Apps flooding the app store

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by designxtek, Jul 9, 2009.

1. designxtek

designxtek Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2009
    3D Artist / Technical Artist / Web Developer
    San Diego, CA
    Anyone see a huge list of iMob Respect Apps go through the App Store? I just saw 6 of them go through. It pushed my Leaf Bound game towards the bottom of the release date.

Whats up with that? Apple should consolidate that type of release.

Any thoughts?

2. ZombieHero

ZombieHero Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Oh cool, that looks like a fun game, i havent seen it before, i like the backgrounds, looks like fun gameplay too!
    I seriously hate all those Live games Like mofia and vampires and pirates and racing and zombies and blah blah blah they are soooooo boring.
    They should get rid of the like 60 rep and 120 rep type of apps now i think. especialy since they can do in app purchase now, i def agree its just flooding the app store!
    LAME!:mad:

3. designxtek

Apr 30, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    I'm pretty sure apple doesn't care if they are making money off of it. One of them is $79.99. jezz.

But yeah it seems like they have a template design and are pushing out the same thing with slightly different number/design.

4. thevagrant

thevagrant Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    I think that submitting that number of new packs for ingame credit is just a cheap way of advertising their games. I just doesn't make any sense that apple still publish it in the newly release games since, indeed, they are not games !

Whatever fun one can have with those text based social rpgs, I really hate the way they twist the appstore's perception in the consumer's mind.

5. designxtek

Apr 30, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    They should filter it. If someone puts it is an adventure then Apple has to make sure it is an adventure category type of game! :mad:

6. OneEye

OneEye Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    The day Underworlds was released there were 32 "Slide Puzzle" apps released the same day. UW was way down the list.

It will end up being a bad business practice for both Apple and Developers in the long run, but for now Apple is content to make money from where ever they can.

7. designxtek

Apr 30, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    How is Underworlds doing now? Looks like it has been a couple of weeks sense your first release? Or was that just the 1.11 update?

8. Dio

Dio Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    I say you update your app with bug fixes or whatever. That way it bumps you back up to the top.. I think?

9. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    :mad: I can't figure out why people bother with those...

10. designxtek

Apr 30, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    We'll I'll eventually push a new update. I don't want to push a tiny update just to get back on the front page.

I think with the next update I'll have new items in my game that will make it more exciting. Right now its just our scoreboard that everyone is competing in.

11. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    How would you feel about Apple implementing a ban or block feature? I'm not sure how they'd manage it, but I think it could prove really useful for consumers who are really interested in discovering legit apps. I use the feature in AppSniper, and I've eliminated all of these "points" releases since most of them are pushed out by the same developers. Lately though, AppSniper hasn't been working so well... so having this option in the actual iTunes or mobile app store would be pretty nice.

12. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apple just needs to seriously sink some R&D time in to totally revamping the way the App Store works. With the attention to detail Apple puts in to its products, it makes no sense to me why the App Store (and the iTunes Music Store to some extent) doesn't function closer to Amazon.com instead of how it currently works, which is more similar to someone installing one of those janky free PHP shopping cart scripts and only configuring it half way.

You would be really hard pressed to find someone that disagrees. With the only good way to get exposure on the App Store being selling enough to get on the top 100 lists, winning the featured lottery, or be lucky enough to have your game's release date shuffled towards the top, the whole system is incredibly broken.

13. f e a r l e s s

f e a r l e s s Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Apple needs better filters.

Filter 1: great apps

Filter 2: good apps

Filter 3: crappy apps

Filter 4: we just want their $$$ apps

Considering it takes weeks to approve an app, why not have Apple rate them first on looks and functionality... You can't really trust user reviews...

14. ddn

ddn Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Programmer by day but at night also programmer.
    Look behind u!
    Proably becuase on any given day they have to release over 1000 apps and updates. To fairly rate each one would require them to increase their staff by 100x. Better to just improve the user moderated scheme they have in place right now and improve the app store for more targerted app views.

-ddn

15. OneEye

OneEye Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Yeah the 1.11 update came out around 3 weeks ago. We launched UW on 4/20ish of this year. We went as hight as the #10 game and #17 overall app in the 3rd or 4th week after release. We were the #1 rpg for 4-5 weeks.

Now we are sort of trudging along waiting for Apple to approve an update the fixes some control and 3.0 issues and busily adding content.

16. Luke

Luke Member

Jul 5, 2009
    I don't know about you guys but, I feel this is all a matter of opinion. I'm sure some people cant get enough of those games, I personally don't see the amusement but that is my opinion. I would hate to see the day when apple or anybody for that matter can block my applications based on an opinion that a certain type of game is not 'good enough'.

All of these games have an audience and therefore have a place in the app store. I do appreciate how much it sucks to have your app bumped down the new releases list because of six 'points' applications. I do not agree with dev companies that do this even with the new option of in-app purchases, however I do not believe limiting the app store is the best way to curb this kind of misuse.

17. Is it just me or do you notice that a lot of new apps being with the letters A or B? Is this so they appear at the top of the new lists or am I just being paranoid because mine begins with an X?

18. designxtek

Apr 30, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    I don't mind them releasing an app/game or whatever you call that of its genre but please don't flood the app store with all these different versions of it.

19. MikeSz_spokko

MikeSz_spokko Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    another problem is a ton of apps in completely wrong category, just noticed another example...

Hot Air Balloon - "This app is a collection of pictures and photographs" - submitted in... Action ! wtf ?

also a common thing in Action category are bikini babes, french maids, hospital nurses and other "games" like that

sybmit an app without any functionality and it will be rejected, that's understandable. but why does it not apply to categories ? what kind of action is there in "naughty french maid" ? why apple doesnt give a damn about chosen categories ?

20. designxtek

Apr 30, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    "naughty french maid"

lol I don't think the person downloading that game is going to get action from that.