What's with everyone getting upset over games being 9 OS?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by spader623, May 9, 2016.

1. spader623

spader623 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2014
    I don't get it. I understand people want to stay under 9 for various reasons (games not working above their current OS, not liking potential bugs or whatever) but the thing is, that's your decsision. Devs decide to go with 9 and maybe Apple wants them to or maybe they decided 9 is the only way to get the app or game they want to work. Whatever the reason though, some of you saying 'well it's on 9 so I, an esteemed person, will NOT be purchasing it'. I really doubt your money would make a huge difference... (Sorry I had to get this off my chest, it's been bugging me)

2. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    Perhaps it's unfair, but the expectation is that a developer doesn't particularly need to release a game on iOS 9 or above - especially as probably the vast majority pitch in at about iOS 7 or 8. So when something comes in at iOS 9, gamers have to decide whether they're ready to give up on certain games they're not done with (MHFU, mainly) in order to play something else.

As I said, it may be unfair.

For me, if and when Capcom update Monster Hunter, I will probably update my iOS the same day. Then I can go get Fallen London or Lumino City or Chrono Trigger or whatever. Till then, I will probably stay on iOS 8.

3. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    It makes it more difficult for thieves to pirate.

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I havent seen anyone really bitch about iOS9 requirement. Was there really?

5. spader623

Jan 18, 2014
    A lot? No. Enough that it's at least a few people for each new popular game? (EX: inks)? Yes.

6. spader623

Jan 18, 2014
    Then why release on 9? There's gotta be a reason for it. I'm pretty sure it's not because they wanna upset people. And that's fine, but that's the trade off. You play older games, can't play newer ones. I think it's stupid that it's like that, but that's how it is

7. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    Games not working, and also each update is quite big so not good on phones and tablets with less than the 32gb.

8. retrogamOR

retrogamOR Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Both my Ipads are still on IOS 8.The main reason for this is Gamecentre bug in IOS9 that has hit many people for 7-8 months.

I can live without gamecentre,but the fact that some games don't even work without gamecentre functionality has been the sole reason why i haven't updated my devices.

I looks like the bug has been fixed in the new beta & i will update when Apple goes public with the fix (and if it fixes it).

9. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    Yep, that is how it is. Very frustrating to know I can't play Chrono Trigger, for example, but could play It any time - but only if I give up other games for ever.

10. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    To summarise:

Jailbreak
    Gamecenter bug
    Older (can't bare to part with) games staying back on IOS 8 only
    Fear of slowed down device when upgrading

11. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #11 syntheticvoid, May 10, 2016
    Last edited: May 11, 2016
    I dunno about getting upset... I put a lot of purchases off because I didn't want to update my OS. Music apps, and a MASSIVE amount of games that I still play that don't work on anything post iOS 7, and a few that don't work on anything past iOS 4 (but I have an old Touch 2 for those).

I will admit that it's been nice playing all these iOS 8+ only games since getting my 6S... But I totally get why people don't update. Granted, I'm not as active I here as I use to be, but I haven't seen much complaining about OS requirements. I mean, not anymore than any time in the past... Anyone remember iOS 5? So many games broken because of it.... The forums were a mess... Constant 'is dev X gonna fix X?!?!' It's something you'll get use to with any OS that breaks compatability for a lot of apps (hang around on iOS long enough and it'll happen to you too...)

12. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Highly doubt it. Pirating is easier then ever before. No one really needs to be jailbroken anymore and even Apple has helped them to give them all the tools they need - for free.

It's just that there were many new API's introduced and/or modified (modified -> the reason why many games were broken after) lately so if Devs want to utilize them they will simply have to make their games available for iOS9+ only. Just my 2 cents.