iCade button customisation.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Squid123, Sep 12, 2011.

1. mremulator

mremulator Active Member

Dec 23, 2011
    Thanks, already seen this. However, res is way too low. They basically want you to cough up for their prints... which is fair enough.

2. mr ed209

mr ed209 Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    #82 mr ed209, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
    Hi guys,

I have all the parts I need but I can't get into the case! I've removed 14 tiny screws from the bottom of the iCade but the unit is sealed with two Torx Security screws. I hadn't seen any mention of these so far and my TOrx screwdrivers won't work because of the security pin in the centre of the screwhead.

I'll try and grab a new set of Security Torx screwdrivers from Maplins this week but how did anyone get these out without specific Security Torx screwdrivers? Or did everyone already have a set?

3. ravensong

ravensong Member

Jan 23, 2012
    My unit had no torx security screws. Autozone has a cheapy set of driver bits with every size torx security bit (and like 50 other size bits) for under 10 dollars. The quality is horrible, but at that price they are pretty disposable.

4. mr ed209

Apr 13, 2009
    I'm in the UK so no Autozone for me ;)

I've found a set of heads that include some Torx security heads in a UK store called Maplins, will head down with a TOrx screwdriver that's the right size to see if they'll do...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/33-piece-security-bit-set-11520

5. ge0c31t

ge0c31t Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Hi guys im a bit off topic but i figured if anyone could help me you guys could :)
    Im on my second icade unit here (first one sent back) and im having the same issues again.
    When you put batteries into unit is the coin slot meant to light up?
    I have tried ac adaptors as well and still im getting nothing.
    Cant pair up, not even sure if its getting power.
    Im kinda losing the faith a little, but i would love to get this sucker going!
    Any advice appreciated ;)

6. ravensong

ravensong Member

Jan 23, 2012
    You have to just wiggle the joystick to activate the bluetooth, then you should be able to pair.

7. mremulator

mremulator Active Member

Dec 23, 2011
  8. mr ed209

Apr 13, 2009
    Success! Finally got it open. Those Torx screws are going in the bin, though... ;)

9. mr ed209

Apr 13, 2009
    In the lid it says you hold down the bottom row and the top white button to pair. But yeah the coin slot light usually comes on whenever you move the stick or push a button. Can't remember if it comes on before it's been paired with anything though; don't know why it wouldn't.

Try to pair as per instructions printed under the lid and see if that works?

10. mr ed209

Apr 13, 2009
    #90 mr ed209, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
    I'm going the lustre terminal route for joining the iCade's wires to the Sanwa 5-wire cable. However, each direction from the iCade has it's own black wire, meaning I have 8 wires from the iCade that need to meet 5 wires going into the joystick's PCB.

Does it matter which of the 4 black wires from the iCade I connect to the 5-cable loom?

11. DataBasic

DataBasic Member

Jan 27, 2012
    I just stripped back the plastic coating a little way from all 4 black cables and wrapped the wires all together to form one.

12. Cactusfriend

Cactusfriend Member

Jan 12, 2012
    I only used one of the four wires - if you have a Sanwa joystick that uses a circuit board, the ground is connected to all of them that way, so one is all you need.

13. mr ed209

Apr 13, 2009
    #93 mr ed209, Jan 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
    Allow me to preface my reply by saying I am a complete novice with electronics. :)

I have the Sanwa JLF-TP-8Y, but I was thinking, surely the flow of info along the wires is from the joystick to the iCade, not the other way around? So, the joystick may well be creating a ground signal for each direction and sending it along one wire, but doesnt that wire need to feed those ground signals to the four black wires that connect to the iCades own circuit board?

To be completely honest I don't really understand what the ground signal does anyway, but to me it doesn't make sense that only one of the iCades four black wires need to be connected to the one that comes out the Sanwa.

Any explanation appreciated :)

14. DataBasic

DataBasic Member

Jan 27, 2012
    #94 DataBasic, Jan 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
    As we cant be certain what the icade circuitry board needs, and even though it might work with only 1 connected, it might still be safer to twist them all together. But i'm not an electrician so i'll leave it up to someone else to explain whether it matters one way or the other.

15. Nudgenudge

Nudgenudge Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    #95 Nudgenudge, Jan 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
    Well, time for a bit of electronics :D

Basically, the button or each switch in the stick is a... well, switch. :D

Ground is, well, the ground: it has 0V, it's why this works (it's been a while, but basically, 3V DC cable by itself = no current flow, 3V vs. GND (0V), there is a difference, current flow).

Joining all ground cables is useless, as you're attaching 0V with other 0V. Actually, if the ground is not totally 0V, you're adding those values and reducing the difference.
    On the stick PCB, the ground is one copper track, so all its switches have the same ground value.

That's why one black cable is enough.

edit: and controllers/peripherals never have ground by themselves, except when battery-powered. And they just use the minus part of the battery.
    Even your iPhone/iPad uses the computer's ground while it is charging (the 30-pin connector has a GND pin).

16. mremulator

mremulator Active Member

Dec 23, 2011
    #96 mremulator, Jan 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
    Carpentry part of full MAME conversion is almost done. Monitor bezel & marquee done. Back & base done. Just gotta do the following to the new speaker shelf (between monitor bezel & marquee) when the speakers (x2) arrive tomorrow. Basically, going to drill two holes in the shelf, cut in half, paint & join back together again around the speakers.

[​IMG]

Then get some new vinyl cut (existing is ruined), fit monitor, PC and other bits n' pieces. :)

17. ravensong

ravensong Member

Jan 23, 2012
    Paradise Arcade shop

Has anyone here dealt with this outlet?

I ordered parts from them last Monday and still have not received my order or even a shipping notice. Email Friday and phone call Saturday have not been returned. Everything I ordered was listed as being in stock, so I'm kinda wondering what the holdup might be.

18. Cactusfriend

Cactusfriend Member

Jan 12, 2012
    I ordered from Paradise, and while I do not remember the exact dates, communication was great and I received everything I ordered, well-packed, with some chocolate macadamia nuts as a bonus!

As for the ground wire thing, yep - imagine all four switches' ground terminal connecting to the same metal 'plane' on the joystick's (as well as the bluetooth controller's) circuit board. Connecting each black wire, in that case, would actually be redundant (like shaking someone's hand, foot, head, and ... belly instead of shaking their hand when you meet them).

I was thinking of adding some stereo speakers to the iCade, too ... but really have no clue if I ever will since they'd require power and all that. Hmm...

19. MJFox

MJFox Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Vienna, Austria
    #99 MJFox, Feb 3, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
    Hi!

Just finished my iCade-mod and wanted to share it with you guys.

I added buttons to the left and right side of the iCade, perfect for pinball-games. I added two on each side, so I can also play the various pinball-mini-games with the side-buttons. :D

Here's a video of my girlfriend playing Zen Pinball: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCb-1qS2RM8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I attached two pictures to the post. Let me know what you think. :)

Attached Files:

20. ravensong

ravensong Member

Jan 23, 2012
    Thanks.

The lack of communication was what I had a problem with. He finally emailed me on Monday and shipped Thursday. Hoping stuff arrives Monday. Jealous of all you guys with your upgraded machines.