Best Headphones

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by drswisher23, Jul 25, 2009.

1. drswisher23

drswisher23 Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    #1 drswisher23, Jul 25, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
    I just bought a pair of skullcandy earphones for 45dollars and I wanted to know if I made a good choice. Can you tell me what you think are the best earphones for a reasonable price?
    Sorry if this is the wrong thread

Edit: Are they better than Scosche headphones for 40 bucks because I almost bought those instead. Also, has anybody ever heard of Radius Atomic Bass.

2. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Amazon has pretty good deals on Sennheiser earbuds, and after having tried them out, I gotta admit, they're the best. $50 down to $35, I think, not bad. I got a pair of the Smokin' Buds for $30, while they're not bad or anything, they're nothing to call home about.

3. Combzzz

Combzzz Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2009
    skullcandy is probably the worst choice u could have made
    have had over 7 pairs of skull candy head phones and all of them have broken even the expensive, my brother has also expirienced this

4. ktfright

ktfright Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    skullcandy is the best...other than beats by dre. im a rapper, believe me, you made a very good choice.:cool:

5. #5 Mindfield, Jul 25, 2009
    Over-the-ear: Sennheiser and Grado (I love my SR60s) make very good quality cans that are more expensive than the average, but reasonably priced for what you get.

For in-ear monitors, Shure make great ones, but go for the SE310s if you can. The 210s are okay, and the 110s are passable for casual listening, but the 310s are where they start sounding really sweet. Sennheiser also make nice IEMs.

I've never been particularly impressed by Skullcandy. I looked into the Beats by Dr. Dre cans recently but was left a little underwhelmed by the range, and I won't buy anything with active noise cancellation. I've yet to hear a pair that didn't introduce artifacts into the audio in noisy situations.

6. Flashbang99

Flashbang99 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2009
    I real am enjoying my Skullcandy Skullcrushers headphones with the built in battery powered amplifier. I have never used any skullcandy ear buds, however, but id imagine with proper care they would last a while. What pair did you buy, in ear? just search the specs on google if your interested in the quality of your headphones. Enjoy!

7. indyraider4

indyraider4 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    I love my sennheiser on ear headphones. I got them for $37 through amazon. Very light, very portable, collapsable, and pretty good bass. Definitely better than I expected. Also, the koss porta pro headphones are good if you can stand the super retro design.

8. I loved the PortaPros back in the 90s -- far better than Koss' more expensive offerings due to the open design. Damn fine headphones for the price with remarkable range, but they leaked sound like a sieve.

9. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    If you want some quality earphones I suggest looking at Ultimate Ears. Logitech bought them recently, but I've always been happy with Logitech so I imagine quality hasn't suffered.

10. fluffyguitarist

fluffyguitarist Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    I'm CEO, bitch.
    Stuck in Limbo
    dude. Skullcandy Smokin Buds are the best. they are the best bass in headphones. Honestly, they sound better than the $100 Shure headphones, and $85 less. Also, Creative Labs make the best PC-soundcards on the market so Creative Labs and Skullcandy have the best earbuds and sound quality on the market. The only thing though is that the Skullcandy buds break about every 6 to 12 months however they're only $15 at target so it's not that bad ;)

11. teagan1000000

teagan1000000 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    I have the apple in ear headphones, there good souond quality and volume, but medium sized tips seem too small and large are too big so they fall out, skull candy icons i use for comfort, they are realy cozy on ear, and have great quality

12. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    #12 S.I.D. CrAzY, Jul 25, 2009
    No, just no.

lol.

Anyways, back on topic, SkullCandy headphones aren't the best in any price range. If you're buying them based on looks fine, but SQ wise you can get better for the same, if not lower price.

Some good cheap alternatives would be some Sennheisers CX500, NuForce NE7M's, and the Apple Dual Drivers, but only if you can get a good deal on Ebay(about 40 bucks) don't pay what the Apple.com store is trying to charge, they're not that good.

Some reallllyyy cheap alternatives(10-15 dollar price range) would be the JVC Marshmallows.

13. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    I forget what brand it was, but I found a sweet pair of headphones at a five below store. It was normally priced $15 elsewhere. It may have been Skullcandy. I dunno.

14. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Shure makes good in-ear - the E2c is a reasonable, lower priced alternative. Etymotic, and Ultimate Ear are also good choices.

Skull candy are others like it use inexpensive components, and people buy them for looks and brand name.

So, if you want to look cool - get your skullcandy, if you want things to sound good, get something else.

Concerning the bass - a lot of people like to have a lot of bass - it does not mean a better quality. Having good sound quality sometimes requiring getting used to something as people generally don't really listen to the sounds. Balance, and a flat audio response (having the earphones actually reproducing the sounds) is not always what jumps out at you, but ultimately you will enjoy it much more.

15. darchinst

darchinst Well-Known Member

May 26, 2009
    manager
    Shreveport, la
    jesus christ don't listen to half these people. as the guy up there said, no. just no. skullcandy is only made for the looks, the sound is not there. creative labs? no. go and read some reviews of headphones on a few audiophile sites before you spend money on headphones.

over the ear for a reasonable price? i have a pair of sony mdr-v6 that i got for less than 80 bucks and have great sound. they have been getting great reviews for 20 years and are still getting them. look em up.

for out in public ear buds i'm not too sure. but upper-scale sennheiser is known for great sound on all types of phones.

so many of you buttering up skullcandy? really? that's just a shame. that guy may be a 'rapper' but don't believe the hype (pun intended) go read some real reviews and then go to a store where you can listen to the different brands actually playing music (that means somewhere better than best buy, they don't sell high-end headphones.) and no, the bose cans that best buy sells are not considered high-end headphones by those who know, just high-priced.

16. Derek800

Derek800 Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    I'm sorry to tell you but skullcandy are not good headphones. Just look on the forums at headfi.org. Pretty much anyone on there will tell you how bad they are. The are marketed to young people who want "cool" looking headphones but they are really not good sound quality. If you want some over ear headphones that sound good and have a lot of bass get the sennheiser hd212's. These run about $60 but they sound ten times better than any crap that skullcandy has to offer. By the way I'm not just flaming skullcandy without trying them I own a pair of the inkd and I never listen to them.

17. fluffyguitarist

fluffyguitarist Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    I'm CEO, bitch.
    Stuck in Limbo
    euh I'm an audiophile as well/young person and for *$15* Skullcandy headphones are the best. That and Creative Labs make THE best soundcards for PC's/Macs on the market they KNOW sound. You guys don't know anything. Also it's user preference as well...

18. ktfright

ktfright Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    skullcandys sound quality is very good. i admit its not the best, but for me, a guy who need good quality headphones, with lots of bass, skullcandys are very good. my only gripe is that, yes, they do break in like 4-5 months, but that is because my whole family uses my earphones (which to me is nasty, because i don't want my earbuds in other peoples ears)

19. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    i thought they were only $20?

20. Derek800

Derek800 Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    I'm sorry but I don't think you can call yourself an audiophile if you say that skullcandy is the best in the price range. Jvc marshmallows sound better and are the same price. The people who say skullcandy are the best obviously have not heard a good pair of headphones. It's the same thing with Bose, they have a great marketing campaign that leads people to believe that they are the best when they are far from it, much better headphones can be gotten for less.