Universal Horn (by Phosphor Games Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    It's a demo to every extent. The new mode in this is as much of a "fully functional game" as the arena mode in Infinity Blade is. Nobody was or is buying, praising or recommending Horn based on its new minigame, and the developers are no more "fooling" or "ripping off" people any more than Chair would be if they released a version of Infinity Blade that only featured two normal story-mode battles and the arena mode.

Seriously though, you've only been posting since August this year and you've almost never appeared in a thread where you haven't insulted or made rude and/or unreasonable demands of a developer. The simple truth in this case is that people jumped to an erroneous conclusion, decided to take cheap potshots at the developer based on misinformation, and are now trying to move the goalposts to save face.

Nobody's screwing you over. It's a demo. The big console-esque adventure game you paid for? Nobody's getting that for free. Put your toys back in the box already.

2. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    #882 defred34, Dec 12, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
    I rest my case. You are launching unwarranted personal attacks.

I have given praise where it is due. Granted, it is exceptionally rare, but go look at the threads of Polara and Lili, I have lots and lots of good things to say about these games!

Update: And the fact you don't understand what I am saying about the game not being a "true" demo is just sad too.

3. Phosphor_chip

Phosphor_chip Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    The Quest Mode: The Quest Mode was originally conceived to come with the ver 1.0 of the game, but we had to backburner it when we needed to focus on getting the story done to ship. While the app was sitting with Apple for approval, we started working on it- so before we had any feedback at all on the game- nobody had played it yet- we were working on this mode. It was built as a mode for the Premium game.

Free Mode: After we saw all the complaints of people wanting to play the game but balking at the price, we tried to think of what offering we could give of the game away without breaking any of it. Making a old school limited "demo" seemed to be the best fit, and as we were finishing up the Quest mode, we realized it would also be a good fit since it was endless and the demo wouldn't be worthless after you completed it, but we still held back the story and puzzles and large world that you'd have to pay for the premium.

D-Pad working in Horn: The difficulty in just making it work-In a nutshell, all of our interacts are hand scripted and initiated, and they are waiting for a 'touch event' to be active. When the player touches something, their actions are hijacked so the interact can play. If the player is pressing a button to move, they never actually enter a volume where they are told to stop moving, so they will go right through interacts, possibly fall through the world. All the interacts would have to be reworked for this, new world collisions have to be built, etc.

That said, many of our partners are interested in us making a physical joystick version of the game. If we did do that, some form of virtual controls would be much easier to implement. The "tap and hold" to go forward is a great suggestion, we mentioned we'd like to do something similar in this article:
    http://www.pocketgamer.biz/r/PG.Biz/Horn/feature.asp?c=45848

iPhone 5 Native Res- we are actively trying to get this in as soon as possible. It requires putting moving the game to new libraries and we do a lot of customization, so it takes longer than we'd hope.

Again, thank you all for the feedback- the comments we receive definitely drives what we focus on and how we think about things- the entire reason we didn't make a F2P version of the whole game of Horn is because of the feedback we previously received, and went with a limited demo instead.

4. Farfield

Farfield Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Well, I was doubtful about buying the game, because seems awesome, but I wasn't really sure. However, I played the demo version and now I'm sure I'll be buying it soon.

The only thing it's concerning me it's sometimes the game became a little laggy but just for a seconds. About the dpad, I fhink just an option would be good, perhaps something seemed like the Chaos Rings dpad. This guys did an awesome work, the highly detailed faces and lips synchronization seems great. Anyways, thanks for the demo version

5. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    I remember when I played the game the lip synchronization was quite some way off (it was noticeable). So you're saying somewhere along the line they improved it and the lip movement is almost exactly as they speak?

6. Farfield

Farfield Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2011
    I'm sorry I didn't get what your said (Poor english)

What I'm saying it's a nice improvement. But if I get what you're asking, you're wondering if the lip movement is exactly the same as the word they speak? If so, I didn't saw so much detailed movement, but the movement was, like I said, a good improve

7. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    I made this same recommendation somewhere earlier in the thread. Yes, Lili's controls are among the best for a free movement game on touchscreen devices - so simple and amazing to use, and lets you enjoy the scenery.

