DON'T SINK – save cartoon submarines [line-drawing game]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by applicattura, Nov 3, 2015.

1. applicattura

applicattura Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2015
    #1 applicattura, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    Hello all,

It is a pleasure to start my first devlog among so many great game developers. During my free time I am trying to create a game based on my favourite mobile titles. I was always addicted to line-drawing games, harbor master, flight control or air control are my favourite ones. One day after beating my records in games listed above, I thought it would be great to create a game based on submarines. This is how DON'T SINK game idea started :)

DON'T SINK is a line drawing-game where you control submarines not to hit each other. The graphic is in a cartoon, caricatural style. One of the feature is that the submarine can be partly abovewater and completely underwater. This feature can be activated if a player tap a sprite double times. Underwater submarine can pass by abovewater submarine, you can see the main mechaninc in a short video. Please open it in a fullscreen with hd option, because of many small details like water background, small propeller and trail behind sprites, blurred underwater sprites etc.

„If you didn't read the whole post this is not a complete gameplay, it is just how submarines behave in water! The videos are recorded with iphone 4s so there may be fps drop”

During my last sickness I managed to make almost complete menu of the game. I think that the video is much better than the words so just check the youtube link. I am adding an icon as an update (09.11.2015) under menu

[​IMG]

I am still developing gameplay and level ideas, but I will post it with screens/videos soon. Like I mentioned I can make it only during my free time so the project will evolve slowly but it would be great to hear your opinion and get your support. I hope it would help my game to be thought by players as a good one. Thank you for visiting my thread.

[​IMG]

2. rsgapps

rsgapps Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2015
    WOW! This looks very good! Can't wait to play it.

Keep us updated about the progress.

3. supafly129

supafly129 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Los Angeles, CA
    Looks awesome! I LOVE the menu system on the home screen with the splashing effects and everything, and the art blends together really nicely. Excited to see more footage :)

4. _mean.13

_mean.13 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2014
    There it goes#

5. sortris

sortris Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2015
    Male
    Warsaw, Poland
    Really good job! I love every water effect. Love the menu especially. It seems to be a nice and relaxing game :)
    Did you think about background music to your game? Will it be calm, a little bit ambient or cheerful and fun?

6. applicattura

Sep 1, 2015
    Thanks for your nice words, really motivating :)!

The music is the last thing I will implement. Now I'm working on level layout and more types of submarines :)

7. sfjohansson

sfjohansson Well-Known Member

May 17, 2014
    Male
    Game Developer
    London
    That does look pretty neat.. I like it :) Really nice colour scheme and creative menu animations. Maybe there could a little more difference between the submerged/surfaced subs....I guess that is also apart of the difficulty..so tweaking that might ruin the fun... =O Looking forward to hear what music/sound you add.. :)

8. applicattura

Sep 1, 2015
    Thanks sfjohansson, I'm thinking about calm music but it's still a long way till I take care of music/sfx ;P

Guys in this update I would like to show you the crash between two submarines. Not only I made a cartoon crash animation, but also I added a light shockwave from both submarines. Please let me know what do you think. Cheers

9. applicattura

Sep 1, 2015
    Recently I have added a difference in trail effect. When the submarine is partly above water the trail is more "foamy" and when it's underwater the effect disappears. Everything can be checked in this video.

10. applicattura

Sep 1, 2015
    I think that now I'm uploading the most important thing in mobile gamedev. This will be ... an icon :D Hope you like it :) cheers
    [​IMG]

11. odenis studio

odenis studio Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2014
    #11 odenis studio, Nov 11, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
    Icons are sooooo importants. it's a good one. And your game has a great name. Truly genius. Want to see more now ;)

12. applicattura

Sep 1, 2015
    Thank you for your kind opinion :) I'm preparing lands and harbors now. Would be great to get more support and ideas from ta community :) cheers

13. rsgapps

rsgapps Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2015
    Masterpiece! :D

14. sortris

Mar 14, 2015
    Male
    Warsaw, Poland
    When can we expect a new update? I can't wait for the new info about your game. Why do you even sleep or eat? I want to play this now! :) :) :)

15. Zilk

Zilk Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 27, 2015
    Nice! I like the water effect, looks great! Would be cool with some fishes that swam by once in a while to liven it up a bit :)

16. Itatake

Itatake Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Game concepts
    Sweden, Göteborg
    This looks sweet Mike. Happy and easy to like style and effects :) How long to beta?

Regards
    Mattias

17. sortris

Mar 14, 2015
    Male
    Warsaw, Poland
    Connect to the question. How long to beta? How long to the next update? :) How many worlds/levels you plan to implement?

18. kripa1415`

kripa1415` Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2012
    Looks interesting!

19. applicattura

Sep 1, 2015
    I had a short break but I'm back again :) Thank you all for your kind words, it's really motivating. I'm making a really small update.

First of all I wasn't fully satisfied with my icon. It was too "pale" so I made some changes. Here is the result of it. It looks much better than the previous one, especially on my mobile (compare with many great games around my icon :) )

[​IMG]

Next thing is the first screen which appears after clicking the game icon. This is just the prototype, the "fluid" effect in generated with random directions/speed etc. Probably it will be a little bit faster, I wanted to show you the idea. After it the main menu will be played (you can check the video of game menu in my first post). I'm linking directly because of gif dimensions.

Soon I will show some more video with gameplay. Again thanks for your support. Cheers :)

20. sortris

Mar 14, 2015
    Male
    Warsaw, Poland
    I am impatient. When can we expect next update? Your game looks to good to give up!