Le Havre (The Harbor) -Universal- By Codito ($4.99-->99c) - Aug 21-

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by goiMot, Aug 21, 2012.

1. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Le Havre and Tigris & Euphrates are deep Euro titles, the former using worker placement and resource management while the latter uses very complex scoring and tile laying, area control. So they are complex, but the tutorials do a great job of explaining the game mechanics. In addition, Le Havre features a hint button that gives you a hint on what could be the best next action.

2. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    #22 tops2, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
    I think I may be in the same boat as others in interest for the other games. But I'm more of a casual gamer and scared by the complexity. I'm willing to try to learn Le Havre. But the others all also seem so complex..I watched a few clips of how to videos on Boardgamegeek for T&E, Ra and Medici and hey seem too complex for my "casual games" mind...

And totally off topic..thought I read Lost Cities is coming out this week from the guys that did Carcasonne. I tried it online and found that game pretty accessible. The rules is really easy for me to pick up. I'm sure there's a lot of strategies that I'm missing, but I had fun.

3. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Hah! IMHO Le Havre is one of the most complex of the bunch! I'd rate Ra as the least complex of this group. My casual game group plays that in board game form all the time and love it.

4. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    #24 tops2, Aug 21, 2012
    Haha.. I meant to say I'm scared by complex games..but am willing to put the effort to learn select ones. ;-)

Its more that I'm lazy and not interested in learning how to play..but the ones that seems to be highly regarded, then I'll put in the effort.

Thanks for the recommendation about Ra. I'll look into it again. I think the thing that seems complex to me is the combination of various tiles you need to buy.

5. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Played the Le Havre tutorial last night, and it isn't as complicated as I thought it would be. the rules don't seem all that bad, the complexity really comes in from the different buildings. You definitely need to have a long-term strategy though, and plan ahead (if you are going to need bricks, you'll have to get clay first, etc) to make the buildings you want, meet food upkeep, etc.

The tutorial is very good, btw, maybe the best I've seen on ios, and plays through one entire game. So many tutorials dont tell you why you are making a particular move, but they do a good job of that here. The one thing that bugged me about it is that I missed a number of text bits trying to tap on a card and advancing the text instead.

6. xiel

xiel Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2012

When you play your first game outside tutorial keep pressing the hint button for the whole game, it will give you a better understanding of the game.

Codito should really implement a lobby system. One of my games has been going on for 3 weeks now :(

7. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    This was the only one that I didnt have in my collection from this devs, it really slipped under my radar. I havent played it yet but If its anywhere near Tigris & Euprhates quality level I can say that this is one of the better deals out there.

P.S. Everyone should at least check T & E and Ra from the sale, both excellent games.

8. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    #28 crunc, Aug 21, 2012
    I haven't played Le Havre or Tigres yet, but I'm currently in a 4 player async game of Puerto Rico and isn't much fun at all. I don't get the appeal of taking a turn, then waiting a day to take another turn, perhaps which consists of making one tiny decision. If I could still do 20 games simultaneously without burning out I guess I'd still appreciate it more than I do now. :)

In any case I picked up Le Havre and Tigres while on sale. At the very least they'll let me find out if I want to buy the real game, and for offline vs. CPU.

9. xiel

xiel Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2012
    #29 xiel, Aug 22, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
    Yeah they should make it like how playdek does it. Implement lobby and time limit, which can be tweaked by the user. That is the perfect async for me.

10. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Codito's online mp definitely needs chess timers like Playdek's apps. 3+ player games can take forever and eventually just become too boring to warrant interest.

11. Janni

Janni Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2012
    got myself le havre & tigris.

both are great value (something for long winter nights)... thanks for the sale, much appreciated!

12. Gunlock

Gunlock Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2010
    $0.99 again.

13. mrbiggles

mrbiggles Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Like retired
    USA
  14. Gunlock

Dec 13, 2010
    $0.99 again (price should switch in a couple of hours).

15. BrushMyNoseOff

BrushMyNoseOff Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Coach / Photographer
    NYC
    Heard it was a bit clunky on the iphone, but now that I have an ipad - I have to give it a go!

16. Gunlock

Dec 13, 2010
    This is one of the best iOS board games, so for a buck it is really a steal. And yes, it plays much better on an iPad. The game is quite complex and the UI is more user friendly on a bigger screen (but I'm not saying the interface is a game breaking problem on an iPhone, just less convenient).

17. BrushMyNoseOff

Jan 3, 2009
    Coach / Photographer
    NYC
    Thanks, Gunlock - looking forward to spending some time with it and learning the ropes as I've also read it's quite challenging.

18. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Just bought this. Installed it too.

I'll probably never play it though...I never get around to learning the rules, so I usually end up wating my tome on stupid casual games...:sigh:

19. BrushMyNoseOff

Jan 3, 2009
    Coach / Photographer
    NYC
    Completed the tutorial, and to be perfectly honest - I am overwhelmed! The amount of information and options available to you is insane. Any tips on how to better understand the game and not just press things for the sake of pressing them? I knew there is a lot to learn here, but thought maybe you seasoned players have some good starting pointers. Cheers!

20. drloony

drloony Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2012
    There's not much of a starting point. This game does have a pretty steep learning curve. The nice thing is the hint system and tutorial in the game can get you started. But you really can't use it once you start developing your own strategies. That's the beautiful thing about this game is there are so many choices & different paths to victory. I'd say just try your own strategy and you might get pleasantly surprised at how well you can do.
    Anyway, I hope you can stick with it and fall in love with it like many of us have.