My Simple Frustrations w/UE3 Engine on iOS

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Booch138, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Okay, so I realize that I am probably in a huge minority here, as I look in the threads of games such as Infinity Blade, Infinity Blade II, Epoch., Batman: ACL, Dungeon Defenders, etc. to see if anyone else is having any kind of troubles that I have been having with the games.

Games that are, seemingly, graphically heavy such as Modern Combat 3, Dead Space, Order and Chaos, CoD:BOZ, etc. and even SHADOWGUN (Which had a rough buggy-ish start that they have fixed through patches) run just fine on my 64g 4th Gen iPod touch. I run the app, the app loads, I play the game, the game plays fairly smooth, I enjoy. No problems at all.

But when I run a game that uses UE3.... nothing ever goes right. Like, at all. I can barely ever play them, regardless if I use System Activity Monitor to kill apps, or reboot the entire freaking device. These games will load up, get to the initial opening screen (Often the UE3 logo) and then crash back to the springboard. Again, I will run the game again... does the same thing. I will refresh things, exit out of things by way of appswitching, or restart the device. And I will go back to the app, try and do it all over again. Again, with no avail, my UE3 apps don't work initially. For me to get them to work so that I can actually play them? No special trick. I just keep running the app over and over until it decides to work. Sometimes it takes 4 tries, and sometimes it takes (quite literally) 10 times. This is entirely frustrating.

Recently, I thought that it might have something to do with my device, so I proceeded to just restore it to factory settings, and reinstall everything from back-up. Did it work, you ask? Nope! It's still the same troublesome "Keep running until it f*cking works" system I have going.

In the Infinity Blade II thread, EPIC suggested that it might have something to do with the fact that it may not run as great with the more apps you have, as when you run it it has to *insert technical speak that I don't know nearly enough about* it has to refresh your image cache of all the App Icons or some BS. I don't quite get it, but their suggestion was to reboot your device, and then you should run everything just fine. This still doesn't work for me. Ever.

So I guess, in addition to my endless rambling, I want to ask of the TA Community, do ANY of you have this kind of problem...? In the least bit? I seriously feel like a fish out of water here... I've read nothing on this problem, or anything else having anything like this. Please tell me there is someone out there in the world who is experiencing the same issues as me... lol

2. lumothesinner

lumothesinner Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2011
    UK
    on 4s - no nothing

my 3gs - hell yes.
    Infinity blade 1 ran alright for a while...then it got some updates and iphone 4 support etc and started taking longer to load and crashing at boot.
    Only thing i can recommend is making sure you have loads of free ram, thats the only way I ever got epoch, IB, Batman etc to work. My 3gs is jailbroken so i can use sbsettings to view ram free in status bar. If I had less than 115MB free, none of these would play. Which mean having to close every app from processes (again sbsettings) and then use the free memory button in sbsettings again and again until it had enough free.
    But the loading times were endless and the ingame crashes frequent, so when my contract ran out I had to upgrade to 4s to keep up with the games.

For your touch, i suggest trying the clear mem method available to jailbreakers, fairly sure that apple kill any appstore apps that have that feature, or make them remove it, or if you dont like jailbreak just reset before each game, sucks but thats the way it goes when games get designed for the newer hardware. sucks even more that apple havnt even offered a touch 5 yet

3. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    I am familiar with SBSettings, used it back in the day. But I don't really have much interest in the JB scene anymore. System Activity Monitor takes care of this. It shows available RAM, and what's being used, and when you first launch the app, in around 20 seconds, it automatically kills all currently running apps (Like what SBSettings does with the RAM Freeing stuff, but System Activity Monitor does it automatically) effectively freeing up space. I also restart my device frequently, just to play the games. As I mentioned prior to this post though, none of these methods work efficiently. I still have to keep running the app several times over until the game decides it's okay to run.

What bother's me, is that games like Modern Combat 3 and Dead Space, run completely fine. No problems what-so-ever. I think Dead Space has maybe crashed on me like twice, and that was a very long time ago. And I think those two games a little more detailed than that of like... Epoch, or Infinity Blade 1. Yet those all run like crap. I do remember a time when IB1 worked all the time, it was before iOS 5 though. I don't want to blame the firmware on this matter at all, but I am running out of scapegoats.

