Universal San Juan by Ravensburger [Universal]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Mythbuster, Aug 1, 2012.

1. cprloe

cprloe Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Katy, Texas USA
    Tim, some of us have turned this question into a drinking game. :)

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Okay, get your glasses ready...IS IT RANDOM (I know it is by the very nature of the game, but figure I should throw it out there for any long time listeners)?

3. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    You mean the card piles? Yes, every game is different ...

4. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Oh yeah, I just tossed that in for the drinking game of, "Lord Gek's Wacky Catch Phrases". I have to assume there is 0 stat tracking. Much like my random obsession, I have no idea WHY this is so important to me but it really is.

5. Mythbuster

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Well, I can understand why you like Stats tracking ... because I like it, too ... Cacassone like it is the best ... :D

Nevertheless, the cards are everytime different ... the AI is good, the UI is nearly perfect ... so ... just take it ... :D

6. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Game Impressions

It does have some decent stat tracking so I finally grabbed it! :)

Does it have an ELO system as well (somebody said as much at BGG but it must be online only.

While there aren't any real "vs. various AI difficulties" like stats, having it track total games played, total wins in each player variation (2, 3, 4), and total VPs won allows me to derive whatever missing stats I was looking for to some degree. If I'd played 60 games and have only 2 wins recorded in 2 player and 0 in all other player configurations...well I then would have PROOF of how badly I suck!

Will the game always refer to me as student or is that some sort of achievement/title mechanism at play?

7. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Only in the tutorial. When you play a local game you'll be able to give yourself a proper title (though you won't gets to pick an avatar)

8. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Ahh, just like an episode of STtNG, I had assumed I already left the holodeck when that game started!

9. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #49 LordGek, Aug 5, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
    Game Impressions

I'm really loving the game so far! I think it adds a lot more randomness to what, to some degree, is still a streamlined game of Puerto Rico.

In Puerto Rico everything but the type of production buildings will come up is fairly set. To me this often felt like this lead to some ideal strategies, kind of like how one would make some ultimate character build in Diablo 2.

Here, in San Juan, it really feels like you have to be much more adaptive to what cards you're being offered at the moment. I also love how the game encourages the player to come up with some synergistic card combos (if planning to be a master producer you'll want the Well and Aquaduct).

Here is a great overview of both San Juan and its one expansion:
    http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/786738/enders-pictorial-overview-why-i-love-san-juan-an

10. dhgamer

dhgamer Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    New York
  11. Mythbuster

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    I hope they will bring the expansion, too! :)

12. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    From what I've read of the game so far it seems like it has almost zero player interaction outside of role selection, and even that is barely player interaction. Async shoul have been easy to implement for this. I'll pick this game up the minute it gets async.

13. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Is this developed by Sage Games, or did Ravensburger do it themselves?

14. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I don't think this was Sage games, no ELO system as all of their others have featured.

Ravensburger have a few developers under their belt so not sure who was behind it.

15. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Ah, thanks. I may splurge for this. I wish it had local bluetooth multiplayer, but maybe that will come later?

16. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I know I really like it. A streamlined take on Puerto Rico with a bit more randomness (you can't really stick to an optimized build path as you might in Puerto Rico since you never know which blueprints you'll have to choose from) but still buckets of depth.

17. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I played one game and it's fun. I like it. However I really wish you could zoom in on the cards more on an iPhone or otherwise they made the text larger. Sooo tiny. I'll stick to playing this on the iPad at least until I know all the cards well.

For the most part this has a nice interface. The only thing I didn't like was how to get info on roles you have to double tap the small roll icons - you can't double tap the big ones, though perhaps that would be problematic anyway. Not sure.

18. cprloe

cprloe Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Katy, Texas USA

Crunc is exactly right about this. This has to be near the top of their list (behind async) in terms of future updates. Unless you have the cards memorized (and even then they are hard to see), it makes the game very difficult to play on the Iphone.

19. Update V 1.1 is live!

Yesterday we've relesed a update (V 1.1) with the following new features/bugfixes:

New Features as requested by our fans:

- Adjustable animation speed via option/pause menue in game
    - App remembers the setup of previous game session as default
    - Single tap displays detailed, zoomed view of cards including roles instead of double tap
    - Game Center avatar used for players' images

Bugfixes:

- Result screen displayed insantly with no animations after the table had been revisited
    - Continuing a session does not result in a loss of role cards anymore
    - Black market goods displayed correctly in case there is only a single hand card left
    - Timing of tutorial popups fixed

Have fun!