Rock Band iOS "No Longer Playable" After May 31st

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by The Bat Outta Hell, May 2, 2012.

1. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
  2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Wow this is new and exciting news thank you for bringing this to our attention!

3. The Bat Outta Hell

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    oops

well, the front page is for chumps

4. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

There's a front page?

5. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
  6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

#6 Eli, May 2, 2012
    Last edited: May 2, 2012
    I actually really want to know the genuine number of people this is having any kind of impact on. I mean, we're talking a game that's been out since October of 2009 that hasn't been updated since November of 2010. Are there really that many people still playing the original Rock Band? It's basically an abandoned game, and never even got updated with Retina graphics.

Are there really people out there who are still playing it with any regularity? It hasn't charted in any meaningful way for years.

I'm not saying it isn't shitty what EA is doing, because it most assuredly is... I'm just wondering if the people who are up and arms and calling Apple for refunds would've even cared if we hadn't brought this to everyone's attention.

7. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #7 Vovin, May 2, 2012

Difficult to say... on one hand, you can argue that you've paid money for it and you have the right to use it whenever you want. It's not like you paid for something like a rollercoaster ticket - a few rounds and finish. Imagine that Microsoft tells you that you can use Windows7 only for another few weeks and than no more.
    On the other hand - there's RockBand Reloaded and I guess just a few hardliners are still playing this. It would only be bitter for people who might have just bought it a few weeks ago. But that's unlikely.

In the end, you will have people on both sides.

8. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

If you read the EULA of basically any software, things are worded in a tricky way. Even though you might own the Windows discs, you don't technically own Windows. What you bought is the rights from Microsoft to use Windows. Nearly every EULA also has provisions for revoking those rights, no one ever does, because it's pretty shitty... But you'd be surprised the kind of things you're agreeing to by using nearly any piece of computer software and playing any video game.

I think that's the bigger issue here, but no one will ever care because it's just too easy to hit accept, ok, or whatever else the button says.

9. The Bat Outta Hell

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    #9 The Bat Outta Hell, May 2, 2012
    I've just never heard of an app that requires no online components to function revoke your rights to play it whenever they choose. I was aware that it was always possible, but never expected it to happen.

That and it's still available for purchase in the app store, with no warning in the description.

I bought it and whatever DLC it had a while back, but I'm really not too worried about not being able to play the app itself. I'm worried that this will become a regular thing and other will apps will be "disabled" in the future.

10. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

I was going to try to work up some kind of "Buyer Beware" article highlighting "we are taking our ball and going home" clauses in EULA's but nearly every game from a large company has them. Naturally, you'd think then the conclusion would be "Well only buy from indies," but then you're dependent on them paying their $99 a year to remain an iOS developer or all their apps/games go kaput too. Little different, I suppose, but I think people just eventually need to come to grips with the fact that in the world of digital distribution nothing is permanent and if you're buying things to archive for future generations you should probably stick to physical goods and things with absolutely no DRM of any kind.

*shrug* Realistically speaking this is probably just the result of EA's licensing for the music in Rock Band running out. Remember, iPhone games are still categorized under the same shitty category as J2ME cell phone games which puts them in this entirely weird alternate universe of licensing... Which is why Gameloft can get away with doing a NFL game when EA has that license on complete lockdown on consoles.

11. Johnny101

Johnny101 Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    #11 Johnny101, May 2, 2012
    I don't even own this game, so it doesn't effect me but there is a bigger issue here as already mentioned. What if other devs decide on pulling their game??

I'm not even talking about Online games. What if, in a couple years EA decides they don't want to support their iOS version of Dead space?? This game is so awesome. I can see myself picking this up in a couple of years for a random play. The same can be said for a few classic games like COD zombies, Modern combat 2, Nova, etc....

I really hope this doesn't become a trend because this could effect buying in the app market.

12. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

I definitely think that's going to happen. You have to consider the number of people who are into collecting these "classic" games are the absolute smallest minority. For upwards of... I'd go as far as 95%+, probably even higher, mobile games are highly disposable. I mean, multiple analytics providers have released reports over the years showing just how few times people typically launch the apps they buy and how that trails off to zero very quickly.

13. The Bat Outta Hell

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Seeing how Rock Band hasn't been updated since November 2010, does this mean a killswitch was already included for a while now? Unless they plan on updating it May 31st to make it unplayable.

Makes you wonder what other games have a killswitch ready.

14. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Don't have the iOS version of Rock Band, but do find it a little strange that a non-online game could be "shut down".

I can see the Eliminate situation where you have to run actual servers and as gameplay and sales dwindle to support it, well, then it goes away.

But how in the world did they code Rock Band to die on a certain day? Just has me curious more than anything as to why it suddenly will be rendered unplayable.

15. kujen

kujen Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2012
    Don't have the game but I think this is pretty rotten. If they want to shut down multiplayer servers fine, that happens...but if they are somehow preventing people from playing the single player that is messed up. I will still have Rock Band for Xbox, that I will be able to play years from now...they can't come and steal my game disc from me. But apparently it's ok to do that to iOS users? Ummm no! Just because it's old doesn't make that ok. Quite unethical if you ask me.

16. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    That basically did happen to those of us who bought COD Zombies II(The version where only a different map was available rather than the default for the regular version). Activision pulled that and it doesn't even function if I remember correctly.

17. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I just can't wrap my head around how Ea thinks this will benefit them as far as I know nobody else has ever used a kill switch on an offline game and Rock Band was one of the first games to start the whole multiple DLC thing.

Surely they just scared away future money.

18. The Bat Outta Hell

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
  19. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #19 Vovin, May 3, 2012
    Last edited: May 3, 2012

Well, I know the problem - especially with the EULAs - but I also assume that you know what I wanted to say.
    Heck, I still have my Windows95-CD! - Microsoft isn't supporting the system anymore, but I still could use it if I want to.

Don't underestimate - I am reading some EULAs now and then (and especially the Steam-EULA shocked me until today), but in the end, what can I do? "Eat or die" is it. If there are alternatives, ok. But when I really want to use an Apple product and sign the EULA, I also have to live with the consequences. If I want to play a Steam-exclusive game, I have to swallow the EULA, even if I don't agree with it.

I can't speak for other people, but personally I don't care about RockBand anymore. I had my 2-3 months of fun with it and let it rest in peace now. I don't think I will play it ever again.

Oh, and "kaput" is spelled with two "t"' - kaputt.
    I always wonder why it's often spelled with one "t" outside of Germany. ;)

20. Johnny101

Johnny101 Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    Good for EA,

I swear they must read these forums among, others. The power of the media, and writing in a public forum will really motivate Developers to make changes.

I believe our opinions definately made EA think twice about putting the Kill switch on this game. Our opinions do matter.