Top 'Premium' App Chart

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Reydn, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Reydn

Reydn Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    #1 Reydn, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
    Hey guys, I know there is a lot of debate about the whole IAP thing, but as a simple service to those of us looking for (and those developing) apps with no ads or IAP, it would be awesome if:

1. We could petition Apple to create a Top Premium App chart, showing only apps with no ads or IAP (not sure that this is likely to happen).

OR

2. Someone could develop a service that displays a chart in that fashion, only on an independent website. Is this feasible? (I'm not programming-savvy, and have no idea).

Thoughts?

Edit: The purpose of this idea is to accomplish what the 'Top Grossing' chart was supposed to - incentivize developers to make quality apps/games. I feel that a 'Premium' chart would help devs' hard work get noticed, and it would help those wanting to avoid IAP find truly premium games.

2. vii-Lucky

vii-Lucky Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2013
    I really don't think that apple will approve this.

3. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    An 3rd party app like AppShopper, maybe, but I also think it's unlikely for Apple to go with this. There aren't that many notable "premium" apps on the App Store to begin with.

4. javamex

javamex Well-Known Member

Difficulties

Among the apps that are free at the point of download, I'm not sure that there's terribly much mileage in a chart specifically for apps without IAP or ads: in reality, pretty much any app with enough resources behind it to make it to the top of the App Store charts will almost certainly have some monetisation or other.

From a technical point of view, there are also some difficulties. What do you define as "ads"? If you mean specifically Apple's iAd system, then it is easier to differentiate betweens apps that use them and apps that don't (or at least, apps with a registered intention to use them). For other ad systems like admob etc, things get a little tricker because there's nothing really in the registration of an app in the App Store that indicates whether it uses such schemes.

With IAP, you could (or at least, Apple could) technically differentiate between apps that are registered to use IAP and those that aren't. However, just because an app is registered to use IAP doesn't mean that it actually does at the moment (developers could be planning to phase IAP in a later release), and in any case, this information is liable to change from update to update.

5. Tannorexic

Tannorexic Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Student
    Somewhere in the spiritual realm
    Maybe make a collection on appzap. It could get featured.
    It's a start.

6. KevinZOMG

KevinZOMG Member

Apr 9, 2012
    Most premium games nowadays have IAP in them. I.e. Infinity Blade 1, 2, and 3.

I still would like some kind of list for games that aren't behind massive paywalls.

7. Isn't that kind of subjective though based on a persons gaming skillz?

8. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    IAP's and ads won't stop for mobile games. There is too much money to be made. Mobile games sell way more copies than consoles, the onslaught won't be ending anytime soon.. If ever.

9. ludka33

ludka33 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2013
    I think xcom proved otherwise, and as far as there not being many premium games that are best sellers, I think the OPs suggestion might help to make a change in that.

At the very least, we can complie a list here on the forums and repost it in other forums.