MFi Controller, Seeking Game Recommendations

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by JohnnyDNGRSLY, Oct 30, 2016.

1. JohnnyDNGRSLY

JohnnyDNGRSLY Member

Oct 30, 2016
    Information Technology
    Sacramento, CA
    Long time, first time.

I've recently picked up a SteelSeries Nimbus for use on my iPad Pro 12.9 and my Apple TV 4, and I've been playing a lot of Real Racing 3 and Pixel Cup Soccer 16. Looking for some more game recommendations.

RACING
    Real Racing 3 is simply brilliant with a controller.
    I've also tried Horizon Chase.
    Shame F1 Race Stars crashes on launch these days.
    Speaking of F1, any intelligence on F1 2016's release and whether it will support MFi?

SPORTS
    FIFA 16 plays well with a controller, but it's a shame there's no true season or career mode, and I'm not into FUT.
    I'm a big baseball fan, but couldn't find anything that supports MFi.

ADVENTURE
    Downloaded, but haven't played, Oceanhorn and Never Alone.
    Currently playing LIMBO.
    CounterSpy is on my list.

SHOOTER
    Dorked around with Afterpulse.
    I prefer top-down twin stick shooters.

ARCADE
    No clue. Couldn't get PAC-MAN 256 to see my controller.

OTHER
    The Halo games came highly recommended, but I need to find some gameplay footage.

Any other recommendations?

2. Robbie1350

Robbie1350 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2014
    USA
    #2 Robbie1350, Oct 30, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    Look up the games yourself #

3. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    Ignore this guy.

What you should do is checkout afterpad.com. They have a very comprehensive list of both MFI compatible games and Apple TV games.

As for twinstick shooters with controller support I recommend: Xenowerk and space marshals 1 and 2 along with Silver Bullet and the recently released Vanquisher.

Geometry Wars 3 and Inferno 2 are really fun twinstick space shooters. Inferno 2's developer kind of specializes in twinstick shooters so definitely take a look at all of his games as well, but not all of them are MFI compatible unfortunately.

4. Admiralbison

Admiralbison Active Member

Oct 31, 2016
    I am pretty passionate about my physical controls yet game so much on my iPad 12.9.
    Go figure :\

However to make it easier get the either the 'Steel Series' or 'Gamevice' apps from the App Store because they list and update records in games with MFI support as well as descriptions.

How much are you willing to invest in controllers?

I also have the Steel Series Nimbus and it is widely accepted as a great, reliable Bluetooth controller and you made a good choice, and the steel series app pushes updates on the controller every now and then so you are good, HOWEVER I wish you posted this question earlier because as good as the Steel Series Nimbus is.. there is another controller that I believe sets the standards in a different way.

The GAMEVICE
    It differs from the Steel Series Nimbus by giving your iPad/iPhone that handheld feel.
    It attaches to the sides of iOS devices, has the texture, layout and buttons of the Xbox One control pad (if you like the XboxOne controller)
    Connects via Lightening so there is no lag
    Has pass through charging (the iPad Pro and I'm assuming the 12.9 have that) so you charge both the controller and your iPad

The 12.9 outght to available on their website any hour now (though it's already available on Amazon)

- it is more expensive AND you have to get the right Gamevice model to fit your iOS device, and again if you are ok with using the iPad as a screen sitting on the table with detached controllers you can't go wrong.

I have the Steel Series Nimbus, but there are times I like to game lying down, sitting in the office (during lunch breaks) with a good physical controller not separated from my iPad.

So I will have both.

5. Admiralbison

Admiralbison Active Member

Oct 31, 2016
    Oh sorry... I got so caught up talking controllers (I'm just so stoked to be getting my other controller for my I pad 12.9)

Here are the game I play with a control pad.

GTA Series
    Max Payne
    Sonic 1,2 and CD
    Riptide Renegade
    Double Dragon trilogy
    King of Fighters series
    Samurai Showdown 2
    Metal Slug series
    Dead Effect 1 and 2)
    Star Wars KOTOR (this requires no explanation)
    Jade Empire (also a game that requires no explanation)
    Space Marshalls 1 and 2
    Ocean Horn
    Implosion
    R-TYPE 1 and 2
    NBA 2K17
    Death Rally
    Xenomorph
    Assasin's Creed
    Munches Oddesey and Oddworld
    Limbo
    Eisenhorn
    Transistor
    Bastion
    halo Spartan asssault and strike
    Farenheight
    Death Rally
    Asphalt 8
    Rush Rally 2
    Crazy Taxi
    Galaxy on Fire 2 HD
    Dungeon Quest
    Dead Trigger 2 (dead Trigger 1 has some controller issues)
    Monster Hunter
    AG Drive
    Geometry wars.

The thing that is common among these games (other then MFI support) is they are all paid console, arcade or games with fairly high production values.

I have some games that don't have MFI support that are a shame they don't have it when they would fit naturally with them but my games library is 90% MFI+full console class games.
    The rest are exceptional or naturally run better with touch like magic the gathering, XCOM or Poker Night 2.

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    These may have been mentioned already... But these get my highest recommendations if you have an mfi controller:

MHFU
    Space Marshals
    Implosion
    Oceanhorn
    Final Fantasy 7
    Final Fantasy 9
    Transistor
    Wayward Souls
    Riptide
    Pako
    Xenowerk
    Star Horizon
    Geomatry Wars
    Inferno 2
    Goblin Sword
    LIMBO
    Miss Claire Garden
    Dust: An Elysian Tale
    Duck Tales

7. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    The games recommended are already posted so just sayin' that I've recently bought my first MFI (Nimbus) controller and it has met and exceeded all my expectations. Now I'm always on scout for their added support to games.