Racing game made with unreal engine

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by mestour, May 28, 2011.

1. mestour

mestour Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2010
  2. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    Very interesting! Looks fantastic, hard to tell what the concept of the actual racing entails, but it sure is pretty!

3. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    mestour, do you have a fetish for the unreal engine? :p

4. iNexus

iNexus Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    The Great White North
    make it better

for an offroad game the track look unusually flat. no?

5. kileriukaslektuviukas

kileriukaslektuviukas Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Lithuania
    another game that we won't see... :(

6. mestour

Nov 27, 2010
    Why not ?

7. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    haha ya i think he does... :p

8. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    This looks absolutely horrible. Everyone thinks the unreal engine will bring them lots of money, but you need to use it WELL. These graphics just suck. If you want people to get interested, show them a finished product. And a good one.

9. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Using the Unreal Engine "well" costs too much money. Especially for third-party indie developers.

How much money do you think it took Chair to make Infinity Blade? I would hesitate to even call Infinity Blade a "full-fledged" game, too be honest. And Chair didn't have to pay a licensing fee either. And they're not an Indie company. They have massive resources. And they have significant knowledge when it comes to optimizing the engine.

I don't see how small developers will utilize this engine well in a game that they can then expect to turn around and sell for like, .99-2.99, and still hope to make a reasonable profit, when Apple is taking 30 percent, the government is taking their share in the form of taxes and Epic is taking yet another cut from off the top.

Basically, whether it's Unity or Unreal or whatever, many of these developers are just slapping something together on the cheap. The most successful appstore business model goes something along these lines

Make it cheap
    Sell it cheap
    ?
    Profit

or

Make it cheap
    Give it away
    convince a bunch of idiot people into burn their money on consumable IAP
    ?
    profit

10. simonmoeller

simonmoeller Member

Dec 7, 2010
    ChAIR was 10 guys for 6 months on Inf Blade, just saying.

11. Lacabra

Lacabra Member

May 29, 2011
    Hullo folks, I'm the lead on this project, the OP linked me in the youtube comments. Seems like you guys could benefit from some context: The game's only been in development since April 11th by 3 guys on a $0 budget. We all live in different countries, and don't always have access to the same files, so sometimes we make videos to show each other something we did. This is just a quick one I took on my phone to show the others the menu I'd whipped up, and left it public so folks could see what we're up to.

So, redribbon - don't worry, it's far from a final build.

GPS - thanks. It's a racing-and-killing-zombies-with-your-truck game. We're planning on updating frequently based on feedback (although I haven't yet looked into Apple's policy on updates and how frequently we'd be able to push them through)

iNexus - Yeah, the ground on that track is brushed out with BSP at the moment, and is going to be replaced with a more detailed mesh. "make it better" is indeed the plan. :p

doodlejumper - as I mentioned, this really isn't a "check out our amazing visuals" video so much as a "hey coder, I made a menu" video, and that section of map I wind up driving around isn't the prettiest we've got. :p We're working on it.

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll let you know when there's a more informative video (doesn't help that the only video camera I have access to is my phone). I do have an old photo actually - does this really look so bad? I'm honestly asking, since I'm sure you all have played more iOS apps than I have. We're still relatively new to dealing with the many constraints the lower-end hardware in iOS devices puts on development.

12. mestour

Nov 27, 2010
    can post your updates here :D ?

13. Lacabra

Lacabra Member

May 29, 2011
    Sure, why not. :p