Universal Time of Heroes - (by smuttlewerk) - Universal App

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Jan 18, 2012.

1. smuttlegiaco

smuttlegiaco Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    thank you for your feedback l98a1!

I had an ST myself. Loved playing games like "supremacy" and some german "thirty years war" strat game (don't remember the name) and many other's of course!

If you only kill the heroes, then you're right. The "kill the hero" strategy is best employed in critical moments. Whenever you see the fight is going to be tough later on and you need some time to heal for example.

In the upcoming update, we lowered the difficulty on "pack" even more, but only slightly changed the settings for "throng". on hordes it's still the same.

great! give us a detailled battle report! :)

it's not like you've described.
    but there is no general XP pool. every hero has it's own XP bar, so you should have an eye on which heroes unit does the killing stroke. (for only for a kill you get XP)

if you buy the game, let me know how it works out for you.

2. Quantus

Quantus Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Is there a skirmish mode?

3. Marcus70

Marcus70 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Sorry if this has been asked already, but what is the "Oldschool Mode"?

4. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    @quantus: no, sry, only campaign mode.

@Marcus70: np, you're the first one to ask. :) we had problems with the iPad 1 performance and while searching for a solution we reduced the scale factor by 1/2. that doesn't solve the problem, by the way. we found a better solution later on.

the look of the game changed into pixel style gfx and we thought it looked quite cool (if you like this sort of graphics). so, instead of removing it, we decided to let it stand.

5. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    patch 1.1 was uploaded on friday. I hope we see it live tomorrow. here's what we've added/fixed:

- added Gamecenter (leaderboards and achievments)
    - new score system
    - added button to scroll through unmoved units
    - added wait button for units
    - added more and new tutorial screens
    - made the tutorial always accessible during the game (question mark button)
    - added simulate button for level up (instead of shaking)
    - added a more obvious level up message
    - added player/enemy turn message
    - added fast AI movement (only available with fast unit movement)
    - added warning message if you haven't added the max amount of units
    - added AA for iPhone4S
    - made difficulty "pack" easier
    - two IAP errors fixed
    - better, clearer effect for selected units

6. Marcus70

Marcus70 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    1.1 now live in the US.

7. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    yes, thanks marcus70 :), and ON SALE (0,99$) for three days, too!

I'm currently working on the next campaign: 6 of the maps are already modelled (one more to go), the storyline will be ready by monday and we hope that we'll be able to release the whole thing in the beginning of march!

8. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    new patch (1.2) uploaded:

- fixed a bug that caused a crash with a non-western "Region Format" (e.g. Thailand, Russia and other's)
    - fixed a bug: Fast AI Movement is now saved after being activated
    - added "Info" button in the Options menu
    - altered two tutorial screens

only minor stuff here, except the bug that caused a crash for many of our asian and russian customers. that was a biggie!

9. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    ok, time is our enemy, as always, but we're still working on the second campaign for ToH ( + porting ToH Android).

I finished the maps and we will playtest them for the next two weeks. some of the maps are really huge. :D 7 maps in total, as before.

you get two new heroes, Oskar, the iron golem and Runtula, a rather big elf lady. some of you may remember Oskar from "Companions", where he stood half-melted in the lava chambers of the volcano Eaneum.

with a little luck the second campaign should be available around March 26th.

for altland!:cool:

10. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Noticed that this is on sale again for $.99 and thought about biting, but some of the remarks on here are scaring me off a bit.

I like TBS games, but haven't played a whole lot of them and wouldn't necessarily say I'm that good at them.

Have the updates helped make this game easier to understand as well as remove some of that difficulty barrier? Or would you say this is still a game best left for TBS affectionados?

11. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    #151 oooooomonkey, Mar 25, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
    I've just bought this and played the first battle and a half. And I'd say it's totally accessible to TBS vets and noobs alike. If your new theres options to only control the heros and let the AI control the rest of your army (you can set the AI to defensive, aggressive, or normal).
    It looks like this is the game I've been looking for since getting my iOS device.
    I've been looking for a game that's like gamesworkshop's warhammer and this doesn't disappoint.

