Universal Nimian Legends : BrightRidge HD (by Robert Kabwe)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by redribbon, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #721 Nullzone, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
    Take your time and cure your cold, man. Best wishes for your health!

Giska:
    She does look a lot better than the guy. I think it's the hair ;)

I don't know how far you want to stay in "awesome but impractical" territory.
    So here's some things from yours truly to change her appearance:
    - Get rid of the boobplate. #2 cardinal sin after chainmail bikinis ;) Noone builds real armor like a Wonderbra.
    - Hard to see in the video. But it looks like she wears some kind of thong and her butt is bare. Not a good idea when out in the wilderness. Give her breeches, a kilt, heck even a tunic.
    - The "Technopuscheln" (Bootcuffs? Fluffies? Like those https://youtu.be/U1lQ1iLC9N8?t=3m30s) are just too good, please keep them ;)
    - Personal opinion: Give her pointy ears. Would look good with the cool hair.

You should definitely offer the model with the double-head, too good and funny to pass up.

2. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #722 Nullzone, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
    You want to watch this : http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=257916
    Check out the video, some really nice stuff. The rock formations look great. And the lit-up treehuts at 1:30 are amazing.

As for Giska: http://www.karinskorner.de/images/larp/lederruestung-g.jpg
    Just an example what reasonable female fantasy armor can look like.
    Here's an armour alone: http://www.andracor.com/Larp-Lederruestungen/Larp-Frauenruestungen/Larp-Frauenruestung-Elbenfuerstin.html

Google "larp female armor/warrior/barbarian". You'll get a lot of skin, but also great stuff like this
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/920e4e10437813a16a3b9c6345ea65b8/tumblr_mre16iDjeV1scyrtto1_500.jpg
    http://www.mylarpcostume.com/2013/07/female-barbarian-warrior-costume-concept/

P.S. Thought for the day:
    We are all coming from the wrong direction. Gender equality! Furkinis for all! http://madartlab.com/files/2011/12/Dude-e1324147428339.png ( not for the faint of heart, beware. ) :p

3. Protopop

Protopop Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    She does look good. I'm using the Unity Asset store for most of my game elements so I don't have too much leeway to model them = she's from one of my favorite artists called Bitgem: http://shop.bitgem3d.com/

But I can alter the textures. I'd like to cover her up a bit - yes to the metal-bra part and the naked thighs (I love BitGem's work but it would fit the BrightRidge theme more). I'm also experimenting with creating my own characters using Mixamo's fuse. I actually wanted to remove the barbarian but since i didn't yet i decided to look for a model that would compliment him. And th character of Giska is from the early days of my game (she's a Niji slave who escaped in the aftermath of an asteroid strike that devastated much of the land).

I might still replace both characters with my own, that way i can have characters that are a bit more discreet, natural ranger types, resourceful over brawny/sexy. We'll see how it goes. The good news is that at least the new mecanim system is now in place, so its literally justa few minutes to swap in and out almost any rigged characters.

I love the pointy ears idea especially since she is Niji:

[​IMG]

That's something i could model into the character. But i think im going to try my own custom ones after the feedback, i should at least look into it.

Yea, the double headed thing could be an Ettin. Or perhaps they stumble upon one of the terraformer gene pits that are part of the Nimian mythology and fuse into one:)

4. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    Wow - what a wealth - thank you:) I didn't know what Larp was. I like the face tattoo on the second girl. It's now on my to do list.

That Genesis game looks beautiful. I'm not sure about the inclusivity of non-christian thing mentioned later in the thread. If that's true i still commend them for putting together something so ambitious, especially on mobile. I'm not particularly religious but if they would prefer Christian backers it's their right, and in context the 'Genesis' title makes more sense:)

That 'armor alone' looks really cool. It goes in a different direction than i imagined - more armor, less druid/ranger - but maybe that should be incoporated. You know, the best thing about getting your feedback is that it provides different points of view that let me see the game through a different lens - i think it makes it better and keeps the gears in my mind churning.

Yeah, taking care of my cold is essential. I already burnt out twice and now i am extra reasonable working on these games.

Furkini is great - reminds me of gay pride parade in Montreal:)

I also realy like the shields. You know, BrightRidge is going in a non violent direction but i really do enjoy some battle in game. You can already hunt/kill in BrightRidge because that's what's in real life, but it just isnt the focus. It would be nice to integrate some battle elements but keep the main thrust spiritual, keep the violence non gratuitous. Maybe there could be garrison raining or something.... I know that the final version of BrightRidge Quests will include the character of Ambassador Gish and a compliment of elite guards that come to BrightRidge to asses its resources and Ive been thinking that if there is a battle element it would be there. I think violence shouldn't give the idea that lives are disposable, like how if you lived life killing as many people as you do in the average video game session you'd be the worlds sickest killer in real life.