4. Marck527

Marck527 Active Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Wow never had a problem like this before, infinity blade 1 runs so smooth on my itouch 4g without any crashes at all same for Deadspace , real racing 2, modern combat 3 etc. try restoring your device because when I jail broke my iPod gta3 crashed a lot but I restored it and re-jailbreak and works fine now.

5. 12yam

12yam Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2010
    Toronto
    Lol funny you should say that. I haven't had any serious problems with UE3 games, but Black Ops Zombies runs terribly even adter reinstalling the game.

6. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #6 backtothis, Jan 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
    After updating to iOS 5.x.x on my 4th gen. iPod, I've definitely experienced more crashes with games using the Unreal Engine. Even the original Infinity Blade would give me trouble at times. Epoch and Infinity Blade II were unplayable before they were updated. No crash problems with them ever since though. Got pretty frequent crashes from Batman too, but it only took two hours to finish and delete either way. Dungeon Defenders also crashes every now and then. Deleting my active multitasking apps and restarting my iPod usually produces much better results in terms of performance though for these games. Gyro13 and Dream:scape didn't really give me any trouble. Haven't tried them since updating to 5.x.x though. Dark Meadow plays great. Same goes for Combat Arms, except that it's just an awful game for $4.99. Black Ops Zombies and Shadowgun actually crash extremely frequently for me by the way. No problems with any Gameloft/EA games.

7. Rivozzz

Rivozzz Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    On iPad 2 4.3.3... There is no problem at all.

8. tantrikninja

tantrikninja Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    It's Cause the Unreal Engine is like the hot-hot-salsa-sauce !!!

9. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    No problems at all with any game even with 5.x.x on the iPad 2. These problems are usually limited to 4th gen. iPods and lower gen. devices.

10. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Thanks for the replies guys. It's just weird how it's working for others, and not with me and vice versa. I can't for the life of me figure out what the hell is the main problem. And which killing multitasking apps and restarting the device usually lessens the amount of times in which I have to rerun the app, it's still pretty random in terms of the number of times I have to do it. *shrugs*

I guess I will just accept it as a technical anomaly and call it a day. lol

Oh and by the way, now that you mention it, Dark Meadow was the only UE3 game that didn't crash on me every start, however I did have to reboot the device before I played it each time. After that though, one tap and it runs like a champ.

11. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    I have problems with iOS 5.0.1 on IB2. And on MC3 and I used to have problems with Dead Space on Summer. I have iTouch 4G and on Summer it had low space so that probably caused the crashes on Dead Space, but MC3 worked fine before updating to iOS 5 and IB2, well always been a buggy piece of sh*t. Gyro13 worked fine though, that was before iOS 5 though. I think it's all cause of the new OS that has several bugs. For instance, my home button loads so slow on iOS 5.0.1 that I have to use Assistive Touch nowadays, and even Safari crashes nowadays.

12. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    the ipod touch has only 256mb of ram.. which makes it the biggest bottleneck here..

every ios update eats up a bit more ressources due to dozen of new features, alot of stuff running in the bg etc.

people still recall how ios4 crippled iphone 3g devices..

so the truth is that the newest os versions are optimized for the latest hardware, that are the A6 devices and since the touch did not get updated 2011 that device fell out of the loop , since an ram increase would have helped..

as for the crashes related to epics game its understandable that their game which relies heavily on memory consuming gfx will have problems with low end devices as the touch..

one of the explanations was that they did not tested on devices who where filled with other apps.. with is more or less natural since testing devices are usualy not used for daily stuff so they lack hundreds of installed app of which the app icons needs to be loaded and cached into memory to allow for swift page swipes..

so the more apps you have installed the more ram the os is needing to cache the icons.. so when an ue developer tests on an empty touch which prolly has only a handfull of apps installed they have more free ram avaiable than someone who has hundreds of apps installed.. makes sense right?

with 256mb the chances are alot higher ro run into memory issues and sometimes a few mb free or not can make a huge difference..

so maybe you could try to just have a small numbers of apps installed on your touch if you want to have less trouble from the hardware hungry ue games

cheers.

13. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    I have to agree with Mr. Ugly's post. I've definitely experienced the hoorors of only 256mb, from beta to actual releases.

I also want to say that ever since I switched to iOS 5.0.1, a ton of games crash frequently on my iPod; not just UE3 games. I'm assuming it's due to the high number of games I have on it, but that's pretty lame since most games don't support iCloud.

14. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Simply put, the iPod Touch has less memory then the iPhone. Problem solved. No great mystery. The iPod Touch is going to struggle to run graphically high-demanding games.

I've purchased most UE3 games available for the iOS, but I have yet to attempt to play one. I have a heavy back log of games on multiple platforms, granted, but still, kinda odd.

I suspect it's because I'm under the impression that all UE3 games are sorta gimmicky and none of them resemble what I would consider a full-fledged game. Whether that's true or not, I don't know. Some times, in life, perception becomes reality.

15. fulcizombie

fulcizombie Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Your impression is correct , there hasn't be a "true" console style game on ios using the UE3 . THE IB games are great experiences , IMO but i consider most of the other UE3 IOS games flawed (dark meadow) or complete trash (epoch , the various fps with no plot or actual stracture e.t.c) . It's mo coincidense that the big star that appeared in the summer of 2011 , afterlife ground zero , has still not been released or even progressed . I suspect that we won't see real UE3 games until the next generation of IOS devices .

Games like shadowgun , dead space, real racing 2 , even modern combat 3 now these are the games that show how hardcore gaming on ios must be done , IMO .

16. phattestfatty

phattestfatty Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    didn't bother to read a lot of these posts, but did you try a hard reset, instead of just a regular reboot? that may help.

I used to have almost everything crash, did one of those, and its much better. however, it's likely its just the ram, like previously stated. UE3 has problems on mine too sometimes

17. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #17 GoofyJmaster., Jan 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
    Take MC3 out and the you've got a winning list. :p

iOS proves that the best hardcore games are in TPS, platform, or strategy form. I no longer attach console thoughts to iOS gaming.

For me the hardcore shiners will be Nyrthos, World of Midgard, deep strategy games, and immersive platformers. Also any bullet hell and/or pure arcade games that come out.

Last year, my main ones were KoDP, TBT, SG, and TN. There were some others too!

18. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    You sir, are officially out of your mind. It's not my fault you can't understand such a winner as Modern Combat 3. Best multiplayer experience EVER on iOS. Damn, there goes my respect towards you, lol jokes, but still. False move bro.

19. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Thanks for all the replies guys.

I pretty much do understand the technical aspects of why the touch is the weakling in the later-end devices (lack of RAM vs iPhone 4 and such, iOS versions eating more RAM). I get that. But it's to the point where I just... well I expect it to at least run and get to the game menu or something. I am having trouble with even that. I would expect that the game would run poorly during gameplay, like during fights, action intensive cut-scenes, multiple enemy engagements, etc. I would expect stuttering in the graphics, sound getting cut or glitched, frame-rate drops. All that. But the truth is, when I eventually do get the games running and playing, they play just fine. Like, only in IB II, in a certain corridor, do I experience only a few seconds worth of frame-rate issues, or in Dungeon Defenders when there are several towers up, and several enemies on screen, do I experience a little lag in the frame-rate. Everything else, Epoch, Dark Meadow, Batman, etc. runs just fine, graphics-wise, frame-rate, sound, everything, once they actually get running. lol

I guess that is what makes me most confused is all. But as previously stated, I know little about the parts under the hood of the car I drive, to say the least. I don't understand these things as much as I would truly like to.

I totally get that. It makes total sense that devs using test devices would have a limited number of apps within them to test their software on. I guess to me (again, points at my lack of software/hardware knowledge) it just sounds silly that because I have so many apps, (and not even THAT many, just about 115, is that a lot? lol) that it uses enough RAM caching the icons to prevent, seemingly only UE3 games, from loading up properly. I mean I am not going to argue with it, again, it just sounds a little silly.

Seeing as you seem to know a little about this stuff, would a giant database of music have anything to do with these RAM devouring ghosts? I mean here is what my current device's memory looks like:

[​IMG]

This may sound like a stupid question, so forgive me, but does having a super filled HDD mean less free RAM??

20. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    The reason I'm not a fan of MC3 is mostly because the IAPs in MP. Therefore it will never earn my respect. Also, I'm not a huge fan on FPS on iOS. TPS is way better for the platform IMHO. I also have some minor gripes with the controls, but that's not too big a deal since I have this problem with a lot of games on iOS.

MC3 is far from the best shooter experience I've had on the platform, but it's my opinion.