Your opinions on what I should code next?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by blitter, Jun 1, 2011.

1. blitter

blitter Well-Known Member

Hi guys

I submitted the 1.2 update a couple of days ago. What do you think? Should I promote this or move on and make a game?

http://youtu.be/tnh2YWwVPzo

2. mochibits

mochibits Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Why not promote it and also move on to the next game? Maybe use one of those FREE free-app-of-the-day services to get some downloads.

3. blitter

The first time around I found the whole promotion period to be frustrating, the 2 reviews which did appear were thanks to people approaching me. Other efforts didn't go anywhere and it took just as much effort as developing the app...actually the coding was far more relaxing for me!

The free app for a day might be the way to go, do they promote for us? The update is almost here...I shall see how it's received for a week and then be looking for help from one of them perhaps. Thanks.

4. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    do not go with one with FAAD or any other paying services unless you have a strong freemium titles that works either with IAP and/or ADS.. anything else is wasted money..

they don't promot you in any special way than to list you on their service
    and asking around 1000$ in advance and a share of the revenue for limited time afterwards (with some conditions)

for your sand game thats pointless...

do you next project and when the time is right and the project is near its release you can use your previous app and set it up for free and brand it with promo stuff for your next big thing.. etc..

but just going free for the sake of going free, or the hope to gain more attraction through it.. usualy does not work out.. especialy for an niche app like your sand app.

5. blitter

#5 blitter, Jun 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
    Thanks for the thoughts, it really has helped with making a plan.

I'm not a fan of ads, except as you say mr.Ugly, cross-promotion. There's not enough sand owners to promote the next big thing. So I'm confident again to make a free game to promote the sand. It's a shame about the FAAD situation, I was thinking it might help with chart position but I guess free sales don't effect the position on return to being a paid app.

As for current promotion...I guess I'll work through "the list" spamming promo codes to what sure is a niche area, though I need a working method of checking which ones get taken.

6. blitter

Iap

Reading back through I didn't consider IAP. I'm wondering if those interested in such apps as ours would be interested in buying say...a shovel! Then again with all the patent baloney going on maybe I'll save that for a free update when the game needs the cross-promo...