Know anybody who purchased $99.99 IAP packages?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Papa Deuce, Feb 18, 2014.

1. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Yeah. I buy a few every time I log in to Injustice. Game's impossible now without either grinding or gaining ludicrous amounts of in-game currency.

Actually just spent $300 on it before opening this topic. In a few days when I go back to it, I will continue to buy more. It's a great game, really.

2. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    I was about to do it on the Simpsons tapped out but I deleted the game after giving in. I spend at least 50 bucks more than that weekly on games though.

i have at least 25 unopened games from consoles ranging from every recent console besides the xbox one and I don't see me stopping anytime soon because its something I really like, I collect them and I enjoy it. What I mean is that just because you don't buy 99 iaps doesn't mean you don't waste your money and just because you buy it doesn't mean you're crazy

I guess my point is if the game pleases you, it isn't crazy to spend whatever you want to spend on it. My mom for example plays 2 of those FarmVille style games and she has poured in at least 500 bucks on them, she has the money and those are the only games she plays, so why not? Im spending more than that on ios just binge-buying every game I see on these forums.

P.S. i also hate these iap money-sinks, just think everyone should have the option to get them if they choose to.

3. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    Seems kind of crazy to me, as I can buy great console and PC games for $60 or less..... But then again, mobile gaming is my 3rd favorite way to game..... And even at that, my PSP is preferred over iOS gaming.

But, to each their own.

4. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    As great a game as it might be (haven't played it myself), is it really worth $300+? Is any game, much less a mobile game, worth that much?

Instances like this where one can spend an indefinite amount of money on a title to just keep playing are where F2P crosses the line. The game departs from making a profit to what I consider taking advantage of people (admittedly consenting individuals) who just want to enjoy the game. No matter how much you spend on games like Injustice, you never really "own" the game so to speak, there's always another paywall around the corner. And another opportunity (requirement) to cough up more dough or enjoy an absurd grind.

For the vast majority of players, it's easily ignored and not much thought or money is given to it. For the minority such as myself, it's irritating and worrisome.

None of this was was directed at you personally, just using your experiences as a bouncing board of sorts to launch into my own diatribe.

5. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Well its worth it to him and if he can afford it why not.

I would call me a classic gamer with a nice sized collection of games.

But still i have nothing against iap if done well. I played simspons and hay day before coc and only coc actually got me to invest money into it. I tried alot others f2p games and delete them fast because most of them are just designed badly.

I beat plants vs zombies 2 and never spend a dime nor had the urge todo so.
    Maybe their iap design is too loose. The same with real racing 3. Never had a problem with their timers and never wanted to buy iap currency.

If one of thoose base builder games hools you you usualy play them alot longer than a common console or pc game.

Last game id beat was gta5 and i dont see me really playing the story over again a second time.. Maybe after they released the addons.. but ill be back in clash pretty much every day.

Thoose f2p games on mobile platforms are like fast food.. They quench your hunger and you on your way.. Whereas console and pc gaming is alot more time consuming.. You sit down , turn everything on, maybe need to update the silly ps3 for the third time in a row.. Wait for ages that the game is loading and then you are set and play..

Its more like having a 3 course dinner in a fine restaurant.. It takes time and you usualy dont do it everyday. A sandwich is easily done and digested and at the end of the year you probably spend more money on cheap salami than on fine steak and some guys might look at you in a weird way what kind of junk you are spending your money on..

But as long as you enjoy what you are doing, why not. There needs to be something about any game that drives the user to play it.. And if a game is really bad no matter the way it monetized.. It wont be played. It will not earn money.

Of course i guess the majority of this forum wont understand, since the moan about anything thats more expensive than a dollar.

6. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I'm totally joking around. I almost pulled the trigger on a $1.99 IAP in the game (I think... whatever the lowest IAP is) like half a year ago, but now that I have all the console version unlocks, there's no need.

Don't worry. I'm not a crazy cash cow!

mr.Ugly: I heard from my friend that EA recently updated Plants vs. Zombies 2 on Android and it's much more restrictive regarding IAPs. When you beat the game, did you beat it a while back? Or recently?

7. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany

Last summer when it was released.. beat it and that was it for me.. I saw the redo of the campaign they did, strictly linear but havent played that version.

Maybe ill give it a try when they release the new sci fi world.

Well some people pay another guys monthly income on a single bottle of champagne that ends next day in the toilet..

I see the hole f2p monetization very relaxed.. Since no one is forcing you to pay and if the paywall the bring up is too high no one is surely forcing you to keep playing or payiing.

Its not like there are no other games to be played

8. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Pretty much the only iap that I'm comfortable with are coin doublers and unlockables and occasionally tipping the dev.

9. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Probably Shaq bought it.

10. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    #30 coolpepper43, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
    Lol! He probably has even bought games where the developer raises the price of the game to $99 for a day. Have any of you guys seen some of the insane price changes for some games. Sometimes when I lookup random games price history through appshopper, the devs change the price almost everyday. Within a week the price would change from $5 to $99 and then free. What are these devs thinking? Is it some sort of pricing strategy or are they just trying to scam people?

11. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Maybe they want to be picked up for a price drop by the sites.

12. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I always buy the $100 RP pack in League of Legends when I run out of RP, does that count?

13. BoredSilly

BoredSilly Member

Mar 16, 2014
    Had to give it up yrs ago
    Austin
    Learned the hard way

When first started playing Another Case Solved I went crazy stupid buying candies thinking I needed them. After seeing my credit card statement decided to use my brain vs cc. Most games have ways to play you can learn how to get around the IAPs, if they don't then delete them. I also play walking dead and have never paid for anything and have played 4 seasons so far.
    One thing I noticed on the IAP game, that buying the 1.99 amount several times actually gave you more then the 99.99 or any other price in between would.
    You can tell them what I told my girls and now my grand kids, if you want it go get a job :) otherwise forget it.

14. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    I just read that Angry Birds Epic offers a $125 IAP option.......just the thought of that repulses me. I can play console games that are awesome for 100+ hours that are 60 bucks.

15. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    It's not the first game to offer that IAP, just saying. One of King.com's apps (farm heroes saga, I think) offer a $125 "micro transaction" :)

16. BoredSilly

BoredSilly Member

Mar 16, 2014
    Austin
    I did pay the 25 for the extra pack 400 days then played through all and no charges. And the 400 days was worth the price. I didn't even realize there were IAPs in the game. but it was pc and not apple version of game. not sure if that makes a difference.

17. BoredSilly

BoredSilly Member

Mar 16, 2014
    Austin
    too much for candies

When solving cases it eats up candies and every now and then throws you one like that would make up for the tons you used and paid small fortune for. They really get me when searching a building and having to check every object in a room. Time runs out several times and no way to go faster. I don't mind IAPs but they really need to make some changes on how much needed to play and how few you can work and watch commercials for free ones. This game can get so expensive that they will lose a lot of players. Doesn't make good business sense since so many like the game.