Will some developers now make 'iTablet' exclusive games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by wonderva, Jan 27, 2010.

?

Will the iTablet take away some big name games from the iPhone?

1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    45.9%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    54.1%
  1. wonderva

wonderva Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    And then give a dumb down/crappy port version to the iPhone/iPod Touch

2. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Maybe the tablet will get crappy scaled up ports of iPhone titles too

3. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    Maybe Apple won´t produce a Tablet at all? :)

4. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    I think that developers will either concentrate on the iTablet or on the iPod Touch and not both (however, I could imagine developers thinking that they could make more money by making a dummed down version for the iPhone, but hopefully not).

5. aleksa-94

aleksa-94 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    do you really wanna sit in the bus shaking an enormous tablet device or just casually play gta on the iphone?:D

6. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    We barely see 3Gs hardware exclusives games. By that I mean games that only run on the true next gen. I'm not using Apple's use of the term, which can mean small updates, ala iPhone to 3G, or iPod touch "1st gen" to "2nd". And, yes, I know there is a slight difference in CPU clockspeed, but my point still stands: the RAM and GPU are the exact same, as is the CPU, 2nd gen just has a slightly faster one...it ain't like the move to 3Gs and the current gen 32/64GB touch devices, in which EVERYTHING is not only upgraded, but newer gen.

Anyway, we barely see 3Gs based hardware getting exclusives, or even that many games using the more powerful hardware at all. What makes you think a much more expensive tablet is gonna get many, if any, exclusives?

Honestly, the game centric market skews less expensive than Apple's computer markets. iPhone/touch was different because the latter (iPod touch) put Apple into the more affordable part of the mobile market. The tablet isn't going to hit that market because it'll be priced too high.

7. mrWalrus

mrWalrus Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2008
    designing games
    Venice, CA
    Developers, first and foremost, are going to want to make games for the larger installed base. Meaning, nobody is going to turn their back on the 80MM potential customers already out there. This is why you still see the majority of games accepting firmware 2.2.1. However, I'm sure some developers (ahem) are already planning on making special versions of their games for whatever new device Apple has in store..

8. A great deal depends on how the App Store is arranged if/when the tablet is released. iPhone/iPod touch is already in the hands of over 70 million people and Publishers/Developers will go where the market is.

It'll be difficult for developers to make enough money to justify making tablet exclusive titles until it has sold through to millions of people.

Remember, the App Store launched when the iPhone/iPod touch had already sold in vast numbers so I doubt there'll be a new gold-rush scenario.

9. morscata12

morscata12 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2008
    All iPhone games will work on the iPad. They will run in normal screen or x2 scaled mode.

Developers have the option to include a different interface/textures in their games for the iPad. As far as I know, you won't have to buy a different version of the game to see the result.

10. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    LFG has already said they might make this spinoff for the iTablet, since the bigger screen would, um, be bigger... and stuff. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Yowza!

11. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    #11 sid187, Jan 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
    lol swooons. laughs.

i thought we were suppose to get the final word on the itablet today.. or is that tomorrow or am i making this up.

never mind they calling it the ipad. laughs. i do not see this a lot of gamers buying it. i will admit sway would be fun on a bigger screen.. could be great for reading morning news at the breakfast table.. but, it will be for a small group of folks who will use it i think.
    chris.

12. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Maybe...

Once the sell over 250million devices like the iPhone/iPod Touch. :rolleyes:

13. jmarquiso

jmarquiso Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    The answer is yes -

But also it'll play I pod touch apps using pixel doubling... :)

14. synther

synther Well-Known Member

My expectations:

ports of existing games; huge flight control, big tap tap, etc.

New "iPhone" like games, just ordinary games, like shift or GTA fit on an iPad.

Totally new games; other drawing games, or other new innovative games wich require a big screen, board games, puzzles, strategy games( would be great on a big screen!), building games, etc.

I think I'll buy one, not sure if I take the 3G one, I'll only use it at home or in school I think, wich all have wifi, so I don't see the point. For quick mails I'll just use my phone.

15. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009

yeah if i get one it will be 16 gig wifi only. also.. i have to upgrade my ipod 2.. first.

so ill let everyone else get one.. and wait fort hem to show me sway on it before i save for one. lol.. ipod gen 4 is my first new purchase from apple. :)

chris.

16. Foozelz

Foozelz Well-Known Member

After the release of iPad, two weeks later...

It's jailbroken

17. merkamerka

merkamerka Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    The Tablet looks like shit anyways.