banner ad? seriously?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by Jaytee, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Jaytee

Jaytee Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2009
    i just want to point out that the new banner across the top of the page really sucks. i feel like this website has contiually gotten more cluttered with ads as i've been coming here, but this is ugly and silly. surely you can come up with something less intrusive than "DON'T BE A FATTY" plastered across the top of your website.

this makes me want to stop using the site. seriously.

2. Jaytee

Jaytee Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2009
    worse yet, apparently you guys can't even fill the ad spaces you had already. what's the deal?

3. G0tsk1llz

G0tsk1llz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    I don't really care about the ads. If you don't want to see them, just scroll down the page and it magically disappears :eek:

4. hazmat95

hazmat95 Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    omg thats new to me:eek:

5. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    Not much to say really.

Ads pay for the site to exist. We're pretty non-intrusive compared to most sites. If you don't like this particular ad, come back next week.

edit: and we ask our readers not to block ads or encourage ad blocking.

arn

6. d4l3

d4l3 Member

Mar 11, 2009
    SoCal
    At least the ads are for iphone apps and not some annoying animated classmates or "win a free ipod" or "what's your IQ". I definitely look at the game ads, it shows what developer is serious about their product enough. There's also no flash!!

7. dcescott

dcescott Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    #7 dcescott, Mar 12, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
    So we are reviewing the apps right, not the ads? I always not wanted to be a fatty. Therefore the ad worked!

8. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    quit your bitchin. I bet your just some fat guy who feels offended by it. Arn needs to eat. Are you gonna pay his bills for him?

9. Ads are great on this site as they're very relevant to target audience. Sometimes something catches my eye that I previously overlooked.

10. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    #10 rIcHrAnDoM, Mar 13, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
    Would you please fund the site every month so it can be ad free? This thread really sucks! Please, next time you are bored and decide to whine about how you don't like the site you chose to visit, at least search for previous threads dealing with the exact content that you are on about, so you aren't cluttering the site even more!

Oh, and since you aren't going to fund TA, the "clutter" will be staying.....ah, silly me, where are my manners? Good-bye to you. Go visit any other website that is free to you and I'll bet they have advertisments.

I'm all for freedom of choice, you say "This makes me want to stop using the site.", like Nike; Just Do It. Seriously!!!!!!

11. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    The ads don't bother me at all. As arn said, they fund this site through (Google ads?). It's a weird system that I don't profess to understand, but every cent counts. Besides, you might want the game in the ad!:p

12. Jaytee

Jaytee Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2009
    My problem isn't ads in general, it's this big one on the top. It takes up a lot of space right where I need some, not to mention that the other ad spaces aren't even filled! Why would you add another banner if you can't even fill the space you have? If this site is really in such financial dire straits that you have to keep taking up more of my browser with ads, maybe it's time to give up.

It just sucks.

13. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    but it's not the first one of this size and in that position, there was zen bound before

14. jecebn

jecebn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    ...seriously? There are ads on EVERY site youo will ever visit... at least these ads are releavant to the site. Do they really bother you that much? All you have to do is scroll and the ad goes away. It costs money to run a website, enabling ads pays for that cost. Would you rather pay to view this site? The banner at the top isn't even that big, and where do you see ad space that isn't filled?

... or you could just go away, Im sure nobody here would miss you

15. PeterM11

PeterM11 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    East Coast, USA
    I don't really mind the ads that much. They have actually convinced me to visit one or two site I probably never would have before or look at some new apps.

While I do agree that the banner across the top isn't the prettiest sight but I see how it is kind of necessary to keep the sight running without breaking the budget and all. So I don't really mind it.

16. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Dude, get a life. I could understand your sniveling if you had some stake or tie in the site. Jaytee, try contributing, in some way, to the site. Otherwise quit coming here to just whine. If you are that hard up for interaction with others try eHarmony or something!

Mods, this bogus thread has had it's nonsensical run, could you please free up the space where this thread is and close it?

17. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    All the ad's I see on this website relate to the iPhone and app's so I see no problem, it is an iPhone application website after all.

18. dudehuge

dudehuge Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    #18 dudehuge, Mar 16, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
    Please stop using the site fatty. Servers ain't free so stfu. Go back to neogaf, we don't need you here. Time to swing the banhammer imo.

19. indyraider4

indyraider4 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    I am good with the ads. I even click all of the ads at least once to check it out, and have bought apps through these ads.

20. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    I'm OK. Though since this is the first banner ad I think it feels weird for most people for it to be "Don't Be A Fatty". It's like telling me to go on a diet. diet is die with a t