iPod touch 3G and 3GS games.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Hmar9333, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    I went out and got my shiny new iPod touch 3G today, and I decided to see if it could run 3GS specific games (Because I know it can). Tried installing sketch hop and it's not compatible?

Does anyone know of any other free 3GS specific games I can try?

Edit: I have however noticed huge performance boosts and greatly decreased loading times in other games (e.g. WORMS)

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I would try Adrenaline Golf. It isn't free, but it's a great mini golf game and it works with both 2nd and 3rd generation devices (it automatically switches to the best available graphics). You'll be able to tell easily if you're running on 3Gs graphics by looking at the water effects and the global lighting/shading.

By the way, the iPod Touch 3G has the same pixel-shader support of the 3Gs, so there's no reason why Sketch Hop wouldn't work. My guess is that they have to update the file settings to allow for the new device.

I'm glad that you mentioned the performance boost. There's a bunch of uninformed opinion about the iPod Touch upgrade (someone used the word 'lackluster') based on the lack of a camera and FM radio. What you have there, though, is a device that's at least twice as fast, has twice the internal RAM (you'll notice a lot fewer 'out-of-memory' crashes; I rarely restart my 3Gs), and provides graphical capabilities that rival even dedicated portable gaming devices. It's like going from a PS1 to a PS2 -- and paying the same price. Sound's pretty good to me.

3. Hmar9333

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    I totally agree with you. I think that the 3rd Gen Touch can definately play sketch hop, but I couldn't even install it because it said "Sketch Hop is not compatible with your device"

I think I'll give adrenaline golf a shot. I was asking for free games before because I had no credit. But I do now :)

4. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

Yeah I got mine yesterday too. The speed boost is amazing. Games like Blades of Glory would take about 10-15 seconds to load a fight on my old touch, on the 3G touch its more like 3 seconds. Same with just about every game. And framerates see a massive improvement. :D

@ squarezero or Hmar9333, do you know for a fact that Adrenaline Golf works on the 3rd gen touch in the better graphics mode. Oh and is it any good, or would I just be buying it for the better graphics?

5. Hmar9333

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    I can confirm that the game has improved graphics on the 3G Touch, and it seems like a fairly decent game too.

6. seyoon

seyoon Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    East Coast
    You can also try the enhanced Dark Raider S and Blue Skies 3GS. These two were designed with pixel shaders to take advantage of the OpenGL ES 2.0 specifically in the 3GS and the new touch (cept the 8gb). Should be badass.

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I have Dark Raider 3Gs, and even though the shading effects look nice, it's nothing
    that would change your opinion of the original (I happen to like it, but some people didn't). Keep in mind that if the developer set the store parameters to "3gs only" you won't be able to download it to the new Touch (though it would work fine if you did).

8. seyoon

seyoon Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    East Coast
    Works fine on my new touch. And yes, it rocks! :)

9. Joshn

Joshn Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    England
    Just got my new 32 gig, 3rd gen ipod touch. I'm upgrading from a 8 gig 1st gen so im expecting a massive difference!

10. Franco

Franco Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Dark Raider S , Blue Skies S , and Adrenaline Golf all work perfectly on the new Ipod Touch (as it should).

Yes, the speed upgrade (not a bump, much more than that) even from my 2g Touch is remarkable. There is an internet site (sry dont rememeber name) that opened and confirmed that the cpu processor is slightly faster than the one in the iphoneGS. Owners of both platforms are reporting faster performance on Touch.

11. Decoy_Octopus

Decoy_Octopus Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Try Blue Skies 3GS, Dark Raider, or Adrenaline Golf