Do you know any scary gamers?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by dogface, Apr 21, 2012.

1. dogface

dogface Well-Known Member

In honour of my original thread, where I misspelt the title, please share your experience of scary gamers.

As a kid I would play my SNES on the living room TV, much to my mum's dismay. If she, or anyone said a word, and my character so happened to die, I would turn into Raegan from The Excorcist and hurl the worst abuse imaginable at her. I was an absolute crunt!

So far I have only moaned at my GF twice for putting me off whilst playing on my iPhone. Lol

Hope fully I have grown up...

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    This is really more of a Lounge topic...no offense.

I have to say, even though I consider myself to be an avid gamer, I find many if not most other "hardcore" gamers to be pretty darned scary. The level of intensity and outright hatred on display in the comment section of many popular gaming sites is unlike anything else I've seen in other types of fandom. The fact that gamers went out of their way to select EA as the worst company in America says it all in my book.

One of the reasons why appreciate TA is that the community seems (for the most part) way more mature and even keeled.

3. dogface

dogface Well-Known Member

I think hardcore gaming can potentially detach people from reality thus causing them to act like an animal lol

4. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Play any competitive team-based online game that gives players the ability to communicate with each other. Starcraft II and MW3 are are pretty awful when it comes to all kinds of shit being yelled constantly. Constantly.

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    The funny thing is, in person it's nowhere near as bad. I was at PAX for a bit a couple weeks ago, and the vibe was great: friendly and enthusiastic. Unfortunately, if you get the same folks behind a keyboard they kind of turn into monsters. Gotta love the Internet...

6. BeatScribe

BeatScribe Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2012
    Composer/Writer
    Illinois
    I used to know a kid who was way too into games. his parents bought him the entire video game inventory of a local video store that went out of business :eek:. his interaction with me was limited to the phone ringing, me saying hello, him saying "can you come?' and hanging up. when i got there he'd barely look up from playing his game and just hand me a controller. it was fun for a 10 year old, but i kind of wander where on earth that kid is today...:confused:

7. CDubby94

CDubby94 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Betty White
    i do!!

nd his name was the bat outta hell!!!!1! but hes gone now!!!!

8. NoNaN

NoNaN New Member

I used to throw some serious fits as a kid, but that was when I took my games WAY too seriously.

Nowadays I'm pretty mellow, after all, it's just a game. Plenty of other things in life to get worked up about.

9. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    Whoa... what a kid that is. You really should find out where he is.

10. BeatScribe

Apr 12, 2012
    Composer/Writer
    Illinois
    You know, I googled his name once, it was a very common name, no trace of him.

11. butterbean21

butterbean21 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2009
    Wow

Wow, I think the fact that his parents bought him an entire inventory of video games from a local game store tells it all! Can we say spoiled?! I can only imagine how he behaved, and the parents are only to blame!

On a side note, I would get PO'd when playing old school games like NES, and SNES, but those days are long gone-either I've mellowed out, or video games are much easier! i.e.: Play Mega Man for the NES if you want to test your patience level with games :) (Or Super Ghouls and Ghosts for the SNES)

12. BeatScribe

Apr 12, 2012
    Composer/Writer
    Illinois
    Original Megaman is horrifying at some points!! I still think MegaMan 2 is THE most perfect game ever. The weapons are so well-balanced, and most of them have a secondary purpose (i.e. bubble can help you find fake floors). The MUSIC is my single greatest inspiration. The reason I even make music today.

13. butterbean21

Nov 13, 2009
    Oh yes. MegaMan 2 is one of the most perfect games ever made for the NES, or ever. (I can list others of course) but that is one of my favorites. Like you said, best weapons, best boss battles, and the greatest soundtrack for an NES game ever.

In fact, I have the SoundTrack on a playlist on my iPhone :)

14. BeatScribe

Apr 12, 2012
    Composer/Writer
    Illinois
    #14 BeatScribe, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
    Me too! I don't even need remixes to enjoy that stuff! My space shooter sample song is directly inspired by Megaman 2 songs! I've been meaning to do a totally authentic 8-bit NSF of it, just for kicks.

I think what made MegaMan 2 so great is that it was a labor of love. Megaman 1 was a commercial failure, they weren't going to make any more games. The programmers didn't want to give up on the little blue dude though, so they kept working nights and weekends to fix everything that was wrong with Megaman 1. Its something to be said for doing something because you love it instead of following some corporate directive.

15. butterbean21

Nov 13, 2009
    haha! I agree- MegaMan 2 Soundtrack is amazing as is!

The Space Shooter sampler is awesome! I just had a listen!

I love working out to the Mega Man 2 soundtrack, totally nerding out while on the treadmill or stairclimber :) lol

Yes- Mega Man was so poorly done, I could never get into it. It was Mega Man 2 that got me into the franchise, and even Mega Man 3 was a gem- but nothing compares to part 2 hands down! :)

16. BeatScribe

Apr 12, 2012
    Composer/Writer
    Illinois
    Thanks! Its the megaman-ish-ness...:confused: that makes it so great. One of my favorite pieces.

Thats totally me too! Or jogging thru old probably-unsafe, industrial areas just because they look like Megaman X...:D

17. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Same here, I would get seriously mad when I was younger. I guess I was a "scary gamer" in that sense.

I don't really get get mad anymore.

I would also like to say that Kotaku is full of "scary gamers" of all kinds. I guess that's not really exclusive to Kotaku though, it'z juzt da intranet.

18. butterbean21

Nov 13, 2009
    @BeatScribe: Jogging through an industrial area while playing Mega Man 2 ST is just awesome :) Only a retro gamer nerd could understand!

@S.I.D: lol- yeah I think it's definitely an age thing in terms of tempers and playing games

Another side note: I actually knew a Mom of 3 who got into the Game Gear, (this was about 15 years ago) and was playing Mickey's Land of Illusion- she got so PO'd, she threw the Game Gear across the room- of course being the brick of a system that it was, it was unscathed, and still worked :p

Retro games were definitely more unforgiving! :)

19. Peewhy

Peewhy Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Puberty creates scary gamers

20. Lol, this had me rolling! :)

This totally reminded me of when I was young. I remember spiking my NES controllers when I'd lose in Tecmo Super Bowl! They sure don't make controllers like they used to! :)