Nvidia Shield discussion thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by MicroByte, Jul 11, 2013.

1. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

I'be been following news about the Nvidia Shield and am really considering picking one up. It will be mostly used for Android games since PC streaming is out of the question for me and it would be great to play games with a physical controller. Size isn't an issue for me and this looks like a decent handheld to couple with my 3DS and Vita.

Anyone else interested I the Shield?

2. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I kinda am, though I wonder how worth it it is for just Android games. The Android game market isn't as good as the iOS one.

If only there was an Apple Shield, I'd be all over that shhhhiiiiii...*cough*

Though I guess if you combine emulators with the Shield, it becomes a lot more interesting.

3. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    I am also interested in buying one, maybe not for awhile though, pc streaming is extremely compelling though, a main reason I'd purchese it.

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    This device does look great. But what with Apple allowing external controllers i'm sure there'll be a huge load of these later this year (September time ?) once iOS 7 comes out

5. MicroByte

Oh many, an Apple version of the shield has been what I've wanted for the last few years. Touch screen games are great in some cases, but all of these shooters and platformers could be better with real controls. From what I've read, the controls on the Shield feel good which is good to hear. I picked up the Gameloft control pad and while it worked, it's not comfortable and not very accurate (analog) as well.

I'm waiting to see what comes out. If something does come around, I really hope that it's a quality product that is more function over form. I'm afraid we'll see a number of low quality controllers hit, but still, it would be great to get one. Too bad we can't just use the 360 controller like the Surface tabs do.

6. MicroByte

I finally decided to go ahead and pre-order my Shield. I've got Game Stop Credit and am really interested in a new handheld and this one might fit my needs. If nothing else, it will be a nice collectors item for me with my other handhelds.

If/when it's released, I'll be sure to post pictures and impressions here.

7. S.I.D. CrAzY

May 16, 2009
    Cool stuff, I might join you and order one as well.

Hopefully it's not delayed again.

8. MicroByte

That's great, it would be good if people were interested in it. I really expected more negativity in this thread and am happy that people are positive about the Shield.

9. S.I.D. CrAzY

May 16, 2009
    Have you considered either of these instead?:

http://www.jxd.hk/products.asp?id=627&selectclassid=009006

http://www.jxd.hk/products.asp?id=635&selectclassid=009006

Yes that second one looks like a Vita lol

They're a lot cheaper that the Shield and the first one has a bigger screen. Also not screen might be easier to use for games that use the touch screen, instead of having to reach over like with the Shield.

Then again the shield will probably have better controls and is more powerful, but it's also over 170(or more) dollars more than these options.

Just thought I'd share these as I keep going back and forth in my head between the Shield and the JXD S7300b.

10. MicroByte

#10 MicroByte, Jul 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
    Thanks so much for sharing these, I had not clue they existed!

The S7300b looks interesting, but the analog sticks remind me of the PSP analogue nub which I didn't really care for. Maybe it's more like the 3DS, but I'm not sure.

I think I'm going the Shield route rather than picking another one of these types of cheaper systems. The controls will make or break any system and based on what I've read, the Shield has good controls. Pair that with a beefy Tegra 4 and I think it will be worth the price difference.

Man I hope the N64 emulator runs decent on the Shield. I also hope Gameloft games work as well. MC4 with real controls would be great!

*edit*

Found this review of the s7300b. The N64 emulator looks like it works so well! I so hope it works as good if not better on the Shield:

http://obscurehandhelds.com/?p=1966

11. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    Interested at the beginning but not @349... And they dropped it to 299. Perhaps i will consider @150. I really want to have a tegra device and im happy that nvidia finally comes out with shield. The price is the only thing that hold me back. I really hope that nvidia reconsidered about their pricing. Im sure lots of people out there interested in this device.

Ps. Already own a vita but i still think shield will has its own space for me.

12. MicroByte

I didn't even pay attention @ 349, but now that it's 299, I'm in.

I'm like you, have a Vita as well as a 3DS, but I enjoy smartphone games as well. However, there are some games that really are not meant for touch. So many platformers, shooters and action games would all be better with actual controls, so that's where the Shield fits in for me.

If Apple puts out a decent controller and there is support for it, I'd get that as well. But all we have are rumors and the Shield is so close to coming out.

13. S.I.D. CrAzY

May 16, 2009
    Yeah, you're probably right. I'm just getting a bit antsy and feel like buying something nowww.

The controls definitely should be better, everybody that has tried out the controls at E3 had nice things to say about them. The Tegra 4 should make the N64 emu run even better.

14. MicroByte

I understand, I'm anxious as well.

Our of curiosity, have you seen this:

http://www.wikipad.com

I had seen this a while ago and it looks pretty good. It reminds me of a Wii U.

15. S.I.D. CrAzY

May 16, 2009
    Yeah I have, it isn't that much cheaper than the Shield though and only has a Tegra 3.

If I was going to go for a less powerful device I'd go with a JXD, at least I'd save some money there.

16. hansje

hansje New Member

Jul 11, 2012
    I'm really looking forward to the Shield purely for emulators!
    I hope the tegra4 will give good performence.

But since there were other devices named in this threath:
    have you heard about the Gamemid?
    It supposed to come out real soon and seems to be a lot better then the jxd s7300.
    Here is a review off the console wich last for an hour, but it gives an pretty good idea about the device.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1-Wu-pQc4iQ

I'm switching forward and back in my head between the Shield and the Gamemid...
    The Gamemid is at 169 dollars and has a bigger screen than the Shield.
    But I don't know if the Shield will perhaps play a lot more emulators like Ps2 or Dreamcast because it has a lot more power...

17. MicroByte

18. MicroByte

19. S.I.D. CrAzY

May 16, 2009
    That'd be pretty cool if true.

20. S.I.D. CrAzY

May 16, 2009
    #20 S.I.D. CrAzY, Jul 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
    So apparently they will start shipping out on July 31st.

http://www.androidcentral.com/nvidia-shield-now-shipping-july-31