However, judging by their response (which is a little vague), neither this nor a traditional d-pad can be implemented.

8. shoi

shoi Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2012
    As I understood it is that when you tap on the screen to move, they check against the environment to see if you can go there.
    It is a one time check.
    If they change to a virtual D-pad, they will have to check against your movement at every single frame to ensure you don't go out of bound.
    But it seems, for optimization purpose I assume, they have a very simple collision detection system that goes very well with the tap scheme but would allow you to go out of bound with a virtual D-pad.
    So it means they will have to add more collision logic to each element in the game, which could certainly lead to performances problem.

But it might not be what he was saying though lol.

9. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Ok, what you say makes sense....but if they are able to implement a progressive tap-to-go (you don't need to lift your finger and the movement is smooth), then this argument doesn't hold water (correct me if I'm wrong).

10. shoi

shoi Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2012
    I guess tap-to-go is a bit easier to implement because it is just a straight line.
    You just need to calculate the maximum end point at the time of the tap.
    So it might still be hard to implement but easier than an 100% virtual D-Pad.

Note that I am extrapolating what he wrote so take this with a huge grain of sault.

11. Schutzenegger

Schutzenegger Member

Jun 7, 2012
    Is it just me or is combat achingly unresponsive at times. Maybe I'm too used to playing infinity blade, but I find that I just can't react the same way, and I don't seem to have many cues to go off of. Maybe this is because I've just started playing the demo today, but I feel I should be able to pick up on something when it comes to fighting the pygons.

12. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    You are probably just a slow learner. The pygons do give away cues as to when they attack, and once you've played the game enough, each pygon has its own pattern that can help you know when they're gonna attack you.

13. Kotovsky

Kotovsky Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    I really can't understand someone's butthert when small part of the game was released as a f2p edition.

Quest Mode consists of 3 quest routes. It's about 5% of the original full priced game.

As for the IAPs in demo - well, that's free2play gamer's pain, owners of complete Horn shouldn't care much about it.

14. Johnny101

Johnny101 Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    Yes, I may have jumped the gun with my reaction, I saw the word free with phosphor/ Zynga and assumed it was The Dark meadow all over again. I think people panicked when they saw the free version, especially when some bought the original version at 6.99 but if the free version is a demo and only 5% of the game. I don't see anything wrong with that.

15. Johnny101

Johnny101 Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    #895 Johnny101, Dec 12, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
    Edit: Deleted, double post

16. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    /applause

Goal post moving indeed.
    "You're wrong because it can't be a *real* demo because it has a functional mini-game!"
    "How dare you point out that Apple won't allow my definition of a demo on the app store :mad:"
    "BUT IT HAZ IAPZ!!!!"

:D

It is a smaller, simpler stand alone game that shows off the style and flavor of the full game, AKA as close to an outright demo as app store rules allow. It is not in any way, shape or form a conversion of the original game to a freemium model as happened with Dark Meadow. Yet we still see epic butt hurt, brilliant :)

17. tognesimo

tognesimo Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    I've just starter the game but I experiment stuttering at the beginning an when scenario change! Is it normal? iPhone 4s 32gb!

18. Kotovsky

Kotovsky Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    How many different routes quest mode has? I counted three.

19. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    I think a history of negativity directed toward most games, then followed by a proposal to change yet another well-liked game to one's liking is rather contradictory. It means most people are going to disagree with the change, not that it's a good idea in the broad sense.

20. Psac42

Psac42 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Finally finished the game (or what is now known as Story mode.). Despite its flaws, it's one hell of a game. Immediately made my top five. To me, a MUCH more enjoyable experience than the Infinity Rails (I mean Blade) games. Between this and Dark Meadow (before the shenanigans), they really do know how to make a great game. I hope Phosphor can keep them coming.

My note on the bugs, and there are a few, is that many people (rightfully so) consider Aralon the high water mark for iOS RPG gaming, but I played at least six months after the release, and I fought Uthu/Urthu/whatever his name was from inside his body because of some wild bug. Aralon was a buggy mess. Great game, but a real mess. Way worse than Horn, and yet people were very forgiving. (Maybe just a testament to all the bad will from DM.)