Are we going to see black ops for iPhone ?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Trysis3, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Trysis3

Trysis3 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    A COD black ops sp game or even a zombie mode with mc2 controlls would be killer !
    Is there any news about that ?

2. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    I doubt it. Although iOS gaming has come a long way in recent years (or months), it still has some ways to go before it would be able to play a game as massive as Black Ops, or inspire a company like Activision to make a Black Ops mini version. But we do have Modern Combat 2. :) It's pretty awesome.

3. Trysis3

Trysis3 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    I didn't mean full game I ment something like mc but under the name of cod
    Or a completely new zombie game !

4. Christian_Bale

Christian_Bale Active Member

Dec 6, 2009
    There's gonna be a zombie mode in black ops so why not? If the game is as hugely popular as the first CoD zombies mode then they'll do an iPhone version.

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Not that it means much, but the Rumor Miner at PocketGamer says that there's already an iPhone version in the works, though it's not clear wether it's a handheld version of the full game, or just the zombie mode. Like anything from the Rumor Miner, it should be taken with a barrelful of salt. Considering how much money Activison has made out of CoD:Z in the App Store, I'm pretty sure something is coming.

6. rooteboy

rooteboy Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Student/Beta Tester
    Earth......for now
    there will most likely be a black ops: zombies app

7. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    Oh... You had too many abbreviations in your post (sp, mc2, etc) that confused me, so I just answered the question you used for the title. :D If Call of Duty: Zombies sold well (which I think it did), I think the chances of there being a Black Ops: Zombies game are very possible.

8. TNT_HEADSHOT

TNT_HEADSHOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    They could just port the DS game

9. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    No, enjoy Modern Combat though.

10. Iphonerox

Iphonerox Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    10 bucks says gameloft is going to make a game called "Modern Combat: White ops" within the next year, lol. But ya i really doubt treyarch is going to make any, these really big company's still doubt the idevices.

11. weehoo

weehoo Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    the stars

I think you're wrong. The big companies are taking i-devices seriously. Not only are they selling the $60 console version to hard-core fans, but they are cleaning up the rest of the would-be-buyers by making a mobile $10 version, which will bring sales from all gamers, including the not-so-fortunate, and cheap gamers.

PSYCHOLOGY AND MARKETING

Just keep in mind that Zombies was in the app-store the day it was announced. It was a nice surprise. Like Apple does with their products, Activision and Treyarch like to keep hush about any of their games on the iphone until it is actually ready for purchase. It creates a sense of urgency and surprise which results in compulsive spending.

12. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Well we have BFBC2 coming to the app store later this month. Hopefully if that does well then Activision might be more inclined to make Black Ops for the iDevice.

Who knows? Maybe they are working on it already? Remember how COD: Zombies came out of nowhere. They did a good job of keeping that a secret.

13. SSteven

SSteven Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Done

They were already making it for the NDS bs BTW how do I post formes?

14. Tashawn

Tashawn Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    If they do hope they change the controls similar to MC2.

15. Bubble Bobble, Sonic 4 (sorta), Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, Rayman 2, Street Fighter 4, Civilization Revolution, Mirror's Edge, Guitar Hero and friends say hey :) Correct me if I'm wrong, but those are/were console games made by big companies... (id Software, Activision, EA, Sega, Taito, 2K Games)

16. Shebby289

Shebby289 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    #16 Shebby289, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
    Sonic 4 is a prime example of Sega taking more interest in iOS games than they did initially with their crappy emulators. iirc the release of Sonic 4 was delayed on ALL platforms just so they could do more improvements for the iOS version. Console games being delayed for an iPhone game? Surely not! Chu chu rocket makes it 2 consecutive high quality releases from Sega.

Coming back on topic though, my gut tells me that we will see some form of COD on the AppStore, just that it will almost certainly be stripped down. A new zombie mode? deathmatch? Perhaps they could do a Resident Evil 4 and pull out a few chapters. These past month has seen the iOS platform picking up pace. It's exciting stuff for us gamers!

Edit: and I forgot to mention the upcoming Infinity Blade (formerly Project Sword), coming out later this year, which looks the most polished, graphics wise, iPhone game to date.

17. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    There is a rumor that we might, but it won't be built ground up for the iDevice. Nor will it even be optimized. It would be a straight port of the DS version and nothing more.

The only way that Activision could justify selling Black Ops on the iDevice for 9.99 or less would be to take a straight port of the DS verison. Activision hopes to recoup most of their investment by selling the DS version at full price. By porting it and selling it for 9.99, it will help them to suppliment what the earn from the DS version.

But Activison wouldn't put a ton of investment time and or money into a true iphone version of Black Ops and then sell it for 9.99.

18. Froggyboby

Froggyboby Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Missouri
    I hope they release the new zombie mode as an app as the original zombie app was very successful I don't think it's ever been out of the top 50 apps ever since its been released which is one of the few apps that have been that high for as long as it has been, especially at the $10 price tag + iap ( until the most recent update).