Any news on quake?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Athlos, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Athlos

Athlos Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Ohio
    I see Id software released a new doom II rpg, but does anyone know if they plan on bringing quake 1, 2, or 3 to the itouch? Quake arena would be an awesome online game.

2. CaryMG

CaryMG Active Member

#2 CaryMG, Feb 9, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
    I'm glad someones asks this.

Absolutely Quake is coming to iOS.

In the TouchArcade podcast "TouchArcade InterView: John Carmack", JC says not only is Quake coming, but iD's gonna sequentially release all of their stuff for iOS -- Quake II/Quake III: Arena/DOOM 3 (in it's entirety) -- but a version of Rage is also coming ala the lite versions of Spore[/i] & The Sims 3 for iOS.
    He says the game's respective "iD Tech" graphicengines will be optimized to the Nth degree for iOS.

Regarding Q3A, JC says he isn't quite satisfied with the pingtime yet -- for multiplayer --
    but he hopes to overcome that in 2010.

And about JC, himself ....
    In the interview, he comes across as the most natural, down-to-earth, "Regular Guy"
    I have ever hear talk in the eGaming industry.
    He throws around techterms that'd make your head explode, but he does it in such a non-buzzword kinda way.
    It is literally a physical delight to listen to him talk about gametech.

:)

3. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    quake was released last august, go find it on the appstore. I'm playing it right now.

4. CaryMG

CaryMG Active Member

#4 CaryMG, Feb 9, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
    That Isn't Quake

Quake isn't in the AppStore.
    The interview with John Carmack was only 2 weeks ago.

I looked online.
    That Quake is a Cydia jaiibreak hack.

Wait for iD's AppStore Quake -- it's worth it.

:)

5. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    hehe, just messing with heads :)

6. Athlos

Athlos Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Ohio

That's awesome! I'm so glad to hear this, and DOOM 3??? That'd be sick! Although what does he mean the "N"th generation and that he plans to overcome pingtime? Does this mean it will only work on the next generation ipod touch? I sure hope not, cause I just forked out an extra $100 for the 3g not too long ago...