Multiplayer gaming news: great Kart out and major Chess Elite rebate both at $1 only

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Menneisyys, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    While, in general, I publish / post all the news pertaining to an already-reviewed game genre or application type (multiplayer games / radio apps / Web browsers / remote desktop controllers / instant messaging apps etc.), this time I’m dedicating a separate article to the current news as I consider it pretty important and urgent, particularly because the two major rebates will quickly end. Note that my main multiplayer gaming article / bible is HERE, listing and thoroughly(!) comparing all(!) multiplayer games ever released for the iPhone and iPod touch.

1.) The biggest news of these days is that Eurocenter has just released Cocoto Kart Online, a really decent online multiplayer kart racer title.

So far, the only Kart title to offer multiplayer was Krazy Kart Racers (US) by Konami Digital Entertainment, which many considered pretty lousy. Not so with the new title, it’s pretty nice – and the (introductory) price just can’t be beaten.

It runs great on my iPhone 3G S and, with (by default) disabled music OK on my 3G. On the latter, with enabled music, the animation becomes pretty stuttering; that is, you’ll want to keep the music disabled on the 3G.

[​IMG]

As with the games of Eurocenter in general, there’s no local (Wi-Fi / Bluetooth) play. (I hope they consider adding it some day – it’d help a lot in minimizing in-game lag and stuttering if you “only” want to play your mate next to you.) Fortunately, being a Eurocenter title also means there are quite a lot online players to choose from, should you not have a mate to play.

TouchArcade news item & comments HERE; dedicated thread HERE and the iTunes link HERE.

Highly recommended at the price!

2.) there is a huge rebate for Chess Elite for three days (that is, after Monday evening, US time), a chess client. It supports Push notifications for both challenging others and notifying them of new moves. In this regard, it’s pretty unique – unfortunately, still very few games support this kind of instant notifications. These worked just fine on my 3G S; on my 3G, for some reason, they didn’t. (It must have been a problem with my 3G.)

[​IMG]

Note that it uses its own chess server; that is, it’s not a FICS / ICC client. (If you do need FICS support, go for iChess by myMobileApps instead.) While this means way less players than on FICS / ICC, there are still quite a few ones online and, of course, you can elect to play your friends / buddies only. Particularly taken into account the Push capabilities, at the current price tag, it’s is quite a steal.

There’s a thread HERE on the rebate itself; iTunes link HERE.

3.) The 1.1 update to Alive 4-ever by Meridian has just hit AppStore. It offers all the goodies previously promised (see the UPDATE dated 09/24/2009 23:42 CET in my original iPhone/iPod Touch Multiplayer Gaming Bible):

[​IMG]

Note that I'll post a video of the three titles very soon. (Unfortunately, uploading 300...500 Mbyte AVCHD HD video files is pretty slow from home so it takes some time...)

2. Menneisyys

Dec 12, 2008
    UPDATE (10/03/2009 23.43 CET): as promised, I’ve added videos demonstrating the multiplayer mode of Cocoto Kart Online and Alive 4-ever. The links to the YouTube videos are in the also-updated chart (currently the rows discussing these two games are at the bottom of the chart).

Also note that I meant ‘until’ by ‘after’ in “there is a huge rebate for Chess Elite for three days (that is, after Monday evening, US time)” above, in the original article.

3. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    I cant find any reviews of ichess on this site, so if you have thoughts I'd love to hear them.

I have handychess, which is a decent FICS interface. While it lacks a lot of the features of desktop GUIs, including some that matter, my major beef with handychess is that its totally unreliable over 3g, and only safe to play via wi-fi. I understand the limits of the network, and delay is one thing, but it doesnt seem to be able to recover once you get a significant connection problem.

4. 99Games

99Games Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2009
    iOS Game Developer
    New Udupi, India
    Thanks a lot for the recommendation Menneisyys, Yea, at 99 cents Chess Elite is quite a steal. We're trying to intensify the challenge by bringing in more players. :)

5. CaseyLay

CaseyLay Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    I wish that A4E had online multiplayer.

6. Menneisyys

Dec 12, 2008