Pangea Software talks about how much money devs make/ how many copies we buy.

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by arta, Apr 14, 2009.

1. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009

Very informative. On average if you're in the top 100 you're selling at least 1000 copies a day (he says when Enigmo was on top it was selling 18,000 copies a day.

Folks who STAY in the number 1 spot get $250,000 to $1million in sales.

On the low end devs make $50 to $100 a day.
    Decent-good apps that don't make top 100 make $100 to $1000 a day.

2. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Yes, well, if Pangea actually made good games, I'd be happy for them, but I just really wanna toss that guy in a vat of boiling for Engimo alone. Nanosaur, I'd give a vial of Spanish Flu to the entire design team for that!

3. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Well while I don't get the hype about their games myself it was cool of him to give gamers and devs such candid glimpses into the inner workings of the Appstore.

4. rpb1975

rpb1975 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Texas
    Have you been watching Regenesis? ;)

5. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    enigmo is the only decent game pangea has made for iphone

6. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Actually, I disagree. I thought that Enigmo was plain and boring, while other games such as Cro-Mag Rally and Nanosaur 2 were much better.

7. dmbfan1192

dmbfan1192 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Enigmo wasn't even made for the iPhone. They were just lucky that the port fit well. I bought all their games like a fool when some of them were a dollar. All of their games combined weren't worth $8 so I feel bad for people that paid that for one game. If you're going to port a game, at least change something. I actually take that back a little, Enigmo was worth a dollar but it's too bad that I paid $2 for it :(

8. Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The Internet
    i don't understand all the hate on Pangea...i've had good fun with some of their titles.

9. jawslover

jawslover Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    JERICHO, KS
    I know, I bet it's because some of their games look like they are more suitable for kids, which isn't true. I found Bugdom 2 extremely fun, and same with Nanosaur 2.

10. Kris Jones

Kris Jones Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Producer/Publisher/Designer of Mobile Games
    America
    I don't think this thread was intended to flame "Pangea" or their software. Not all software will serve the needs of all customers. Since it was selling so well it means that there were people who quite enjoyed it.

My company's upcoming game Sparta: Lords of War is surely going to be criticized for being "too violent" and that it isn't family friendly.

I believe I read that Enigmo earned him $1,500,000 and that is a fair bit of change. I just don't understand why he went out of his way to give away that information.

11. slipster216@gmail.com

[email protected] Active Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Game Developer
    Boston, mass
    On the low end, you make about $1 a day. There are thousands of apps out there making next to nothing, some of them are really decent as well. From personal experience, Splat has gotten excellent reviews on every site I've been able to get it reviewed on, currently has a 4.77 rating in iTunes, and sells about 2-4 copies a day. On days when there's an update, I'll sell about 10 copies or so by being on the new list.

The reality is much harsher than people make it out to be; the curve after the top 100 drops like a brick with a jet engine strapped to the back of it. So if you can't get on the top 100 list, get featured by apple, or even get reviewed by some of the large sites, you'll likely not earn enough to get an actual check from apple.

12. Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The Internet
    Yeah, same here. I wanna try otto matic as well, but I'll wait for a price drop.

13. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Wow Kris you're right I thought everyone would be talking about such an industry trade secret (sales) instead of flaming Pangea.

14. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Damn.

Maybe Apple should add options to let consumers see the top 500 and 1000?

15. chukwuka13

chukwuka13 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    When the 3.0 update comes out, developers are going to go crazy with it. If the app sales don't decrease from the update then there income they make will be off the charts.

16. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    #16 Kamazar, Apr 14, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
    Hehe, er *cough* yeeaaah, we find it a *bit* easier to complain. Buuuut, I kinda started it, so I'll try to help get it back on track.

Considering Enigmo was on half the ads displayed with the iPod touch before the AppStore didn't launch, that might have boosted sales. Just like with Cro-Mag Rally, Crash Kart, and MotionX Dice. And while the games may be sub-par, the graphics are gorgeous.

No, Apple needs to fix their rating system and interface. Games are rated by solely by their sales. If we can somehow implement sales with customer ratings in there, we could come out with a pretty decent chart. Believe me, people won't leave through thousands of apps. They all end up looking the same after a while.

17. dmbfan1192

dmbfan1192 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2009
    #17 dmbfan1192, Apr 14, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
    It was slightly amusing hopping around with a grasshopper and flying with a dinosaur and than I started to get dizzy... it was so choppy that I wanted to throw up. I really want to play the games, but can't because they make me sick. Enigmo was the only Pangea game that didn't make me dizzy. Too bad the controls were awful...

EDIT: I don't want to flame Pangea's games (yes, really), I am just baffled at how some of their games make 50 times as much money as games that are 50 times better... and then they need to go tell everybody about their success.

18. Kris Jones

Kris Jones Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Producer/Publisher/Designer of Mobile Games
    America
    BACK TO THE TOPIC:

I believe that Brian Greenstone may be a little optimistic on his outlook for the apps. I do need to note there was an error in the description. Brian says that "on the low end, apps make about $1 to $50 per day." The description states $50 to $100.

It is no secret, if you ever go to the AppStore, that many of these so-called apps and games are just AWFUL. Some are even beyond AWFUL. Yet they still make at least a little bit of money.

I am very excited about this environment that can profit small and indie developers, but sadly the market is being saturated with such garbage that the few quality apps will be overshadowed by the hordes of crapware.

But I also believe that Apple is doing the right thing. Being too restrictive will make it too challenging for indies to profit in the market.

19. Gimka

Gimka Well-Known Member

There is no such thing as luck. Luck is preparation meets opportunity. ;)

They have been programming for Apple for 2 decades before it even popular. They have invested a lot on the platform and I think they deserve every bit of success for being the first.

20. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    So how do you go about separating the good stuff from the crap for consumers to pick up? Only reason I have a good idea of the proper games is because of the forums. If I bought an iPhone today I'd be looking to buy some Match 3 game instead of iDracula cause that game isn't in the top 100, and that game is a heavy hitter!