In addition to creating my own character using Mixamo fuse, they have an interesting selection of pre built characters here: https://www.mixamo.com/3d-characters

i kind of like these looks-they're all free to use because i signed up for the monthly package:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I'm going to take another look through.There's always the chance of seeing your characters in other games this way but Ive actually seen BrightRidge's barbarian in a few other games and the tree ent too - it is admittedly a bit jarring:) but until i can afford a custom character it is what it is.

...Update...

Ok between the last sentence and this one i created a custom character in fuse, uploaded it, rigged it and inserted it into the game as a test. here's a screenshot, so it is possible:

[​IMG]

I included a screenshot of what happens when you keep both female and male models visible:) She Hulk! Im glad i did this because i am learning Mixamo and i just learned how easy it is to create your own chracter. I might recreate both the male and female like this, maybe a character that is less 'sexy' but a mix of the two, like the barabarian girl hair with the new, less curvy female? whats nice is i can customize skin color, muscle, pointy ears etc so i am going to take a deep look at this (when i am not recovering from being sick munching triscuits:)

I'm going to think all this over - thanks for greasing the wheel:)

5. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    My pleasure, Proto :)
    Your new character looks damn creepy, especially in the bottomleft picture. I think it's the eyes.
    If you can find a place for her, you should put her in somewhere. With a blood-dripping knife and singing "come play with me" or "come out come out wherever you are" ...
    Might make for an interesting plot point too, if you have to actively avoid her, say in a scary game of hide and seek; instead of just doing the standard RPG solution of "kill em all, let the DM sort em out" :p

6. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    lol - you totally made me laugh:) She is f***ing creepy isn't she? yes with a discordant version of "come out come out" kind of like i the Avengers "Age of Ultron trailer where they have the creepy version of Pinocchio's "I have no strings ..."

I think ill keep the current Giska but alter her textures for more modesty. But it's good to know i can make the characters in Fuse and use them in the game with the new animation system.

I would need to spend more time really customizing the fuse character. I fond over the years that most 3d people programs like Poser seem to come with these pointy nosed creepy faces as the default.

What i am really waiting for as an Indie dev, and i am sure that it is just around the corner, is for mixamo open an "asset store" for their characters so we can buy new clothes, faces etc, like we can do now in Daz 3d.

Daz 3d is amazing for creating my characters in Nimian legends, but you cant use the models in a game except for limited circumstances, so a mixamo store that gave me the same customization options would be great. Thankfully in the world of the internet things seem to evolve on a month basis. 2 years ago i could not have made and distributed BrightRidge the same way.

A few Nimian citizens from Bresk, a bustling port city south of BrightRidge

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. pauldavidmerritt

pauldavidmerritt Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Male
    Ultrasound reporting systems
    East Rutherford NJ
    Patiently and anxiously awaiting new updates/development :)

8. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Just did a routine check if our dear Protopop is still alive and kicking.
    Gosh, he's been a busy fellow, check his Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/protopopgames

Still working on Brightridge, and several other games in the pipeline.
    Will send him an email later, and post when I get back anything interesting.

9. Infinity89

Infinity89 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2013
    When I saw a new post I thought he was announcing something. But I have been following on Facebook. A lot of stuff there.

10. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Sorry to disappoint you ;)
    I don't use Facebook, so for me all the stuff there was great news.

11. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Let me put this back on my watchlist...

12. jaysraptors_to

jaysraptors_to Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2014
  13. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

What's new? I'm really excited :)

14. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    Hi Everyone,

It's been a year since my last update! And I've been busy working on things.

I sat down in January to rethink how I was going to continue to make the kind of ambitious games i like to work on while working full time. I decides 2 things:

1. to focus on only 2 games - BrightRidge, my 3d open world game, and Nimian Legends Empires - a procedural RPG in HTML5 - so that i wouldn't spread myself too thin.
    2. to re-engineer my games so that i could create more in less time.

