Universal Virtua Tennis Challenge (By Sega)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, May 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AppleFan12

AppleFan12 Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    USA
    I just saw from Nu Review, that there are No Female players. :(

2. VonWillebrand

VonWillebrand Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Europe
    Slowdowns happen on iPhone 4S as well. I've noticed them now that I've played more. No idea what causes it but incoming mail notifications are especially bad.

3. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Hving played VT on the Vita extensively, I'm a bit disappointed by this release.

Positives
    -VT on the iPhone... great Tennis quick-fix
    -Nice job translating the player animations and slow motion effects from the Vita
    -Visuals are good... Not bad, but not mediocre either... Just plain 'good'
    -Variety of Control Options

Negatives
    -Inconsistent frame rates... Hiccups... Stuttering. Those who haven't played the console versions in a while are probably the only ones who wouldn't notice these issues
    -Missing player licenses... just blah
    -Horrendous save system
    -Shallow gameplay modes... The Career mode from the PC/Console versions should have made it at least!
    -Camera angles should be more customizable. They seem more 'zoomed out' than on the Vita, definitely.

Overall happy to have the VT experience on my iPhone, even though close to 80% of the game is stripped away. Would have been happy to pay a 9.99 premium for a more fleshed-out release, but oh well...

4. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    There's something going on behind the scenes that's screwing performance up. I'm positive. Mail notifications, messages, heck... even unplugging a USB cable. Everything slows the game down. I'm guessing even a fluctuating signal will mess with it. It's like everything that's running in the background doesn't stop and there's no dedicated memory for the game to run.

Yes, I'm not tech-savy so I don't know what I'm saying, but you get my general point, yeah?

5. KiddToKmart

Feb 10, 2011
    Wish I could try this now but at work. Can you switch on Airplane mode, close all background apps and try it out? Let us know if it's any better...

6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Tried that out yesterday to no avail. :/ Heck, Game Center still connected in Airplane mode. >_> I don't know what's going on...

7. Evilkarma

Evilkarma Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Canada
    I don't know what everyone is complaining about. I couldn't resist and got it. Downloaded on iPad2 (I also have iPhone 4 but haven't bothered trying it there) and it works pretty well. Admittedly I can see some framerate issues in the menus but as far as gameplay goes, I haven't had any problems. Played the one point match challenge up to level 25, finished all 6 parts of training, and had an exhibition match so far, no hiccups. However, I wouldn't recommend it for i4 and iPad1, iPad2 seems to be the minimum requirement.

8. KiddToKmart

Feb 10, 2011
    With all due respect, you could just read my reply above. Several of us are experiencing these issues, which make them stand out all the more.

9. VonWillebrand

Oct 9, 2010
    Europe
    The issues may not be apparent at first but try playing a long tournament and I guarantee you'll start experiencing them.

I don't like the AI in this game. It's like the opponent (on high difficulty) knows beforehand where you are going to hit. It's just stupid that the AI player will move to the side where you are going to hit, instead of waiting in the middle. You'll see this when the AI player is at the net. Maybe it's the same on consoles...I've only played Top Spin 4 before so can't compare to other Virtua Tennis titles.

10. Evilkarma

Dec 20, 2011
    Canada
    I'm in the world tour. Just finished 3 tournaments and played 5 more exhibition matches. No issues. HOWEVER, online multiplayer is absolutely unplayable. On serve it lags so bad half the time it disconnects my game.

To those who are experiencing the issues, what device are you guys playing on? I have no doubt any phone will lag, but iPad2 for me seems to work fine (at least so far).

11. heffdog116

heffdog116 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    South Florida
    i want to buy this game so much.. but with the price point and negative reviews, i just cant

12. regkilla

regkilla Well-Known Member

Ignore the negative reviews. This game is awesome. Best tennis game ever! Smooth like butter gameplay and HD graphics. Must-buy!

13. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Ignore incredible-positive reviews like this! He doesn't know what he's talking about! :D

14. Evilkarma

Dec 20, 2011
    Canada
    Ok honestly. I still haven't had any hiccups yet. I've moved up to rank 9 in the world in world tour. Won 6 tournaments thus far which is like...22 matches I think? It really doesn't lag like people are saying. Multiplayer is indeed unplayable for now, and the menu selection looks like it lags in the animation (not that it affects gameplay whatsoever). However, I play 3 game 3 set matches. I imagine if people are playing 7 game 5 set matches it might have issues as the match goes on. But really, are you going to play 45 minute long matches? If you're not, and you're running iPad2/3, then buy it.

15. TomekSzymek

TomekSzymek Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Steering sucks... It doesnt see the difference between moving and swiping to choose the direction of our shot.

16. Grist

Grist Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2008
    VP of Marketing
    Massachusetts
    Best tennis game in the App Store

I've logged more than enough hours already to feel good about purchasing this game. As others on this forum have noted, the controls aren't perfect; occasionally when I use the flick control to hit a slice, my player hits a top spin, and drop shops aren't consistently registered when using the flick control. This hasn't detracted from the fun factor for me, although I can understand how some people might get obsessed with the occasional glitch in the swipe control. It hasn't caused me to lose any games, and I'm finding this version of VT to be just as immersive and enjoyable as the ones I have on my PS Vita and other systems. Initially I played this solely on "the new iPad", and was hesitant to try it on my iPhone 4S because of its smaller screen, but I was pleasantly surprised to discover that it's just as much fun on the iPhone. I think most people who buy this game will be won over by its amazing graphics and high fun factor. I've bought all of the tennis games in the App Store. This one is my favorite.

17. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Vote for your favorite GOTW !!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[size=+3]VIRTUA TENNIS CHALLENGE[/size]
    is one of the nominees for
    [size=+2]Touch Arcade Game of the Week
    23/05/2012
    [/size]

Do you like to unleash a super shot that will make your opponent sweat?

[size=+3][thread=136095]VOTE HERE[/thread][/size]
    poll will close on 05-31-2012 at 01:39 PM

- Devs cannot vote for their own games -​

18. regkilla

oh I know what I'm talking about. I can play it for long periods of time and still enjoy it.

19. regkilla

Change the controls to virtual pad

20. VonWillebrand

Oct 9, 2010
    Europe
    Is it possible to punish a drop shot? My player ALWAYS returns the ball to middle court, no matter how early I get to the ball. It's really irritating when playing against a difficult AI opponent. Somehow I can't place my volleys either. I should probably try the game pad control method.