Top Dungeon Crawlers Games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Twiddle, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Twiddle

Twiddle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    #1 Twiddle, Feb 10, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
    Hi guys, I recently played Sword of Fargoal for the iPhone, and I just LOVED it. I was just wondering what your favorite Dungeon Crawler games were, not just for the iPhone. I'm not talking about RPGs, I'm talking about Dungeon Crawlers. There's a difference. Diablo clones are good, too.

Here are a few I know of: (I'll list more as you guys tell me)
    Sword of Fargoal (best)
    Rogue Touch
    Diablo
    Torchlight
    SketchDungeon (nice)

I would possibly include Dungeon Hunter and Underworlds in there, but those two are a bit iffy.

Again, I'm not talking JUST about iPhone games, I'm talking about PC games, too. I recently played Torchlight and just couldn't get into it. Don't ask me why. I would prefer iPhone games, but I am also a big fan of retro games. If you can think of any for the Atari, NES, SNES, Dreamcast, or any other old-school system, tell me and I could probably pick up a ROM along with an emulator.

Thanks, guys.

2. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    You seem to have forgotten Necromancer Rising. That game is insane, and if you like dungeon-crawlers at all, I suggest picking it up.

And I'd consider Underworlds a dungeon crawler since over half the game, for me, was in the dungeon.

And if you don't mind waiting for a new PC game, Diablo 3 is on the way. That game is going to be insane... my friend is getting it and he has an insane computer, so I'm all set lol.

3. Twiddle

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    Necromancer Rising, huh? I'll try that out.

4. GordonFreeman

GordonFreeman Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    If you like SOF you may like Cavern too. I played both and I love them. Then you have Rogue Touch which I didn't finished yet but I like so far.

5. Santoron

Santoron Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    iNethack (or NetHack, depending on which port you like better)would be right up your alley. And they're free.

6. Twiddle

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    I tried that game, and although I like retro graphics, those graphics seem to be just a little too small.

7. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Thanks for the Rogue Touch nods of approval, and I agree that Sword of Fargoal is great too!

If you have a Nintendo DS I would *highly* recommend playing Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer. It is one of my top 10 DS games of all time, and if you like dungeon crawlers you can't miss it! There's a 3-D version just released yesterday (2/9/2010) for the Wii, but I have not picked it up yet. Must resist a bit longer...

And then there's my next game, from which I posted this teaser image in another thread recently:

[​IMG]

It'll be a while before this is done, so no holding your breath! :eek: Sorry I don't have any new photos to show yet. I've been digging back into code working on new dungeon generation algorithms for the various areas you will be able to go in the game. Plus my primary sprite artist is on vacation for a couple weeks :D

8. TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    College student, studying English/Japanese lit.
    #8 TheSporkWithin, Feb 10, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
    Nethack is one of the most expansive games in existence. It has so many features that there are entire websites devoted to documenting them. The only game I can think of which surpasses Nethack in terms of size and depth is Dwarf Fortress.

9. GordonFreeman

Jan 28, 2010
    This looks very good! Will be waiting for it.:)

10. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    #10 Jorlen, Feb 10, 2010
    Cavern? This completely fell off my radar.

Anyone here play it? Impressions?

Edit: Found the original posting in the games forum

11. GordonFreeman

Jan 28, 2010
    I played Cavern. I am fairly new to rogue game and my first one was SoF which I love. Then I played Cavern and let me tell you it is great. You have to go deep to the caverns just as SoF and retrieve something to the surface. Now, Cavern has a shop where you can buy weapons and stuff. You have the 3 classical characters to choose (fighter, adventurer and mystic). Cavern is a mix between SoF and a Rogue Touch, and both of them are excellent too. The dev is upgrading the game and is in contact.
    I had a fun time playing Cavern and I recommend it if you like roguelike games. Oh, and also what I like about cavern is that the levels are random and there are secret areas with goodies (and baddies too)

Just saw your edit :)

12. nonentity

nonentity Active Member

Mar 26, 2009
    #12 nonentity, Feb 10, 2010
  13. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

Interesting, appears to be an action game, sort of a dual stick remake of Gauntlet. Not that such a thing is bad, Gauntlet is a fantastic old game that I sunk way too many quarters into!

Catacombs is a very different animal than the dungeon crawlers the OP was looking for (which definitely slant towards roguelikes), but it will probably tickle the fancy of any dual stick shooter fans. If it ends up being anything like Gauntlet of the 1980s I'll give it a shot ;)

14. Madgarden

Madgarden Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Galactic Game Creation Overlord
    Kitchener, ON
    Cool, we should start a list of all the iPhone roguelikes... help people find more to play from the best genre in the App store. :D

CommanderData, can't wait to see your new roguelike, looks great. Perhaps it will be ready before the Sword of Fargoal update at the rate I'm going. ;)

Also Cavern sounds cool... I'll have to check it out!

15. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

Agreed that we need to group together... I will be contacting you soon with some of my ideas :)

Cavern is a neat new roguelike that is still evolving as we speak. I've played quite a few dives since the initial release, and am looking forward to the version 1.3 update soon.

Oh, and don't worry about taking a long time with the update. I probably hold the unofficial record for longest delay between planned updates with Rogue Touch!

Was going to submit a small update at one point, then shelved the idea until I could come up with more stuff to make it worthwhile... then I got 6+ months of contract work, and started the new game, and the iPad was announced! So basically I'm holding back until I can make a universal iPad/iPhone edition of Rogue Touch, which won't happen until almost a year after my last update. Time flies when you're working hard!!! :D

16. Twiddle

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    I'm considering picking up Cavern, but I would like a little more feedback, because there are only like 5 ratings in the App Store. Also this "Catacombs" looks amazing. CommanderData, I'll probably pick up your upcoming game if you could fit a guy character in the game.

I could really do with seeing gameplay videos for Cavern, Catacombs and possibly Necromancer Rising. Thanks guys.

17. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

I'm pretty flexible about much of my upcoming game, but I'm sorry to say making the main character a guy won't be in the cards... The storyline is written for her already, the portrait work is done, and the most important reason why not: That would be like turning Lara Croft, Faith, Samus or Bayonetta into a dude! Yuck! :p

18. Seishu

Seishu Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Student
    us of a
    A fun underrated game is Temple of Arkadoom. It's been out for quite awhile in the app store yet hasn't gotten much attention. It's in first person perspective and has randomly generated dungeons.

19. GordonFreeman

Jan 28, 2010
    Yes, I am playing Temple of Arkadoom now and I have to say is a nice surprise. It need some touches here and there but I love it so far.
    And CommanderData, I can't wait for the new roguelike game!

20. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

Thanks! I'll definitely be giving details in an upcoming games thread and sneak preview for TouchArcade as I get closer to releasing this beast to the world! :D