So this year i:

A: rebuilt my RPG NIMIAN LEGENDS EMPIRES to be semi procedural

i created the AdventureGen Engine 1.0 in JavaScript to create procedural adventure and the browser does the heavy lifting. It's helped me fill up half a continents worth of adventure in a micro second:) The quests, items and even dialogue are procedural. Citizens have values and spheres of interest and base their quests on that interaction. (im toying with the idea of bringing this procedural adventure telling into BrightRidge) and if you're interested you can play it here now (i launched it yesterday): http://nimianlegends.com

BTW if you've ever wondered WHERE BrightRidge is, you can see it on the map below:)

[​IMG]

B: Built and launched an IOS puzzle game Zymbols

to cleanse my palette and do something simpler, and not fantasy for a bit. It's called Zymbols and its here for free: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/zymbols/id986628436?mt=8

[​IMG]

C: Rebuilt Nimian Legends BrightRidge in Unity 5

It was made in Unity 4 and the update took a LOT more work than I thought. But now i have it running and almost ready. I just got it working on iPod Touch 6 today too. It is an HD update and I'll probably call it BrightRidge HD. It will only run on 64bit phones, but It's allowed me to:
    increase textures, add real-time lighting, and best of all real-time shadows. Now when you run through the forests the sunlight lightly dapples shadows across your player and it's pretty beautiful in motion. There is also effects like depth of field and you can now choose between male or female players. Ive rewritten a lot of the code to be more efficient, and in the options im giving users a LOT more options to control everything from resolution to shadow distance. This way you can choose frame-rate vs beauty - or if you have a newer device you can max it out and it runs great.

Nimian Legends BrightRidge HD on iPod Touch 6
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nimian Legends BrightRidge HD on iPad Air 2
    [​IMG]

The upgrade has really allowed me to play with light, as well as add more vegetation - like a new large-trucked forest on The Open Coast, and new creatures like the beetle-like giant Baedils. You will love walking through the forest tombstones as the sunsets:)

So i am moving all of my updates to this new version of the app. I would love to have made the update on the original BrightRidge. But a couple of issues prevented that. One is that you cannot update a 32bit/64bit hybrid app to be only 64bit. To do that you need to make a new binary and a new game URL. The other issue is that i just couldn't move forward on 512mb devices like iPod 5. I spent a LOT of time trying to make the original BrightRidge work on them, and it did - half the time. What followed was a lot of understandable 1 star reviews from crashing;) So now i have more freedom and processing power to focus on these new devices.

Now that Ive launched Nimian Legends Empires yesterday i am focusing on this BrightRidge update. Realistically it will take 4 - 6 weeks, and i am aiming a for an early December submission to Apple. Making games alone (or even in groups) can be very stressful, so a lot of this means making sure i get the rest i need so i can create more of the worlds i enjoy sharing. I'm excited to set it free and hope you will all enjoy running through the newly updated version as soon as its ready.

And Im really encouraged to see some new posts here. I haven't checked in in a while i admit, and seeing these posts makes me feel like someone cares - which for a game developer, or anyone for that matter, is a really good feeling:)

[​IMG]

15. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    Thanks Paul:) I just posted an update above.

16. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    I'm glad you checked in on my updates:)

Im trying to consolidate how i post stuff. Right now there are so many places so its easiest to just update Facebook, but i have a richer more complete experience when Im posting in more places. Ive been busy launching two other games (see above) and am now focused on a new version of BrightRidge.

17. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    I like hearing that! :)

18. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    jaysraptors_to! I hope youve been good. It's nice to see you here:)

I just posted some news about BrightRidge above. Basically I have finished a few other projects, and am back to finishing the new Unity 5 version of BrightRidge. It will run on 64bit IOS devices and includes quite a few new things.

19. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Re: Brightridge update

Nice to have you back, Protopop! ;)
    You've been one busy fellow over the last year...
    The new Brightridge screenshots are gorgeous as always, really looking forward to playing the new version.
    Will also give Nimian Legends Empires a serious twirl. I always wanted to dig deeper into it, but never had the time to do so.

20. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    Thanks Nullzone - it's always great to hear your encouragement. Nimian Legends Empires is there whenever you want to explore more of the world BrightRidge exists in:) It's designed to be able to do 5 minute bites, and it automatically saves everything, so you can close teh webpage anytime and it will just continue where you left off.

Id really like to bring some of the procedural adventure design into BrightRidge too - i think there is some good oportunity to mix procedural and emergent gameplay in BrightRidge to give a player more to do without having to add in explicit quests. Anyways im looking into it.

I also just got into the Unity AplleTV beta and am planning to release BrightRidge on Apple TV. I wonder if Touch Arcade will be reviewing AppleTV Games too?