being playable in short spans of time, having no definite end, having a steadily increasing difficulty level, and offering some kind of scoring mechanism. Not every arcade game will meet each criterion, but these are the things that come to my mind.

5. silentcorp

silentcorp Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Arcade games come from just that, arcades. They are traditionally action based, usually score-based and offer quick play sessions (to get you to pay another quarter.) Now that term can be used for just about any "smaller" or "score based" game that comes out. Match 3 is much closer to a "puzzle" game even with action-based elements added to the mix!

Just my 2cents!