Rejected by apple...

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by jDun1212, May 23, 2012.

1. jDun1212

jDun1212 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2012
    So I was just rejected by apple. Citing 11.8, pretty much I was attempting to charge for my users to unlock the multiplayer game mode that I created. I thought that it would be the same thing as charging the user to unlock the more levels or something, but appple viewed it as blocking the user from accessing game center...

Anyone had any experience with appeals? I'm trying to do so now, I'll keep you updated on how it goes.

2. Enlevel Studio

Enlevel Studio Well-Known Member

#2 Enlevel Studio, May 23, 2012
    Last edited: May 23, 2012
    I think Apple has a point here. They don't want you to advertise that the game has Game Center but then you have to pay to unlock game center features. Does your game have game center support for the non multiplayer part of your game?

3. antony.thai

antony.thai Well-Known Member

An Apple rejection is not always non-negotiable, you may need to explain them your point clearly so they may considering your app again.

4. AppRocketeer

AppRocketeer Active Member

May 16, 2012
    iOS App Marketers
    San Francisco, CA
    Why in the world would you block your users from multiplayer with a pay wall?

Your community of players is what will make or break your game, especially in a multiplayer game. You want as many users as is possible to be playing multiplayer as often as possible. If anybody has to wait longer than 15 seconds for a match, they move on. Nothing is worse than a multiplayer game with nobody to play with.

For goodness sake, lock everything else in the app, but don't lock multiplayer!

5. antony.thai

antony.thai Well-Known Member

I however don't really like multiplayer game on mobile that much since people will hard to find free time to play together. But a well multiplayer gameplay design that doesn't demand 2 players can be free at the same time is absolutely forcing me buying the game.

6. Eclectic

Eclectic Well-Known Member

Personally I am of the opinion that when Apple ask you to jump you should reply by asking "how high"?

Our whole business model and income depends upon their whim. They seem even handed and fair minded. Certainly they don't just throw their weight around.

We had a small issue with them once and resolved it in far less than half a working day.

7. LiamAtDevour

LiamAtDevour Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Co-founder/Programmer at Devour Games
    Brisbane, Australia.
    It's probably because you're attempting to make money off a free product that apple offers. It'd be like going to the beach, holding an umbrella over someone and asking them to pay you for sunlight.

8. jDun1212

jDun1212 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Ahhh well yes, at face value I am indeed trying to make money off a product that Apple gives away for free, but its slightly different than that I suppose.

The multiplayer that I designed is significantly different, from the rest of the game, it has large changes to the gameplay, so i was thinking that some people might not like to play against someone else, but might like to play by themselves, so I would charge .99 for multiplayer and .99 for the rest of the game.

Think Call of Duty multiplayer, and Call of Duty single player, each has a team of about 100+ working on it, and they are very very different. The only thing that i was using of apples was their match making ability.

9. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    QFT

Multiplayer is you best marketing tool. If you're running out of ideas for how to monetise, think again. If you only ship with a single "free" feature, it should be multiplayer.

10. lolzappan

lolzappan Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2012
    If you really want to stick to your original plan, try an appeal and make sure you provide them a good reason why it is necessary to keep it the way it is. If you can be convincing they might let you through.