Tony Hawk 2 for iPhone video (legit or laborious fake)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by arta, May 12, 2009.

1. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    #1 arta, May 12, 2009
    Last edited: May 14, 2009
    Believe me I stared at this video 5 times to see if it was fake. Seems legit to me.

Video reupped.

Not a fan of the big buttons though. And how does this control scheme accounts for all the different moves that were mapped to the Playstation dpad?

2. Gavaphone

Gavaphone Active Member

Apr 23, 2009
    WOW, this is amazing, really cool!!! Smooth and fast!!!!

3. Sambo110

Sambo110 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Australia
    Cool, wonder if it will ever be released.

4. rphone

rphone Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Its fake!! Just watch when the glass is broken 0:24 the video goes outside iphone parameters

5. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Ermmm... the game only starts at 1:00.

6. jaikben

jaikben Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    aspyr made thps2 and cod2 for dell axim ( winmo ppc ) with opengles so porting to iphone seems possible, look it up on google its out for a while

7. Haldear

Haldear Active Member

Feb 19, 2009
    UK
    I loved this game on the playstation, would be cool to have it on my ipod :)

8. Kartel

Kartel Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    I don't know why they couldn't have had the buttons be invisible quadrants of the screen like Crazy Snowboard or swipes like Vans Sk8. Big buttons blocking the screen are horrible! :mad:

9. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    #9 arta, May 12, 2009
    Last edited: May 12, 2009
    Added description.

10. peter2nvy

peter2nvy Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    looks pretty solid, but looks like those buttons might get a bit distracting

11. peter2nvy

peter2nvy Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    ahah that did not really happen in the game footage, it was just used as an effect.

12. colmiak

colmiak Active Member

Jan 19, 2009
    perhaps theres only a limited amount of moves... i would have thought swiping in one direction while pressing a grab/kick/grind button would pull of different moves but i guess you dont really see him doing that in the video

still looks sick, i played the hell out of a tony hawk 2 demo on my ps1 lol, hope this is legit!

13. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    That looks a lot like the Dreamcast version which makes sense as it had very similar graphical capabilities (and even a related GPU) to the iPhone. Not saying it's definately real, just that it's more than possible.

The Dreamcast could be an interesting starting point for iPhone ports. PS1 games are far too primitive, PS2 far too demanding.

Crazy Taxi anyone?

14. ramsy66

ramsy66 New Member

May 12, 2009
    Sometimes on screen, the player would grab, but the guy wouldn't have pressed grab atall....

Hmm.

15. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    I dunno...........looks legit to me. Especially since one time the graphics screwed up due to iPhone.

I don't mind the buttons. But I am curious how they will get all the trick combination right.

16. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Eh...not really. Dreamcast is, as far as game development, a bit more powerful than iTouch/Phone.

I fell into that same trap of thinking the way you are now, as the MBX series is more powerful than the CLX2 series used in Dreamcast (labled PowerVR2DC), but the iPhone uses MBX-lite, not full fledged MBX, and DC had both dedicated VRAM and the SH-4 processor had an FPU to handle complex math, which the ARM11 used in iTouch/Phone lacks.

Simon Jeffrey, current president of Sega of America (oh for the days of Tom Kalinske, the last good SoA head honcho), was the one who stated it was "as powerful as Dreamcast", but he was not spot on.

And, just to throw this out there again, nearly a decade after it first turned up...DC and PS2 were not that far apart in capability. Seriously.

17. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Well, it's not hard to find out if it's a fake or not. It shows the devs (or one of them) is LTI Gray Matter. I hit up their website and it says iPhone Developer.....as well as a bunch of other consoles. I'm shooting them an email now.

18. lordofbbq

lordofbbq Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Nice, let us know what they say. A port of THPS2 seems possible and I spent many hours on the PC playing that game. I believe it is the best Tony Hawk game of all time. From the video, that graphics actually look a little sharper I guess because of the small screen. It would be sweet if this was real!

19. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Looks real I remember having Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 for my Nintendo Gameboy SP with a highscore of 4 million when I was like 7.

I was a beast at that game.

20. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

i hope this is real as it would be a fantastic game to have. i had 3 or 4 tony hawk games on xbox and loved them. this would be great to stick on whenever you have some free times to just go nuts on the parks or do some challenges