Well it's official, Gameloft is the #1 iphone game developer

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Kita, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Kita

Kita Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Boston
    Seriously they are like the Nintendo of the iphone now with all these amazing high quality games coming out. At first I thought it would be Ngmoco but they don't have as near many releases and I'm not a fan of them teasing some of their games and they turn out to be shallow and gimmicky you play a few times and delete. I might as well sell one of my kidneys at the rate gameloft is releasing all these great games. It's almost too much which is unheard of for a game developer (isn't it usually the opposite?) :mad:

2. julzsantana15

julzsantana15 Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Michigan
    I already knew that gameloft was #1 a long time ago, but thanks for all the sweet games Gameloft!

3. woot! gameloft appreciation thread

i'm getting a #%@er looking at dungeon hunter

can't wait

4. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    they've been around the longest.... since the 90's...

5. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    you mean thread? :rolleyes:

6. beetle004

beetle004 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    good going gameloft.

7. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I wouldn't say that they're the "Nintendo of the iPhone/touch". I'd say they're closer to the UbiSoft of the iPhone/touch, which makes sense as they are UbiSoft's sister company and have a similar output in terms of overall product.

8. spawn12345

spawn12345 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    They are really pumping out great looking and quality games!

And I love you for bringing a diablo clone to the iphone, just fantastic!!!!
    I want to make sweet love with you all :D

9. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    :eek:

10. Pug4Death

Pug4Death Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    #10 Pug4Death, Sep 3, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
    In your opinion. I'll say they are definitely in the Top 10, but not the best. I just wish they polished their games like ngmoco.

11. MrDark

MrDark Well-Known Member

May 3, 2009
    Oh No, gameloft wanna take over the world, gonna run........ to buy their games now.

Only complain to them is do more INNOVATION games instead of just Clone & Change Theme. :cool:

12. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    +1. I'm getting tired of them making cloned games.

13. sf49lu

sf49lu Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Sylvania, OH
    As long as their so called "cloned" games are fun, who gives a rat's ass? I know I don't. I love their new games. Also, they are not just exact copies, they each have their own innovations and innovative features.

14. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    #14 salsamd, Sep 3, 2009

Because the games they clone already exist on the idevice platform???

They more $ they make on these "easy" clones that are in high demand amongst idevice owners who don't have consoles and PSPs, or who merely want a single portable gaming/PDA device, the more $ they will be able to ultimately invest in novel games for the future of the device. I see these clones as a valid means of building investment revenue, while meeting a demand that strongly exists.

15. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

#15 Will090, Sep 3, 2009
    Its going to be interesting to see what happens after they make a game for every popular genre if they make more games of the most most popular genres (BIA and MC:S) or come up with some original stuff

Personally the only gameloft games I have enjoyed are Let's Golf, HoS, and Gangstar

16. monk666

monk666 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Second you on that. Gameloft is the top dog now, only other competitor is EA who holds more big IPs like scrabble and tetris.

I don't even consider ngmoco as a competitor to these two by a long shot. Seriously, the crowd of smaller publishers/devs such as Chillingo, Freeverse, iugo, glu, firemint etc all either has more or better quality titles. The only thing going for ngmoco is that they are funded by the iFund and Apple gives it preferential treatment with all the speeches and features. Take that away, it is just a substandard publisher that hypes up their hollow-shelled games. I mean, look at dropship and stardefense, wassup with those crap. The only decent games were the 2 rolandos and all the credit goes to the creator and developer HandCircus. Rolando would probably do better if HandCircus published it themselves.

17. deadweight

deadweight Well-Known Member

Yeah. Three cheers for Gameloft for crushing the backbone of indie developers by conquering every genre with massive budgets and dumping them on the crowd for $0.99. You guys rule. [/Angry Bitter Dev Rant]

... that said, they do make killer games. :eek:

18. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Gameloft is okay, nowhere near the Nintendo of the iPhone.

19. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I'd say they were top 10, but personally as good as the gameplay is... I think 3D modelling looks fugly on the iPhone... I prefer to play stuff with amazing 2D artwork.

20. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    Only Gameloft game I enjoyed was Let's Golf. and I agree about the 3d: