retro-looking FPS game with RPG elements

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by originalcopy, Sep 20, 2009.

1. originalcopy

originalcopy Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Hello, like the title says, I have a game project currently in the making which is more or less that in a nutshell. I would like to know if you would pay for a game like that, and how much? This is a serious project, I'm pushing forward with it, btw.

2. fenrir911

fenrir911 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2009
    like system shock... I would pay alot of money if it was like system shock mixed with fallout 3.( the environment mixed with gameplay...)I would pay 10$ for that game.I like retro graphics too, as in like System shock 2s graphics.

3. originalcopy

Sep 10, 2009
    Ah, thank you for your reply! Well, those games you mention are amazing, specially the atmosphere of them. Im glad you said fallout 3 and not fallout 1 or 2 gameplay-wise. :p That amount of gameplay variety and complexity is just not in the scope of this game, at least not for now. This game is supposed to have RPG elements like NPC characters you can talk to, being able to communicate remotely with your ally NPCs, more or less like system shock 2. But visually, I was thinking more in the likes of System Shock 1, which is an amazing game too btw.

4. originalcopy

Sep 10, 2009
    Oh, your reply also brings me to another question. What about the setting of the game, it's not exactly post-apocalyptic like fallout, or scifi like system shock, there are no asteroids falling on earth and mutants roaming around. It's actually modern day based, with a few slight changes. It's not ghost recon either. ;)

5. fenrir911

May 30, 2009
    #5 fenrir911, Sep 20, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
    I honestly dont mind system shock 1s graphics, but im wondering by rpg elements do you also mean statistical upgrades and not just npcs. Post apocolyptic setting is probably my favorite... but it sounds like you might be going with district 9 type setting which is also cool xD.
    Also i hope it is a free roaming game... free roam just adds many many hours of replayability to a game.

6. originalcopy

Sep 10, 2009
    #6 originalcopy, Sep 20, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
    Well, by RPG elements i meant weapon upgrades, being able to communicate with friendly NPCs back and forth, sticking to your orders or going with your gut, and such. For replayability, I was planning on having the player choose from a number of levels to go to. Either of his choices will let him finish the game, but s/he may want to try the other levels after finishing the game.

Hmm, I dont know if the iphone has enough muscle for a free-roaming game, like fallout 3 or oblivion...

Hmm, yeah, District 9 sounds about right, in the sense that it's not typically what you expect from the genre. But there arent aliens here either. :D

7. fenrir911

May 30, 2009
    well look at ravensword, i think it has enough power, especially with system shock 1s graphics... yea im positive.

8. originalcopy

Sep 10, 2009
    This is something interesting, and call me stupid if you feel like, i kinda do. Well, one of the main aspects in this projects is finding the source of funds for it, to put in all the cool features you would like it to have, which take time and talent to make. Then, i remembered that Gabe Newell several months ago mentioned something about he would like to see community funded games.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/07/21/gabe-newell-suggests-public-funding-for-games/

Most of the response then was that it wasnt a good idea, that people would get in the way, and demand changes to their liking, and it was impossible for a 20 million dollar budgetted game to generate that amount on just community interest. I was thinking, would that idea work for a smaller scale game, like one for the iphone, for example? Just tossing Gabe's modified idea out there. ;)

9. originalcopy

Sep 10, 2009
    Im looking at it, wow, is that game out yet, it does look amazing. Almost worries me. :p

10. fenrir911

May 30, 2009
    its getting submitted oct. 15, but it lets me down cause theres no character customization, although i have suggested it, even teh ability to choose between male and female, no summoning abilities... Im still going to buy it, but i want a free roam game with guns...

11. originalcopy

Sep 10, 2009
    So basically you want fallout 3 then, right? Well, this game of mine was thought up not as a strict RPG, but as a FPS with rpg elements. Not completely linear, but it does follow a somewhat define route, but not on rails either.

12. fenrir911

May 30, 2009
    no what im saying is at least allow customization. He did not include the ability to choose between male or female, nor the ability to use magic in ravensword. Your game sounds good, and im not saying i want fallout 3,(although that would be cool) what im saying is i want a game with free roam, and character customization... and guns...

13. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    I hate retro games, so I definitely would not pay for a game like that.

14. originalcopy

Sep 10, 2009
    What would you say about using a special type of weapon towards the end of the game, which is altered to work differently from conventional weapons, like the super gravity gun at the end of hl2? Im planning on having something like that. I hadnt thought about character customization, since, well it's mostly 1st person view, and not 3rd person. Maybe a unique avatar in the heads up display that can be selected from a list of options at the beginning.

Hmm, what i meant retro was the look, but it would have visual enhancements. But thank you for your opinion.