So far I'm loving the whole thing, the graphics and animations are very nice, the turn based moving and battle animations are brilliant.

The only thing that I can see that really needs to be added is a skirmish mode.

Other than that I'd reccomend it to anyone who likes TBS games as this looks like one of the best iOS has to offer.

12. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    While I agree with you on all other points, Time of Heroes is not a real-stime strategy game (RTS), buta turn-based strategy game (TBS) :)

13. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Thanks edited. That's what I meant lol just not what my fingers wrote. :)

14. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    thanks guys!

I already wrote you an E-Mail oooooomonkey. I will talk with our graphics guy tomorrow, to make a few wallpapers and stuff. ;)

Also, we're still playtesting the second campaign. It should have been ready by now, but with the success of our casual game Nosferatu, things got really turbulent here at smuttlewerk HQ and a small team can only manage so much.

+ tell your friends who own Android smartphones that ToH is coming to these devices in the near future, too.

15. TouchNoodle

TouchNoodle Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Bought this last night and a few comments:

- Fun and frustrating all a once. i'll keep playing because story is fun. and I like the leveling bit. Good stuff.

- When I do lvl… I don't know the what each skill truly does... and what if I make a mistake. i.e. I saw if I choose bonus for range units. Great. I snagged that. Then the next time I could get enough skill points... I tried getting a 2nd. And I couldn't! I didn't know I could only choose one. So what do I do now? Start over? I wouldn't have chosen range units. my plan would have been to have each hero focus in it's own area.

- this concept is the same for expert vs type of baddie or terrain. 1 only? I'm guessing so. But which one? Who am I facing most of? I don't know. What if I choose wrong... like most games... undead early on... but I want the bonus later... versus demons? Do I guess? do I have to play it through once?

- my strategy would have my heros focus on commanding. bonus to multiple types of troops, terrains, and monsters. but I can't and I didn't know. now menos has a bonus to range...

- what about if I want multiple in an area each respective one costs more. i'd be fine paying 3 skill points for heavy troop.

- the other thing that took me a few rounds... I think range... I think they can attack from further away. I kept trying to figure out why my range units had to be next to the melee units. then I realized... but then why can I cast a flame spell from further away? I'd love to see range units act like range units. range of two and no response from melee. isn't that the power of them?

in summary, great strategy, but where I learned to love companions, I haven't gotten there yet. It's great on logic, but short on 'fun' right now. I think of it as a solid strategy game. well worth the price. :). well worth the price.

hope the above makes sense. I might not have found the undo skill yet... but i'm on the 4th map and just don't want to start over... :)

16. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    TouchNoodle, thank you for your thoughts!

have a look at the tutorial screens (the ? button). there we describe that from skills in blocks, only one may be chosen. but nevertheless, it may make sense to enable players to distribute their skill points anew. we talk about it.

also your other points concerning skills: all valid and I understand your frustration. you know, we designed the game like those back in the days, where you had to choose and whatever you did was cast in stone. as I said above, perhaps we can improve the whole skill system.

that's impossible to integrate now. if we ever do a new ToH, we'll make "real" ranged units, promised. (in our case here, we orientated us along the old Sega "Warsong" game)

try playing the game again later on a higher difficulty level. makes for another game imo. :)

thanks again!

17. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    hey folks!

update 1.3 will be uploaded tomorrow!

we finally managed to finish CHAPTER 2. :)

7 new maps included as IAP (2,99$) - hours of additional play time.
    2 new heroes - Runtula, the elven mistress and Oskar, the Iron Golem

this update completes the game. the story about the arrival of the northern people comes to an end!

to all those who waited so patiently, a big thank you! the mails telling us you love our game meant much to us!

18. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Nice. Ill have to check it out. Is that about £1.49/£1.99 in good ol'english money's :)

19. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    yep, that's 1.99 pounds :)

20. RazvanGNR

RazvanGNR Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    I`m gonna buy this tonight, but i have a rather silly question :p
    I read this thread and i can see the iap are optional, but the military history one contains gear or is about the history? i`m asking this because the story is like 60% of a game to me!
    Just a random question, gonna buy it either way when i get home