Is it unfair when iOS asks players to rate just-deleted apps?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Philipp, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Philipp

Philipp Well-Known Member

#1 Philipp, Oct 25, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
    When you delete an app on the iPad, you are asked to give it a rating. Isn't that a bit odd? If you delete something, you're much more likely than usual to give it a bad rating. We might say "it's still fair because every app gets the same treatment, so it won't skew your app ratings in relation to other apps", but some observations:

- Does it disfavor iPad apps? I didn't see such a request on my iPhone/ iOS4 when I deleted something...
    - Does it disfavor apps which are good but simply not for everyone, or for every use case? Perhaps I download something then realize, I wanted it to do something else, but the app is still cool in its own right.
    - Does it disfavor free apps, because people are more likely to give those a quick try then quickly delete them again?

To make it more fair, perhaps Apple should:
    - also ask people to give a game a rating if the person has been found playing the game a lot. This might give more 5 star ratings.
    - add the choice for the user who deleted something to choose "just wasn't for me" instead of giving a bad rating
    - simply remove this rating-upon-deletion dialog? Then people who didn't like an app would be required to go through the same obstacle -- looking for the app store review page -- as people who did like it.

Would love to hear your feedback!

2. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    It is very unfair

That's why they removed the rate on delete prompt when they went to iOS4.

Once 4.2 is available for iPad it won't be an issue anymore

3. MeteorFlare

MeteorFlare Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    it's removed in the iOS 4.2 beta editions! =]

4. Philipp

Philipp Well-Known Member

Glad to hear, thanks guys!

5. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    If you think about it about 99% of the time people delete apps because they dislike them. = low rating.