Investors Required

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by LostLegend, Jun 2, 2010.

1. #1 LostLegend, Jun 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
    Good evening all toucharcade members. Myself and Aussie2 are pitching a game idea that is innovative, powerful and will grasp the gaming market by the throat, but we are looking for just around £100,000 /£50,000 ($100,000 ish) to be able to develop the game which may require multiple investors. This money will go toward artists and musicians and programmers, etc.

(SNIP)

However, if you are interested in investing or wish to inquire further about the game or its idea, please send a message to LostLegend or Aussie2.

Thank you for reading and if you are an investor, I hope you consider investing in a highly likely to be profitable idea.

2. AssyriaGameStudio

AssyriaGameStudio Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Ok well I personally invest quite heavily in various companies, and I just want to give my 2c...

Some of the largest games publishers in the world have stated that if an App costs in excess of £25k then theres little to no chance of it recouping its costs...

So if I'm honest £200k for an App is insanely expensive and based on approximate revenue amounts for the top 10 apps (£6k / $10k a day) it would need to be in the top 10 for over a month to just recover it's cost...

This might be more viable if there is a strong licence attributed to the game (a blockbuster movie licence) which could help it get the exposure, but as just an app idea I'd really consider trying to drastically lower the cost of developing the application...

If you approach any developer with an idea they will all "Approve it" if your going to pay them well for developing the application. if it was a truely great idea then they would be doing it on a rev-share basis so they could get a slice of the pie... Obviously I don't know what the idea is but if you have a lot of faith in the idea then re-approach them and ask if there is the potential to do it in a part rev-share deal, whereby they get X Percent, and potentially a small fee (£20k tops), then potentially look for smaller investment to cover the fee if needed...

3. Silver Josh

Silver Josh Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    2 facts:

- £200,000 is an insane amount of money.
    - "Apalon's fame" is close to 0 (zero).

Enough said.

4. Thank you for your imput. However, I would like to add that upon asking many other ipod app companies (Firemint etc) they said thry could not make the app for legal reasons or they did not make requests or things along those lines.
    Also, Apalon said they do not do rev-shares. This means they either get the money or nothing basically.

What lower amount to approach thrm with do you think would be good? 150k? 100k?

I do not know if this will help but here is a small amount of information about the app:

It will be an RTS with 3D controlled character segments. Basially, it performs like a regular resource management game (some information withheld here but it has a unique plot and is not based in one point) but the twist is that if you control 'an army' you are able to control one character in that army and view the field from a 3D over the shoulder perspective. From here, you are able to command allies and activate items, perhaps even upgrading your weapons/shield/etc

Witholding some information there, looking on these forums and many other sites, I see that people believe there are few RTS games (of which this is one) on the app store but the (optional) element of 3D adds the unique twist.

5. dhondon

dhondon Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Norway
    Well, if the game will be an winner, why not take up an loan? Why not risk your own money? Or why not learn to code yourself?

6. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    I agree with them. $350,000 is an insane amount of money.

Also..I have never heard of Apalon..

7. SJP99

SJP99 Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Ipod Touch game player person like thing????
    11th dimension
    1. i have never ever heard of apalon
    2. why do you need that much money??!!!!!!

8. o0Autumn0o

o0Autumn0o Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Accountant
    Sheffield
    Financials is what I'm an expert in, and without a proven track record, fantastic financial outlooks and detailed reports, there's no way in hell anyone smart with money would invest!

Apps tend to never make huge profits, and with the market as it is, it takes a rare game to make and recoup amazing profits. Your initial outlay of £200,000 is just insane, I've had clients invest in PS3 games for much much less and for bigger profit margins!

9. originalcopy

originalcopy Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Who did you pitch your idea to?

10. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    This is clearly a total scam. It doesn't take freakin' $350,000 dollars to make a 3D RTS.

OK, well maybe if the quality is on par with Gameloft and other high-end RTS games. But $350,000 is a lot of money to recoup. I've never heard of Apalon either, never seen any of their apps, and haven't seen them making any money. They're just out for your money, don't even think about doing this.

Again, I repeat, do not go into this. You're in for a headache if you send $350,000 and they scam you. You've got numerous investors to deal with... it's just a headache. Not a good idea no matter how good you think the idea is.

$350,000 = 35,000 copies of your game at a $9.99 price point. The risk to benefit ratio is way too unbalanced. Too much risk, Apalon has no track record, and they're asking for a ridiculous amount of money. Not sure why you didn't see this in the first place.

11. RevolvingDoor

RevolvingDoor Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    On a more positive note, you could hire an artist, a coder, and a musician through this very board, and have your project professionally done at a tiny fraction of that cost.

12. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    dude - what are you smoking?

do you have justification as to where the £200,000 ($350,000 ish) comes from? sounds like two huge salaries for one year for both you and aussie2. nice try, but this doesn't fly. like others have mentioned, wtf is "apalon"? never heard of it. do you have a business plan? strategy? what is to stop a small indie developer actually just copying your idea when you have released it for a fraction of the price?

just because you have a good idea, it doesn't mean it'll sell. you need to be unique and maintain that uniqueness for as long as possible - this is when you make sales. with the idevice business, this "period of time" can be as little as 1 month long. good luck getting back that £200,000 ($350,000 ish) :)

13. Aussie2

Aussie2 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2010
    I was the one contacting apalon and they said that it would take 10,000 man hours and £200,000 GBP. At first I thought it was steep but as I'm not An expert in this I shrugged and continued. This thread has made me realised how ridiculous that was, thanks guys.

I would definetely give that a try, it seems more sensible than paying £200,000 :D

14. Aussie2

Mar 24, 2010
  15. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    i hope you signed an NDA :)

16. Took Apalon out of equation, edited original post.
    we will look into signing an NDA/patent/copyright etc once this kicks off. I have not given enough detail yet for it to be copied.

Thanks.

17. Silver Josh

Silver Josh Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    This is actually a clever idea and I'm glad you (Aussie2) listened to this guy's advice.

What you need is a very good idea.
    Doesn't need to be 3D or 4D.

Doodle Jump is a GREAT game and they made a huge amount of money.
    I have no idea how much they've invested on that game, but certainly the key of their success is not the money they invested (less than $350.000, I guess).

Don't start a project unless your idea has a good potential and is unique.

Buyers don't need clones. They want something new.
    It's not that easy, but I'm not one of those people who say "everything has been invented already".

Good luck and spend $350.000 for an house.

18. Aussie2

Mar 24, 2010
    Thanks for the Advice, yes I'm sure doodle jump didn't require high investment and whoever did invest must be raking it in, the idea is very original and has alot of potential if done right. I've seem nothing like it on the app store, or anywhere for that matter so think it could do very well. I don't think even gameloft spend €350,000 on games so I don't know where apalon got that from.

Haha I don't think the investors would be happy if we spent there money on a house