Combo Critters by Lucky Kat Studios

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Lucky Kat, Jan 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucky Kat

Lucky Kat Well-Known Member

#1 Lucky Kat, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  2. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    Looks super fun!

3. Lucky Kat

Thanks!

4. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
  5. Lucky Kat

awesome!

6. Lucky Kat

Update:

We’ve decided to change the gameplay pretty drastically. We missed the tension of being on the verge of defeat, desperately trying to survive.

So, now you will have to combine monsters and manage the battleground at the same time. It's a bit more challenging than taking your sweet time combining critters before deciding to move out.

[​IMG]

Quickly combine monsters on the grid and drag them to the battleground to defeat the approaching wave of enemies.

Want to beta test and help out make Combo Critters better?

Fill out this form: http://goo.gl/forms/qTo5kjTQa3

7. Lucky Kat

We’re still working on the game, here’s another gif to show some new features we’ve built since the last update.
    We’ve added a timer to egg hatching. Tapping on an egg will reduce hatch time. We’ve also added some subtle tweens and egg crack particles to make the egg tapping feel satisfying.

Creatures can now have special abilities. They’ll show you when they’re ready to use it with a radiating effect. Once you tap them, they’ll use their unique ability. Using abilities at the correct moments can turn the tide of the battle, or at least that’s what we’re planning. In this gif you can see a monster using a fireball ability. Very useful, because it allows the monster to deal ranged damage. :)

Want to beta test and help out make Combo Critters better? Fill out this form: http://goo.gl/forms/qTo5kjTQa3

[​IMG]

8. Patthegymnast

Patthegymnast Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Im in too looks very fun and cool!! I already filled out the google forums!!

9. Lucky Kat

You know when a banana attacks you, it'll look like this:

[​IMG]

10. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    So what are the IAP involved ?

11. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    When does the beta start

12. Lucky Kat

Buying virtual currency and maybe removing ads (not sure yet)

13. Lucky Kat

Sorry, we've been super busy revising the game. In fact, we threw out all our original ideas two weeks ago to start completely over (we noticed during playtests it wasn't perfect).

We'll post a quick update later tonight!

14. Lucky Kat

So, as we said earlier we've been super busy revising the game. Now it's time for another update!

Yet again we've changed a lot of stuff in Combo Critters. We decided to switch to a team based battle system, instead of a drag and drop army vs army battle. Now you can have up to 3 monsters in a team, you'll use this team to fight against other monsters. Once you defeat a monster, you'll get a chance to capture them, which you can see in the following gif:

[​IMG]

In this case, the capture failed and the monster runs away! Better luck next time. :)

Also, not visible in this gif is our combining feature. Once you've captured monsters, you can combine them to create new ones.
    We're also going to try and add exploration to the game. So the core game loop is going to be about battling, capturing, combining and a bit of exploration.

15. Lucky Kat

We're adding Mode7 to explore critters. What do you think?

[​IMG]

16. Lucky Kat

#16 Lucky Kat, Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  17. Lucky Kat

We’ve been working on lots of new features for the game. You can now explore planets and where you can find and defeat new critters.
    We’ve also added different types of critters. The standard water, fire, earth and air. You can guess how this would work, some types will be strong/weak against other types.

[​IMG]

Lastly, to make combat feel less repetitive we’ve incorporated small swipe challenges. Your critters can now become combo attack critters (yes, just like the title of the game:D)

[​IMG]

18. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    This game is awesome! Good change in direction, although it's kind of repetitive right now. I also stated that in my feedback form. I see you're adding a swipe mechanic, that's already helping for a more interesting gameplay! The mechanic of evolving 2 into a better one is great! Now some more features for the battles and exploring and I'm sold!

Good luck! ;)

19. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Can't remember how I got involved in this beta but I'm glad I got the invite! Fun game, very addictive in its simplified Pokemon/alchemy formula. I've only been playing a short while but I think this will be sucking up quite a bit of my time... XD

20. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Can I suggest adding a kind of 'dictionary' for the critters? It's hard to have a 'gotta catch em all' feeling if we don't know what ones we're missing. It'll work like a pokedex with black outlines for the ones we haven't discovered yet.
    The added option to view discovered alchemy combos to create a discovered critter can be an IAP, it seems reasonable to me.
    I think there just needs to be some sort of a record for the critters.