Universal Lords of Waterdeep - (by Playdek, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Nov 20, 2013.

1. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    Edit question answered

2. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

5 gold. It's ridiculous why it's nowhere in the book. I had to find a post in some random forum explaining the new symbols, and have used it in practice.

**blast! Well, I'll leave this here anyway in case there are other questions about the new crescent gold symbol.

3. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    #243 nkarafo, May 24, 2014
    Last edited: May 24, 2014
  4. CaptLudd

CaptLudd Well-Known Member

May 1, 2013
    So this is an easy worker placement game, eh? Bought this early and got crushed and found out that the game had a feature that the AI ganged up on the human player so put it away until the patch came out, which was quitw some time ago. Unfortunately still can not seem to figure this game out. Started playing again and after 10 games against a single Ai am 0-10. The AI BLOCKS EVERYTHING that i need, never goes to the buildings i put up, gives me 2 or 3 MQ every game. And how the hell do you get 6 or more gold cubes to finis a mission when 1 person can only get 2 cubes per round. I read that a 20 or 25 point mission only takes 2.5 rounds to complete, how is that? Would it help if i added more AI players so they fight amongst themselves or will they just gang up on me? Are there any strategy guides out there other than the beginner suggestiond of build early, get missiond midgame and finish them in the last several rounds, because i get that but never get close. Usually i finish with 130 or so and the AI with 170 or so. Any pointers to guides or tips appreciated. Obviously you will not see me online since the usual rule is if you can not beat the hardest AI there is no point in trying to play a human. Thanks in advance for any replies...

5. nkarafo

Mar 2, 2011
  6. CaptLudd

May 1, 2013
    Thanks! Actually i am getting closer with the spread down to 15-20 points and i am going to try some 3 and 4 player games to see how that goes. I was really frustrated with both the game and life in general when i vented the other day, i like games that are a challenge to win regardless if i am playing on easy or insane or whatever. EAsy wins are boring. I am sure that i will pick this game up as i have many other challenging games in the past. I am still only winning pandemic 45% and haven't givwn up on it either! Really appreciate the support i will check out the forbiddenlimb primer quickly.

7. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
  8. nkarafo

Mar 2, 2011
    You are welcome!

Hey, the new expansion just came out !!!!!

I'm downloading it now (553mb) and I don't know if you have to pay or not.

9. CaptLudd

May 1, 2013
    I am pretty sure it is 2.99US, an instabuy for me, AND I STILL HAVEN'T WON A GAME,!!! But obviously enjoying the hell out of it snyways :)))

10. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    This corruption mechanic is pretty clever.

In a nut shell, corruption is BAD, signifying a major point penalty at the end of the game. While there may be some ways you can send some corruption bits to your opponents, it would seem the majority will be taken on voluntarily to get some extra meeples or as a side effect from completing some otherwise lucrative quests.

There are at least a few means via Intrigue cards, buildings, and quest rewards to reduce it, but it is far easier to get than remove.

One of the cleverer aspects is how the penalty you get at the end of the game is NOT just based on your personal corruption level, but how corrupt Waterdeep has become as a whole. Basically every token of corruption becomes a bigger penalty the more tokens are distributed amongst your fellow players.

11. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

Sounds good. Bought the add-on but not in the mood to start a game today... It's added another section to the board? Can it be played together (optionally) with the first expansion?

12. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Yes, and yes. Playing with both expansions sets the game to "long game" mode, and removes a random collection of 25 intrigue cards, 30 quest cards, and 12 building tiles from the base game.

13. mid83

mid83 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2014
    How is the tutorial for a total board game newbie? I would love to start learning board games and this one sounds pretty fun. Also how is it on iPhone? I'd love to be able to play on the go, but I have an ipad 2 if the iPhone version isn't up to par.

14. nkarafo

Mar 2, 2011
    It is good but as a newbie myself I learned from some various youtube videos explaining the basics. Trust me, it's very very easy. To understand how easy it is, let me tell you that in your turn, you can do only two things, one: place a worker, two: complete a quest.
    But the difference is where to place a worker so that you can have the most benefit of your turn or the game in general.
    It's not like other games where you have so many rules and it's chaotic. It's simple but not for kids.
    In iPhone 4 that I had it, it was slow. I couldn't play it properly. Maybe it was due to ios 7 but in iphone 5s is very good due to the bigger screen and it's very smooth. I believe that in all the iphone 5 is all right but I cannot be sure. It's not frustrating either because the game is recommended for vertical position like the board itself = aka the iphone in normal position but you may need to do some times a zoom in / out but then again you don't have to.
    It's recommended for iphone & ipad and I'm glad that playdek shows support to IOS in general :) Neither Bang! is on android as well. One reason too for not having an android device :D

15. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    #255 Artfoundry, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
    Anyone else seeing a message saying there's an update when trying to play online? The App Store shows no update, and I can't play online because of this message. Is an update really coming or did something get messed up on my device?

[update] nevermind, just got the App Store update notification.

16. chronos77b

chronos77b Active Member

Dec 14, 2013
    The update is live in Australia - fixing a few different bugs and allowing Poison Quill to work with Study in the Librarium.

17. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Bump for both the current sale price and that the IAP expansions are also on sale for just a buck each!

I usually do not have the patience for deeper strategy games, but I found it really easy to get started with Waterdeep. The tutorials do a good job of transitioning a new user, but it will be a long time until I master this game. I really love it.

18. Domisan

Domisan Active Member

Aug 27, 2014
    The quality of this Game is incredible, this Game is simply fantastic! Also i really Love the Multiplayer:)

Are People here playing it?

19. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Anyone know if Playdek has committed to updating this one so it doesn't get the iOS compatibility warning?

20. turbohat

turbohat Member

Jun 19, 2012
    I've tried contacting them via email and twitter. No replies. Website has gone dark. Looks like bad news