iPhone Magick (by Ludonkey)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Jun 29, 2014.

1. DeNappa

DeNappa Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Netherlands
    Okay so I played the first two Chapters. Here's some random impressions.

I like the gameplay so far, and the game mechanicw are introduced incrementally in a good way. It picks up in pace quickly, my clumsy fingers have caused many a death to lava when I mis-timed placing of a crate over multi square gaps.

The art is cool.

The life/continue mechanics puzzles me somewhat. You can buy them in the (Zelda style! ;) ) shop with cost depending on max level reached. There's no limit to them except cash but you can always replay levels for more $$. It seems a bit pointless to grind an earlier easy level if you're running low. For example level 15 i think quickly nets you $90 each 10 second (or so) playthrough.

The 'hurry up' ghost is annoying, especially because when you first enter a level you'll be likely to hold the player in place for a bit while you check out what you are up against in the screen. It doesn't kill you off but drains all but 1 heart, which means buying max hearts all the time isn't a good idea.

I made some errors in a level requiring some of the cat special jump causing me to fall down. Then the cat power expired and I couldn't finish the level any more.

I defeated the second boss but I don't know how, I was holding the player in place in a safe spot while crunching my brains over how to get up there and defeat him, but suddenly he died and the level was finished.

2. chainsawash

chainsawash Member

Feb 12, 2010
    It looks like you just need to stand under the rocks to the left and right. He floats over to drop bombs at you and he will eventually hit he lavafall. Do this twice (I think) and he is defeated. Really easy boss to defeat once you know this, but I spent time trying to figure out how I could get up to him first!

This is a fun little game, although I'm already on the final chapter so it's pretty short. The life/heart system is odd like DeNappa said. You only have a little time to finish a level before the ghost shows up and drops you to one heart. Since my reflexes aren't what they used to be I just let him hit me and move on. I always just buy lives, never hearts, because of this.

I did laugh at what the level two boss says to you. I'm not sure if it was on purpose to make fun of the often 'interesting' translations found in video games or not. If so, clever! If not, awesome!

3. ludonkey

ludonkey Member

Jun 30, 2014
    => DeNappa, sorry if you succeed and you don't know how... it means I have to adjust this again... chainsawash is right, this is the right way :D I was looking for a way to defeat this boss without any weapon.

=> You're right, the game is a little bit short. But I worked on it for 1 year so I finally decide to release with only 60 levels (else I would have never released).

I tried to have 2 meanings for his dialog... I hope that's why you did laugh :D

4. Puke Aces

Puke Aces Well-Known Member

I'm having fun with this game and it took most of my free time away by surprise but I'm wondering what would happen if you were to run out of lives, hearts and coins...

5. ludonkey

ludonkey Member

Jun 30, 2014
    If you run out of lives & hearts, you just die :D and so:
    -> Your score is recorded into the Game Center Leaderboard (it's recorded too when you finish the game + a bonus for finishing it).
    -> You slot is reset to your last backup (fyi it's automatically backup each time you defeat a boss).

6. Puke Aces

#26 Puke Aces, Jul 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
    Thank god ._. I was scared of what would happen XD thanks for letting me know :D

Edit: oh god... You have to buy the backup first and then pay to save each time.... :( this just makes the game harder but I still love it :D

7. ludonkey

ludonkey Member

Jun 30, 2014
    When it's automatically backup after you defeat a boss it's done for free.
    If you want to backup when you want, you have to go into the shop and use your gold (it's very expensive :p)

Thank youuuuu and ask me if you have other questions :D

8. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Any chance of a Universal update, or wouldn't this work on a smaller screen?

9. ludonkey

ludonkey Member

Jun 30, 2014
    You guess right, the levels (as they are currently) wouldn't work on a smaller screen (the limit is 7'')... sorry :(

10. Puke Aces

Maybe you can create a zoomed in version with a camera following oz as he walks around for the iPhone :D

11. ludonkey

ludonkey Member

Jun 30, 2014
    I copy/paste my answer from another thread from another forum :D

12. Puke Aces

You should make a lite version so that people can try it before they buy it :D

13. ludonkey

ludonkey Member

Jun 30, 2014
    You mean add a free version (with for example the first chapter unlocked) and only one In-App Purchase available to unlock the full game ?

14. Puke Aces

15. ludonkey

ludonkey Member

Jun 30, 2014
    I added this task to my board :D
    But I have many many tasks with higher priority (like make some tests with an Android Tablet - Apportable library).

Someone asked to have a desktop (Mac/PC/Linux) version.
    => I'm seeing if it could be interesting or not.

My problem is Magick is MultiTouched... so maybe I should use the mouse to replace the finger.... and the keyboard to use the powers (and maybe to stop Oz and change his direction too).

What do you think ? :confused:

16. Puke Aces

Interesting. But try to add settings that allow the player to bind keys for actions like stoping oz by pressing z and x to toggle the bombs

17. ludonkey

ludonkey Member

Jun 30, 2014
    Good idea :D

18. Val889

Val889 Member

May 26, 2016
    How do you defeat the last boss?

19. ludonkey

ludonkey Member

Jun 30, 2014
    Hi :)

You have to reach the top of the level without being hit by the dragon (there is a gap at the top/middle of each screen).
    You can do it quickly or freeze the dragon to save time.
    When you are on top of the level, just touch the lever and voila !!!

Good luck,
    Eric.

20. Val889

Val889 Member

May 26, 2016
    #40 Val889, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    Thanks. Yeah I figured it out myself. oh yeah the dragon freezes as well!
    A fun game.